Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Can anyone tell me why this game doesn't create more buzz??

Such a great game that no one really talks about.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first off so many games these days!

There is a concern that the base game has a basis to just a person strategy, rather than building canals. In my experience, this is true. The expansion helps to reduce the bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

I like Bruges a lot, but it's still not Feld's strongest, so it's in that very contested "Good, but not Great" field where a lot of games get lost in the shuffle. The fact it sort of needs parts, and only parts, of the expansion to fix certain balance considerations doesn't help.

It's currently ranked 161, so it' within top 2% of game entries, which is pretty good, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

It doesn't help that it's out of print! I still haven't had a chance to try this little gem..... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

But you're right, very low buzz and I'm not sure exactly why. Also, for me, it's hard to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
For me, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

But you're right, very low buzz and I'm not sure exactly why. Also, for me, it's hard to get to the table.

It has couple of things going against it - for one, Stefan Feld has put out a ton of designs in the last 10 years. For two, it's much more difficult to keep in print, since it's heavily text based game. And two of it's biggest regional publishers are Hans-im-Gluck, into whose library it's not the best fit and Z-Man, which has a massive catalogue and probably other priorities to reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite Feld game (of the ones I've played) and I've never even tried out the expansion.

Regarding the buzz, I don't know. Like others have pointed out, there are so many games out there that most buzz is created by brand new games or games about to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake11Simon wrote:

There is a concern that the base game has a basis to just a person strategy, rather than building canals. In my experience, this is true. The expansion helps to reduce the bias.

Agreed. Since I, sadly, didn't snap up the expansion, we made a few changes to the canal victory point chits to make the canals a viable option. My daughter LOVES this game and whoops me every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
homtchr2013 wrote:
Jake11Simon wrote:

Agreed. Since I, sadly, didn't snap up the expansion, we made a few changes to the canal victory point chits to make the canals a viable option. My daughter LOVES this game and whoops me every time!

what changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
homtchr2013 wrote:
Jake11Simon wrote:

what changes?

There's two statue tokens that are worth 8 and 9 points to encourage completing canals. And the module with ships that give you bonus actions works of canal building action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Jake11Simon wrote:
There is a concern that the base game has a basis to just a person strategy, rather than building canals. In my experience, this is true.

I always thought that it's pretty obvious that the game is all about persons. That's certainly the point of having so many different ones. Canal building is either a secondary action or something that synergizes with persons that help you at building canals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoTiger wrote:
Jake11Simon wrote:
There is a concern that the base game has a basis to just a person strategy, rather than building canals. In my experience, this is true.

I always thought that it's pretty obvious that the game is all about persons. That's certainly the point of having so many different ones. Canal building is either a secondary action or something that synergizes with persons that help you at building canals.

Yes totally agree - canals can be worth it if you get the right person cards. I haven't played the expansion, but very much enjoy the base game. I do recall that Rahdo (in his reviews) thought that the expansion went too far in making the canals basically a must do rather than a do them if they fit your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Shayko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Canals with the Zwin Expansion:

One module of the expansion allows you to spend workers when performing a canal building action. The workers used depends on the 3s and 4s rolled that turn. For example if a yellow and purple 3 were rolled, then during that turn if you build any color canal you in addition can spend a yellow or purple worker to take the benefit randomly associated with that color. Some of these benefits are: 6 lira, 3 workers any color, remove 2 threats, use a lighting person action again and move 1 step up the reputation track.

This makes canals clearly better and opens new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niczone wrote:
On Canals with the Zwin Expansion:

One module of the expansion allows you to spend workers when performing a canal building action. The workers used depends on the 3s and 4s rolled that turn. For example if a yellow and purple 3 were rolled, then during that turn if you build any color canal you in addition can spend a yellow or purple worker to take the benefit randomly associated with that color. Some of these benefits are: 6 lira, 3 workers any color, remove 2 threats, use a lighting person action again and move 1 step up the reputation track.

This makes canals clearly better and opens new strategies.

Even without the boats, I'm in the habit of using the 5th player statue tokes (8 and 9 points) in smaller player count games. They boost the canals a bit without any additional mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.