Popular Tags: [View All]
J K Sasser
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be some confusion by several, including me, on what is included in the Viking Age of Expansion box. Here is a breakdown of everything included in Loki's Trick and Freyja's Favor kickstarter pledges:

878:Vikings-Invasion of England (Components most likely available in retail version)
Core Game
Army Plastic Miniatures (Unique Faction)
New Event Cards
Fyrd Plastic Miniatures
Extra Event Cards (X6)
Individual Faction Trays with Lids
Last Kingdom Scenario
Planning Map
Raid on England Scenario

"878 The Viking Age of Expansion" Expansion
(Included with Kickstarter pledges, likely sold separately after Kickstarter)
Kingdom Cards
Viking Forts
Relic and Holy Places
Lagertha
Churches
Extra Relic and Holy Place (x2)
Viking Settlements
Legend Cards
Epic Battles
Extra Legend Cards
Kings of England
Viking Ship Tokens
Extra Relics
Ragnar
Rune and Prayer Dice
Extra Epic Battle Cards
Relic Quest Scenario

Kickstarter Free (likely not included in retail box. One may be able to get these if you purchase the game directly from Academy Games after the Kickstarter campaign - supplies may be limited)
Treaty Board
Wooden Card Holders
Leader Movement Tokens
English Ship Tokens

878 Vikings Kickstarter Add-ons (likely sold separately after Kickstarter while supplies last)
Wooden Cubes $5
Giant Map $50
Leader Miniatures $20
Building Miniatures $20
Limited Edition 60mm Detailed Scale Models (painted) $75
75 ct Cards Sleeves $1.25 (2 sets recommended)
Other Academy Games in the "Birth of" series (1754,1775,1812) and Freedom Underground Railroad $60 each
Viking Long Ships $18

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The need for this thread (and thank you for doing it) is a great example of a bad campaign. Pledge Levels should never be this confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
The need for this thread (and thank you for doing it) is a great example of a bad campaign. Pledge Levels should never be this confusing.
I'm all for them making a chart showing what stretch goal is available how after the KS (which is different from pledge levels) to show it at a quick glance, but is "look which one of three images is next to the stretch goal" really considered that confusing?

As a matter of fact I found this post almost more confusing (albeit much quicker and nicer to look at) than the long list due to all the "likely"'s. Between the KS, official comments, and the way Academy handled products for the previous games (e.g. card holders, treaty boards) all the info seems very solid rather than just likely.

EDIT: Looks like the statement that solidifed my understanding of what is available how in retail was only in single a Kickstarter comment after all, since those comment sections are moving pretty quick here it is for easy reference:
Academy Games wrote:
Hello Varun - Yes, every pledge, including Loki's Trick, will include all unlocked stretch goals. We are a bunch of military and engineering guys, so we like everything nicely ordered. Upgrade Stretch Goals - will be included in every game available in the future. Expansion Stretch Goals - will be included in the Vikings Age Expansion box, which will have limited distribution and will have a ~$50 MSRP. Free KS Stretch Goals - are items that you will receive with your pledge. These include, for example, our $15 Wooden Card Holder Sets. These have very limited distribution or no distribution (limited to the KS supporters). These will not be packaged in either the Base 878 Vikings Box or the Vikings Age Box, but will be bagged together separately when shipped to you. I hope this clarifies our attempt at categorizing the stretch goals. Maybe it was not necessary, but hey, gather a bunch of people in a planning session and we can come up with all kinds of ideas! - Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K Sasser
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
[q="blockhead"]As a matter of fact I found this post almost more confusing (albeit much quicker and nicer to look at) than the long list due to all the "likely"'s. Between the KS, official comments, and the way Academy handled products for the previous games (e.g. card holders, treaty boards) all the info seems very solid rather than just likely.

I would agree. All of the "likely"s are based on Academy Games prior Kickstarter campaigns and rewards. But, since I am not affiliated with Academy Games I wanted to leave it open ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jksasser wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
[q="blockhead"]As a matter of fact I found this post almost more confusing (albeit much quicker and nicer to look at) than the long list due to all the "likely"'s. Between the KS, official comments, and the way Academy handled products for the previous games (e.g. card holders, treaty boards) all the info seems very solid rather than just likely.

I would agree. All of the "likely"s are based on Academy Games prior Kickstarter campaigns and rewards. But, since I am not affiliated with Academy Games I wanted to leave it open ended.
Fair enough, I actually just edited my post above to include the comment were they confirm what's what regarding retail availability (though for the KS Free stuff it still isn't 100% clear what's available and what isn't)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
quick clarifying question:

Now that the minis have been unlocked, will the cube add on be needed to use cubes? of will the game come with the cubes as originally made and the minis?

I love using cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang1701 wrote:
quick clarifying question:

Now that the minis have been unlocked, will the cube add on be needed to use cubes? of will the game come with the cubes as originally made and the minis?

I love using cubes.
No cubes unless you pay the $5. Lets face it, they had no intention of ever shipping this game with cubes... I'm very thankful that they at least made it simple for those like you and me to still get them.
No cubes in retail at all, unless Academy Games has some left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]No cubes unless you pay the $5. Lets face it, they had no intention of ever shipping this game with cubes... I'm very thankful that they at least made it simple for those like you and me to still get them.
No cubes in retail at all, unless Academy Games has some left over. [/q]

My buddy and I were lamenting the fact that more and more games are coming with "toys"...how we really enjoy cubes on the board. The conversation started as were were wondering if the large board was "necessary" due to the amount of space minis would take up on the board compared to cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
blockhead wrote:

Everything except for the add-ons are included in every pledge ...

Not sure how that is confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big minis guy, but this is one case where I think cubes work great. Kind of like how I don't feel compelled to paint the army men in Memoir 44. Certain things should just be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hughey
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive4 wrote:
No cubes in retail at all, unless Academy Games has some left over.

Well that is disappointing. The previous games are so elegant partly because of the abstraction of forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
You can buy cubes from lots of places these days, and cheap too.

I'd rather get the miniatures, and then get some cubes either from Academy or from some other source for a few bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a great bucket of 1000 plastic counting cubes for like $25 shipped. They're a little bigger than what's in the BoE series, but they'll be just fine for my prototype. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Man the Leader and Building Miniatures with the Giant Map is incredibly tempting but I don't know if it would give $85 worth of extra enjoyment. Personally, I'll be sticking to the base pledge.

1754 was the first Birth of game that I got really excited for. Can't wait for that and this to arrive now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest worry now has become that the simple quick fun elegance of the Birth of America series is going to be replaced by some bloated overproduced confusing box of ridiculousness that may look good but will never actually make it to the table a second time.

Like Fief. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
My biggest worry now has become that the simple quick fun elegance of the Birth of America series is going to be replaced by some bloated overproduced confusing box of ridiculousness that may look good but will never actually make it to the table a second time.

Like Fief. shake

Fear not Sean! The base game will be "simple quick fun elegance" still, as the expansions are modular, or can be completely left out if you choose.

Just some more options for those who like options.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be totally honest, I find nothing confusing about the Kickstarter campaign. Seems pretty clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K Sasser
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodr wrote:
To be totally honest, I find nothing confusing about the Kickstarter campaign. Seems pretty clear to me.

Personally I was confused about what came in the 878 The Viking Age of Expansion Expansion. Initially there were no details about the expansion.

Now, after some deep thought, I am aware that at the beginning of the campaign the expansion box was just an empty box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jksasser wrote:
Now, after some deep thought, I am aware that at the beginning of the campaign the expansion box was just an empty box.
Only in so far as at the beginning of the campaign the game would have shipped with just one scenario, not even an intro scenario like any of the Birth of America games have always included.

I'd really love to find out what the plan is if the funding doesn't go high enough for any given stretch goal, especially one that is for something already included in an existing BoA game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
@J K Sasser - I like what you did with your microbadges thumbsup

I get the concern about "feature creep" with this game. I find myself wishing they would just stop. This has become a very different animal from what I was hoping for and expecting, and most of the seemingly endless stretch goals seem to be getting a little uneccessary for lack of a better word.

I understand that they are modular, and there's nothing stopping me from playing it as a true 'Birth of...' game (after ponying up extra for the cubes), which I will probably do. I've just never felt this uneasy about an Academy Kickstarter campaign before (I wasn't in on Mare Nostrum or Fief).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
@J K Sasser - I like what you did with your microbadges thumbsup

I get the concern about "feature creep" with this game. I find myself wishing they would just stop. This has become a very different animal from what I was hoping for and expecting, and most of the seemingly endless stretch goals seem to be getting a little uneccessary for lack of a better word.

I understand that they are modular, and there's nothing stopping me from playing it as a true 'Birth of...' game (after ponying up extra for the cubes), which I will probably do. I've just never felt this uneasy about an Academy Kickstarter campaign before (I wasn't in on Mare Nostrum or Fief).
I'm sure they planned out exactly which stretch goals they will have and by the end of it it will be the game and expansion they wanted to make in the first place.
I agree that the expansion will have a lot of things that seem like feature creep, but IMO the stretch goal system isn't the cause. They are simply using it to slowly reveal new stuff as a marketing tactic.

I mean, would they really have shipped the game without an intro scenario (something all BoA games had so far) if the game didn't reach 19 times the funding level? Of course not, the game/expansion as they are designed are meant to include all the stretch goals from the very beginning, but this way people will get excited about it and hopefully pledge more money.

I wish this wasn't necessary and they could have just said form the beginning "Here's the game and expansion we want to make, here's the price. If we reach $X well use thicker cardboard, if we reach $Y we'll make nicer cards. No other stretch goals", but considering how well this KS is doing it's hard to argue against it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wish this wasn't necessary and they could have just said form the beginning "Here's the game and expansion we want to make, here's the price. If we reach $X well use thicker cardboard, if we reach $Y we'll make nicer cards. No other stretch goals", but considering how well this KS is doing it's hard to argue against it...

It is indeed hard to argue against success, but I too wish they had just listed all the stretch goals from the start. You're probably right, but it gave the impression (to me at least) that they were making it up as they went. The state of CG software these days would have made that pretty easy.

IDK, I might cancel my pledge and pre-order it from someone else. They'll never miss my pledge (now), and there's this other game that is running concurrently that I'd really like to back.

In any case, I have 26 days to make up my mind, and that other game ends 24 hours afterward so there would still be time to back it (ironically, it's also Viking themed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
Quote:

It is indeed hard to argue against success, but I too wish they had just listed all the stretch goals from the start. You're probably right, but it gave the impression (to me at least) that they were making it up as they went. The state of CG software these days would have made that pretty easy.

IDK, I might cancel my pledge and pre-order it from someone else. They'll never miss my pledge (now), and there's this other game that is running concurrently that I'd really like to back.

In any case, I have 26 days to make up my mind, and that other game ends 24 hours afterward so there would still be time to back it (ironically, it's also Viking themed).
If you aren't interested in the expansion and are willing to wait you are almost guaranteed to get it cheaper. However, I doubt that the price of base game + expansion will drop below the KS price, even factoring in shipping.
Also, you may or may not get the KS goodies like the treaty board and card holders. They will be available from AG, but probably not from other retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
Quote:

Almost no kickstarters that I have seen recently list all of their stretch goals up front. It is just the way things are done now.

For the record, I have seen a copy of 1775 that the owner had purchased figures similar to these for, and it admittedly looked great and was not crowded, so I am hopeful that that will be the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that some of the cards say "cube". I wonder if they'll change them to say "unit" or something more generic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.