New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THREE KINGDOMS REDUX
THE FIRST GAMES

By Chas

First Solitaire

Just finished my first solitaire of Three Kingdoms Redux (Starting Player/Singapore, 3 Players) yesterday, in preparation for my first live opponent game today. I gave it a good workout, and I think I tried every possible game action and basic strategy. It gave me a good workout too, as I had to take care of everything myself, and yet only made one rules mistake on one turn (I think). Of course, when you're so busy solitairing, its hard to fine tune these strategies, which I'll try when I have only one player position to deal with (as well as teaching the game). 

I was surprised that in a game where there are nine ways to score VPs, there was only one tie score between two of the three players (States) in only one of these categories. More amazing, given the very different strategies attempted by each state and different outcomes was the final score:

Wei 29, Wu 28, Shu 27.

I find in general that games with different ways of scoring VPs that end up with close scores are well designed. In this fun and rather genteel game, the final score would seem to speak for itself!

This is a very well received game on borrdgamegeek, with great rules and graphics which summarize them on the board so well you hardly need to look things up! Its also very beautiful for a game that sticks to cardboard. TKRs Second Printing will be available--in the US for the first time--soon, with preorder starting April 1. It is three player only, though I imagine you can play teams of two for each state, especially while learning it.

First Live Game

The next day two pals came over to try it out with me. I'm happy to say that all three of us really enjoyed our first live three player game of TKR. Some things happened that were similar to the solitaire game, but the interplay among us was of course much more interesting! Final Score Wei 12 Wu 36 Shu 31. The replay value should be great, because of the many different general and state enhancement cards that can come out, and in a different order and distribution among the participants. And of course I'll be trying it with different players, and running different states. I was very lucky to glom onto this First Edition copy from the pal of a bgg poster who I happened to PM, and who turned out to have an "extra" copy to sell me.

Another nice thing is the historical information built into the game about the culture and technology of China in 200 CE, and the evocation of so many of the great characters from the Chinese Iliad Romance of the Three Kingdoms, whose powers and stats reflect their roles in the novels and history. Having just watched 95 hours of the 2010 Chinese TV portrayal of the story, I can only say that when the Imperial Jade Seal, the talisman of legitimacy for an emperor, showed up in the State Enhancement card deck, I had to have it! And there are so many other correct things in the game, that you are transported back to that era very effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
May I invite you to log your game results here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.