Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Sherlock Holmes consulting detective game in the 1984 second addition binder. This also has the mansion murders included in the binder as well. I didn't have an original copy of the queen park affair. And the west end murders.

How do they stack up against the new version of the game? I have been thinking about purchasing the new West End addition because it includes the jack the ripper murder. Would people suggest me selling my old collection to buy the new sets or are the old collections still worth something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cases inside have been changed sometimes. First they were translated into French, then if the solution was seen as able to be improved, they did that including the text for some clues, then the cases were translated back into English.

So if you want to be able to play the most cases, keep what you have and buy the new ones also. If you want to make some money, sell the old cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
You can play those original games you have now and then purchase the new ones (Jack + East End). You don't need one to play the other. While there are some changes from the original to the new but they basically play the same and more or less have the same story/plot and clues. The wording has changed and I've read that the solutions might be a little different, but the games are basically the same. So you can keep what you have now and also purchase the new Jack/East End. I just wouldn't go back and try and find the old West End version in that case. What I do know is that you can't mix them. You either play the original, or the new. It has been mentioned before but each game groups are stand alone (Original (Vol 1), Murder Mansion (Vol 2), and Jack/East End are stand-alone games and don't share info other than the use of the directory and map).

The question is should you play the original game in the old version, or sell it and buy the new one. Personally, I have the original games and enjoy playing them. But the new versions are very slick and well produced. But to be honest, the real genius of the game was from the original version. That was when the original stories were written and plotted. But I am certainly glad that these have all been reproduced and keeping the game alive, so I'm not knocking that this was done. There are new original cases in French that I can't wait for English printing. Hopefully later this year. There are also some fan based stand-alone, for the most part, games available.

Remember, it may be a while until the Mansion Murders is reproduced in English. It will most likely be called by the French version of the game - The Carlton House. But I don't have the inside track what it will be called when they reprint it here in the US. And since you already have the original Mansion Murders you might as well play the original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.