mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm new to this board game forum and have never played this game but did watch a somewhat positive review (Tom Vasel) and am very interested in it.

What do YOU like about LoA?

What other games are comparable (in any aspect) to LoA?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty broad question. I would recommend reading the comments sectiong here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127398/legends-andor/rat...

This gives you a good idea of why people like/dislike this game.

Other games comparable to this one...

I'd say probable the game that is most alike this is The Dwarves but I don't think it si nearly as good although it is still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to reading user comments.

For me, Andor is quite unlike Pandemic or Forbidden Island. And, in fact, it is unlike most cooperative games that I have played.

Andor combines:
- A very rich world and story
- Reasonable randomness, with card/tile draws, and dice for combat
- Deep thinky puzzle-solving

For me, the puzzley nature really sets it apart. I find that Pandemic (to pick just one co-op example) can be played fairly intuitively, at least at the lower difficulty levels. You can look a few moves ahead, a few times during the game, and mostly do OK. With Andor, you really must think several moves ahead, throughout the entire game, to have a chance. I enjoy that, but my wife, who prefers an intuitive style, finds it frustrating.

The other big complaint some people have is that you have to avoid killing too many monsters. If you're looking for hack-and-slash, Andor isn't it.

There are several video runthroughs that you could watch, if you want to really understand how the game plays. However, they will spoil some of the story and plot twists, so I could understand wanting to avoid them.

You (killerjoe) seem to enjoy flavor text (e.g. Eldritch Horror), and you also seem to enjoy strategic euros (e.g. Marco Polo and Ulm). However, you also rated Caylus and Suburbia quite low, so it's clear that you don't enjoy every strategic Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
somewhat positive review (Tom Vasel)

Tom Vasel played only 1.5 learning scenarios as I understood from the video. I really recommend you to watch rahdo final thoughts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM4de-s5inA)

killerjoe1962 wrote:
What do YOU like about LoA?

Most of all I like differences in scenarios (Legends) - each time it's like whole new game. There is 5 in the box and 3 that you can print from official site. I don't even talk about fan-made legends...

Also it scales very well. It's equally interesting to play with 2-4 players (5-6 with expansion and some houserules).

I don't like randomness in Legend 3 - sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy, but you can play with hard difficulty level recommended in FAQ and then it's constantly hard And bosses in Legend 3 kinda too weak. You'll want to tweak them after several plays.

Also I don't like Legend 1 - it's boring .

Maybe game could use some more flavor text.

killerjoe1962 wrote:
What other games are comparable (in any aspect) to LoA?

I don't know, maybe Runebound in sense that you can move your hero around big map, fight monsters via dice, explore, buy some stuff (not that many) and at the end fight big boss. But at the same time game requires you to think a lot and make everything as efficient as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
I don't like randomness in Legend 3 - sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy, but you can play with hard difficulty level recommended in FAQ and then it's constantly hard And bosses in Legend 3 kinda too weak. You'll want to tweak them after several plays.

I like the randomness in Legend 3. Sometimes it's kind of hard, sometimes it's really hard. I haven't wanted to tweak the bosses after 16 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.