Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*** Ignore this post. We were playing the card wrong. ***

Just started playing this game. My opponent got this card in the first round. Does this mean they essentially get an additional die each round? So if they are player 1 they snatch two dice immediately? The only way I can use the snatched die is to PAY them resources.

We just started playing and this feels really broken. Enough to really sour my initial impressions. I have a card that allows me to do something similar (use the resource of the current round), but it's SO much weaker by comparison (I have to pay VP to use it).

This really feels imbalanced. I don't see how I am going to be able to catch up with that Tenant card coming out in the game so early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You have it a little wrong, here is the explanation fron Ode

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16624653#16624653
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I think I get it. Is this correct?

If the player with the Tenant card picks the die, he places it on his spot and pays nothing to do so.

If another player wants that die, he takes the Tenant die and puts it on his farm spot, but he must pay that player a farm good.

If no one picks the Tenant die, it goes back into the middle and everyone uses it for free.

NO ONE will ever have more than 2 die on their farm board in this scenario.

If this is correct it makes a WORLD of a difference! The Tenant card can basically be used to deny a player dice. I still think it's pretty OP, as it allows the Tenant player double first pick if he is player 1 in turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

If the player with the Tenant card picks the die, he places it on his spot and pays nothing to do so.

No. He places it in front of his tableau. Not on his tableau. The die ist still free to be used. Nobody used it by now. It's just there.

JustinRRizzo wrote:

If another player wants that die, he takes the Tenant die and puts it on his farm spot, but he must pay that player a farm good.

Yes.

JustinRRizzo wrote:

If no one picks the Tenant die, it goes back into the middle and everyone uses it for free.

Yes.

JustinRRizzo wrote:

NO ONE will ever have more than 2 die on their farm board in this scenario.

Yes, but that is nothing special for this scenario. Nobody will have more than two dice on his board. Ever.

JustinRRizzo wrote:

If this is correct it makes a WORLD of a difference! The Tenant card can basically be used to deny a player dice.

No, it cannot.

JustinRRizzo wrote:

I still think it's pretty OP, as it allows the Tenant player double first pick if he is player 1 in turn order.

It's not OP. You just did not play it right. How can I help you? Did you realize that "to choose" the die as the tennant it doesn't mean that you "use" it?

Why do you think there can be more than two dice on a players mat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played through the rest of the game with the new understanding of the rules and it made a big difference. I do not think it's broken at all. Thanks for the help!

We enjoyed the game. It did feel like it ended a bit quick (6 rounds). In a way it felt like it ended before I was able to build a moving engine, but I suppose that makes you really have to choose between craft markets and barrows, as even if the game had gone on longer I would not have had many more places to play on the craft markets.

A good game, though. Can't wait to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
BE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just "1 and 1/2 first pick", because this die he can't use immediately (he could as his 1. pick, but this would be stupid). The other Player still can pick it, but he has to pay the cost.

It's a nice advantage for this player, and especially in a 2 player game cool

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:
It's just "1 and 1/2 first pick", because this die he can't use immediately (he could as his 1. pick, but this would be stupid). The other Player still can pick it, but he has to pay the cost.

It's a nice advantage for this player, and especially in a 2 player game cool

Enjoy!

Yes, that's what I was getting at. If you are player 1 and you have the tenant you get to pick the two dice you want first. A very nice advantage, but not OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
If you are player 1 and you have the tenant you get to pick the two dice you want first. A very nice advantage, but not OP.

No, you're not... The die for the Tennant can always be picked by another player. So you won't be getting it in the case it gets picked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
If you are player 1 and you have the tenant you get to pick the two dice you want first. A very nice advantage, but not OP.

No, you're not... The die for the Tennant can always be picked by another player. So you won't be getting it in the case it gets picked...

So if I was player 1 and I had tenant, I put one die in front of tableau immediately after dice are rolled, I can then either pick that die as my draft die (since I'm first in the order) or I can draft another die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

So if I was player 1 and I had tenant, I put one die in front of tableau immediately after dice are rolled, I can then either pick that die as my draft die (since I'm first in the order) or I can draft another die.

Yes. But why would you pick a die as the Tenant that you want to pick by yourself if you are 1st player? You could have taken that die anyway.

You cannot hold the die back from your oppnents. You just put a price tag on it...

What you want to do with the Tenant as first player is to choose a die that somebody else wants and let him pay for it. Or you choose a die you want to be costly so nobody wants it and you can get it as your 2nd die. Choosing a die for the Tenant and use it right away would be not using the ability of the Tenant...

If you are not first player you might want to pick a die that you want for yourself. Put the price tag on it and hope no one will take it. Or you make a die that everybody wants a bit more expensive for the other players. So they get the die, but you get a small reward...

Either way: Taking a die and placing it in front of your tableau is the way to mark this die as "taking this die cast you 2 silver or one good". It's not out of the pool. Well, it is literally. But it's not for the pool of dice you can choose one from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.