MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
Are there any medical or doctor/nurse, even fantasy healers--themed games out there besides the Pandemic games?

(I'm not fond of Pandemic's traveling and trading mechanics.)

I've seen Dynamite Nurse Returns, but the sexy anime nurse fanservice and "Take That" mechanic were major turn offs.

Any other games?

~*~Thank you,
Sincerely,
MaryJane~*~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Troller of Trolls
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game that is out called Healthy Heart Hospital. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186721/healthy-heart-hos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hospital Rush

Field Hospital

Emergency Treatment Center is a new game from Family Pastimes that does not have an entry on BGG yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

Quarantine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clinic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

+1 for that one.

If you liked the basic "control the disease outbreaks" concept of Pandemic even though you didn't care for some of the mechanics, you might like to consider Infection Express, which is a lighter dice game inspired by Pandemic. It's also a PnP, so costs next to nothing to try.

Even though it's part of the genre, I recommend you *avoid* Intern, which is one of Avalon Hill's worst misfires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint Fire Rescue is pretty fun. But you're bringing victims to the ambulance, not so much treating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. I'll do a lot more research on these games and see how they play.

But, wow, lots of components there, lol. Hopefully, I can wrap my head around the gameplay. laugh

The reason I was looking atDynamite Nurse was because it had somewhat easy Dominion-like gameplay alongside the healing theme, and it didn't have lots of components (just lots of cards and some life tokens). If it wasn't for the nasty "Take That" mechanics and the gratuitous sexy skimpily-clad nurse stuff, I would have definitely have funded its kickstarter...

I'll have to check to see if these other games are not too fiddly with the components and are more straightforward than they seem.

shaneslunchbox wrote:
There is a game that is out called Healthy Heart Hospital. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/186721/healthy-heart-hos...

I think I've seen that in the store a while back. I think it got reprinted at my gameshop. Definitely will take a closer look at its gameplay mechanics. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
bwingrave wrote:
Hospital Rush

Field Hospital

Emergency Treatment Center is a new game from Family Pastimes that does not have an entry on BGG yet.

Ooh, all of that looks interesting!

For the Field Hospital, is that a Print and Play game?

For the ETC game, is it only available at that site? Will it be available in retail, like CoolStuffInc gameshops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Samardza

princess anne
Maryland
msg tools
Trauma Case Inbound,wargamevault pnp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Hrubec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Latina Bunny wrote:
Are there any medical or doctor/nurse, even fantasy healers--themed games out there besides the Pandemic games?

(I'm not fond of Pandemic's traveling and trading mechanics.)

I've seen Dynamite Nurse Returns, but the sexy anime nurse fanservice and "Take That" mechanic were major turn offs.

Any other games?

~*~Thank you,
Sincerely,
MaryJane~*~

If you are willing to give a Pandemic game another try, Pandemic Iberia went a great deal to solve those issues (i.e. what exactly are these cards supposed to represent?) for me.

In Iberia, the trading is the same, but traveling with cards is only done though a sail movement action, and you discard a card of the same color as your destination. (Continental movement has regular movement and you can also build a railroad).

For me that mostly, addresses the issue as mostly I can view the cards as samples of the diseases as not weird virus/plane tickets. Occasionally, they are ship tickets though. (I guess, the sample spoiled in transit?)

There's also a very thematic variant where the infection cubes move towards the hospital (to represent the sick people going to get treatment) that makes the game a bit more thematic as well.

Dunno of any other healer themed games (outside of games that would have a healer class, I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Hospital is Print and Play - I can't remember where we got our copy. We enjoy playing it.

Healthy Heart Hospital is a co-op and you can play it solo (and it's hard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Healthy Heart Hospital is a great game. Yes it's hard but not Ghost Stories hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MASHED: A Korean War MASH RPG

Its an RPG, but definitely medically themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wilson
United States
Maple Grove
MN
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are a few lists of these:

The Doctor is in: The definitive list of medical themed games...
Emergency! Games with a theme of police/ambulance/fire resuce (less definitive)

My Classroom list - I teach a medical class and have been collecting medical themed games. I have a list of those games along with games I am interested in adding to the collection.

A couple of games are coming out this Spring/Summer that fit this category:

Paramedics Clear! - Curing patients but you still have the backstab thing (it is from Smirk & Dagger Games)
Flatline - Rolling dice and working together to place those dice to treat patients in a sickbay

While not healing people, I particularly like Organ Attack! for its funny and accurate content in a light game. A little heavier and working with an anti-pandemic feel, Plague, Inc has also become a family favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wilson
United States
Maple Grove
MN
flag msg tools
mbmb
I missed the obvious question. Have you played Pandemic: The Cure? Travel and trading are still there, but they are totally different in this quicker to play dice implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Flatline is a "successor" of sorts to Fuse! It looks to be a patient treating game that has elements of fuse in it.

I've never played either, but I immediately thought of it when I read your post! I think I saw it on a Rahdo geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tabletop Pathologic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.