Paul Johnson
msg tools
The title says it all. Make an Attack 1, with advantage (or disadvantage) and flip a +2 and a 2x. The 2x is the "better" card in the deck, but in this circumstance the +2 will actually cause the attack to do more damage.

Basically, the question is whether advantage and disadvantage are context sensitive or context blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember where, but yes, Isaac mentioned somewhere that a +2 would be "better" in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer the +2 card over the x2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was ruled that Advantage/Disadvantage looks at what is a better/worse outcome, not at which is the better/worse card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this work out with the standard helmet that makes 2x -> 0s (say there is a x2 and a +1)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
I don't remember where, but yes, Isaac mentioned somewhere that a +2 would be "better" in that case.

Mishenka wrote:
It was ruled that Advantage/Disadvantage looks at what is a better/worse outcome, not at which is the better/worse card.

I would love to find a link to put in this thread for posterity. I haven't found it in search. All I saw was the FAQ which talks about different modifier cards:

"If I have advantage or disadvantage, how do I determine whether one attack modifier card is better or worse in the case of effects beyond the typical +/- modifiers? How do I know when something is ambiguous?
All added effects (negative conditions, elements, healing, etc.) have a positive but undefined value. Thus, these would be the rulings in the following cases:
+1 vs +2: +2 is better
+1 Stun vs +1: +1 Stun is better
+0 Stun vs +2: Ambiguous
+1 Stun vs +1 Fire: Ambiguous
+0 Muddle vs +2 Stun: Ambiguous"

Also, the rules mention that in any case with ambiguity, the card that was drawn first must be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The +2 is better. Context is taken into account (including the iron helmet).

EDIT: Your attack value is taken into account in order to give the x2 a numerical value, but no other context is taken into account. This is a special case (normally context is not taken into account to determine the value of attack modifiers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.