Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Haven't played this one yet, but in reading the rules I was surprised to see that one had to select a movement card in advance, not for this turn (as in X-Wing, or indeed in Wooden Ships and Iron Men), but for the next turn.

May I please ask, does this work well? I am primarily thinking of playing one-on-one or two-on-two frigate/sloop duels with SoG, so wonder how the relative lack of responsiveness to one's opponent's moves would play out.

Would anyone recommend, for example, simply going the X-Wing/WSIM road and secretly plotting a move for this turn?

Any observations would be most gratefully received!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it to work really well - you have to plan ahead. It makes the game feel different from modern vehicle-based games and that you have, well, less than modern command and control systems in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works well.

On the other hand, the basic rules have you plan your current turn's movement. It's only the standard and advanced rules that have you plan the next turn.

If you don't like how it plays out, you can perfectly house-rule it and play with standard or advanced rules while doing the planning of the basic rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
It works just fine...even with more than one ship under your command. These things don't turn on a dime so it also makes it more realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks all for the observations. While I agree that these ships didn't turn on a dime, my understanding of the way frigate duels played out is that getting into position to rake the enemy ship seems to have been a key objective, and that many such duels ended when one ship intentionally fouled the other, producing an intentional boarding action. I can't yet envisage quite how one intentionally achieves these goals when one can only react to what the enemy ship is currently doing at one whole turn's delay, by which time that ship is likely doing something different.

But I will defer to your expertise, gentlemen, and have a go!

Many thanks, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing "borrowed" from Wings of War/Glory, that in introductory WW2 rules (and in some old WW1 homebrew introductory rules for kids) has the planning of one single maneuvre for the same turn. You will also notice that the maneuvres (straights, 45° turns, 90° turns, even the out-of-setting Immelmann maneuvre, of variable lenghts) are exactly the same of WW2 Wings og War/Glory. Pretty straightforward, but in my experience you always know quite well where you should move in a X-Wing dogfight.
Delayed planning in WW2/Sails of Glory and 3-cards-in-advance planning in WW1 are meant to make planning and outguessing quite more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

hismhs wrote:
May I please ask, does this work well?

Well, my gameplay hasn't gotten to the point where this works well for me! But it's absolutely thematic!

The "plan for the next turn" mechanic really does a good job of simulating momentum, which isn't quite as necessary in the Wings of Glory or X-Wing. (I'm not saying that a flying airplane doesn't have momentum, but the effects of momentum are miniscule when controlling an airplane vs controlling a sailing ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. True also that in the (X-)Wings of War/Glory family the time scale is different - one or two seconds per card. So the advanced planning take into account the time for the pilot to realize what's happening with the other planes zooming around him and to react. If you apply optional rules for rookies and woulded pilots, besides, who must plan further in advance, reaction time may change for penalized pilots to add further realism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.