Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 7 players, and Jean had gone home early, so we brought out Quartermaster General. Earlier in the day, the Allies had won twice, with Germany being quite ineffective. I wasn’t there for the games. In this game, Greg was Germany, I was UK, and hoped to duplicate the French sitting in Western Germany for a while, Don was Japan, Gary was Russia, Trevor was Italy and Ken was the US.

Greg land battled the French out of Western Europe, while I simply use an event card to build a French force back. I didn’t discard a card so I scored only 3 pts as I saw Greg only scored 1 pt, so I thought one point wouldn’t matter. Don builds into the Sea of Japan, Gary builds in Ukraine, Trevor builds into Germany, while Ken builds in the western US.

Greg does another land battle into Western Europe, while I respond with another French force into Western Europe. Greg’s feeling a bit frustrated. Trevor builds a fleet above Germany, so now I have to be careful as I have not built a fleet out of the UK yet. Ken builds a fleet into the Pacific to threaten the Japanese.

Greg regroups and plays down a Bias for Action and Blitzkreig. Gary has built into the Balkans and is going to be run over by the Germans if we can’t do anything quick. I have a status card that lets me build into India as a supply square, so I do that, and await developments. But Don had quickly got rid of China and adjacent to me in India.

By around turn 7 or 8, the Axis are 2 pts away from the 30 pt automatic win. A couple of times, I had not thrown away a card to score 3 pts rather than 4 and now I am regretting it. But I had watched Germany not take the extra 1 pt either, and I was expecting a longer game.

Sure enough, with both status cards Greg runs through Russia and takes Moscow. Trevor plays a booster card that allows Germany to build in the middle east, and soon India falls to Germany as well. I have a status card that lets the French build in Africa as a supply center, but Italy knocks that out as well. Before, I try one final French army in Western Europe, but that gets knocked out by Blitzkreig. I knew it would be a victim of Blitzkreig, but I figured Greg spent a lot of land battles already, could he have anymore?

Trevor has used up all his build army cards, and his supply to the army in Scandanvia and fleet in the Baltic Sea are lost.

Now it is the Axis running the table. By 13, Ken is able to attack Germany and use amphibious landing to get into Germany temporarily. But the Axis are ahead by 31 pts, and the game is over!

Greg is Germany, I am UK, Don is Japan, Gary is Russia, Trevor is Italy and Ken is the US. The US are into Germany, but the Allies lose the game as Germany scores 9 pts per round for a few rounds, Japan scores around 7, while Russia is scoring 0.

The Allies could keep attacking into Germany, but the Italians and Germans can keep attacking in, but it would have stopped the Axis expansion. It was a tight game.

It took the Americans just a bit too long to enter the Eastern theatre. Perhaps that extra one fleet build in the East Pacific hurt. Russia got too close to Germany – but in Russia’s defence no one expected Greg to get Bias for Action and Blitzkreig down, while being pressured in Western Europe by the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milind Pania
India
flag msg tools
mb
Could you perhaps give me an overview of Axis wins as opposed to Allies wins when playing with AH and AM? I just bought the Air Marshall expansion last week and feel that with it added in the game, a lot depends on Germany once again (Italy becoming relatively weaker, the UK able to mess up German Status / Bolster turns and the USSR having even better recovery chances.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the exact numbers, but for Alternate Histories (with the Air Marshall expansion), the win ratio between Axis and Allies is approximately 50% out of around 10 games played.

With the Air Marshall expansion alone, the Allies usually win around 3 out of every 4 games. I'm guessing there have been approximately 15 plays with Air Marshall alone for our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.