Pandemic Iberia» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy, or Pandemic Iberia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dandylion Thirteen
msg tools
Hi Everyone!

I've never played any Pandemic game.
Would it make sense to play Pandemic Iberia first, then Pandemic Legacy (and skip the original Pandemic?)
Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think so, absolutely. Iberia is not much harder to learn/teach compared to the original, but it's much prettier and has quite a bit more content right out of the box. I haven't played Legacy, but I guess Iberia would be a good introduction to the Pandemic formula before jumping into it.

If you end up being a huge fan, you can still buy the original and its expansions any time.

I personally sold my copy of the original and kept Iberia to have an (arguably) better version of Pandemic without any expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Peter. Iberia is fantastic, and will likely be played by my family more than the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it's ALSO Pandemic Legacy then you are fine.

If you could only pick one PL should be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandylion Thirteen
msg tools
Thanks so much everyone, great suggestions! I'll probably take the Iberia > Legacy route

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I own Pandemic Iberia, Pandemic: The Cure & Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu but not Pandemic (prime).

Start with whichever one you think you'd like, they're all great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I've played Iberia more than Pandemic already ^^.

Pandemics great, but it's a little too bland for me without expansions, and there's a certain fatigue (and price-tag) associated with figuring out which bits and pieces to use ^^.

All the series are fantastic though (Well, not played RoC but I'm sure its' solid ^^).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. A lot of cult of the new answers here. whistle

I would caution the original poster and remind them that they asked this in the Iberia threads.

Pandemic is still the best game of the 3. Get it with On the Brink.

It is re-playable (legacy...not re-playable) and has lots of expansion support (Iberia will likely get no additional expansions).

I expect retorts like (a) but I love legacy - re-playability doesn't matter and (2) Iberia is the new hotness so it must be the best and it has the two challenges in the box.

Pandemic is a great game system but the base game plus its variety of expansions has yet to be surpassed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Haha. A lot of cult of the new answers here. whistle

I would caution the original poster and remind them that they asked this in the Iberia threads.

Pandemic is still the best game of the 3. Get it with On the Brink.

It is re-playable (legacy...not re-playable) and has lots of expansion support (Iberia will likely get no additional expansions).

I expect retorts like (a) but I love legacy - re-playability doesn't matter and (2) Iberia is the new hotness so it must be the best and it has the two challenges in the box.

Pandemic is a great game system but the base game plus its variety of expansions has yet to be surpassed.

I own and enjoy both Pandemic + On the Brink, as well as Pandemic: Iberia. Currently, I've rated both an 8.5 on the BGG rating scale. They're both equally excellent, and worth owning.

I recommend Iberia not because I'm suffering from cult of the new - at least I hope I'm not. I just think the Artwork is superb, the theme is lovely, and with there being only one print run, now is as good a time as any to pick up a copy. Pandemic + OTB will be reprinted again and again. While Iberia is readily in stock, it won't always be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say go for Pandemic Iberia aswell.
It looks like a solid choice in most scenarios.

You love the game
In this case you will want to own every pandemic variant there is. With this box you got a great start.

you just like it
Great, you probably have that one pandemic you want in your closet. It contains some more content than base pandemic so you win in that aswell.
Maybe one day you still wanne give Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 a go?

you find it "meuh"
This will be easier to trade away then a base pandemic box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to suggest Iberia as well. I don't like base pandemic very much but Iberia was a breath of fresh air. I've played it twice now and enjoyed it both times. My group thinks it's a better, more solid game then base Pandemic.

I've not played base with any of the expansions (though I did buy on the brink) so I can't say how base is with those, but if your only going to get one non-legacy version I think Iberia should be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandylion Thirteen
msg tools
OP Here! I picked up Iberia and my friends and I love it!! It was absolutely the best first choice
Thanks so much for all your helpful replies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d13d13 wrote:
OP Here! I picked up Iberia and my friends and I love it!! It was absolutely the best first choice
Thanks so much for all your helpful replies!!

Then you know where this is leading

Spukky wrote:

You love the game
In this case you will want to own every pandemic variant there is. With this box you got a great start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmytro Lisnichenko
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
How much do you need the language (reading) in this game? I have some game-player-friends who doesn't speak english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mazaj wrote:
How much do you need the language (reading) in this game? I have some game-player-friends who doesn't speak english.

Text includes:
- Names of Cities on Board
- Names of Cities on Player Cards and Infection Cards
- The Text on the Event Cards
- The Text on the Role Cards
- The Text on the Virus Cards (if used for one of the variants)
- And of course, the Rule Book

If somebody who speaks / reads English is at the table, it shouldn't be a problem. But if everybody at the table speaks a different language, I'd choose something with less text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I was in the same position and went with Iberia for artwork, theming, included variants, and the fact that the original may get a 10th-anniversary edition next year.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1849928/best-version-pandem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.