13 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy it? Why the hype? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I usually don't like to buy or play heavy Euros unless the play is intuitive, not dry, balanced and fun. I have a chance to buy a copy. I heard this game is sold out or any copes are snapped up?

Why all the hype? Should I buy this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

I think watching some online reviews will give you a better idea if it's for you; never by something just because there is 'hype' or you have the opportunity (unless you can get it for some crazy low price and you want it for 'trade bait').

I *am* someone who likes a good-old fashion heavy, dry euro so that wouldn't put me off of it (and am considering buying this regardless). As for the 'hype'- it got a very solid review in Speilbox (put it on the radar for me), people who do like Euros like this might also be gravitating towards it because it's a less common theme and, at risk of being controversial, its *not* having minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I usually don't like to buy or play heavy Euros unless the play is intuitive, not dry, balanced and fun. I have a chance to buy a copy. I heard this game is sold out or any copes are snapped up?

It's a great game, but I would definitely suggest watching a play through before buying.

It's currently out of stock but there is a reprint coming early April, so don't overpay for the game because it's coming back in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

It's a great game but without knowing you and your preferences, I can't say that you should buy it. I don't consider it heavy, it's more medium weight. I suggest you watch a play through or two to see if it's something you'd be interested in:

Rahdo's run through:

Heavy Cardboard rules and play through:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The application of the theme is a bit dry, but the mechanics are not dry, if that makes any sense. I don't like dry euros either, but this combination of deck-building, point-to-point rondel movement, make your own rondel, and variable building availability is very fun to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love this game! Always a great pleasure to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't buy it because of the hype, but because it's a good game.

Just yesterday I won a 4p game when I thought I'd be just fighting for 2nd place since another player did so well. It was interesting that between pretty decent players, we had no clue who'd be the winner until the numbers were added up. I guess that some day I'll meet players who keep track of everybody's cards and at any point can tell you exactly which cards I might have in my hand or draw and how many points everybody would get so far; for now I'm pretty happy that I haven't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

It's a great game, but I would definitely suggest watching a play through before buying.

It's currently out of stock but there is a reprint coming early April, so don't overpay for the game because it's coming back in a few weeks.

I am currently weighing on whether to purchase a copy directly from Stronghold Games as it is supposedly available from their own store but with the information you just provided, I am thinking about waiting it out till it get released to the stores. So, do you have a source to verify that information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
The length of the game is a concern for me too. I don't know if I can find enough people to play it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely only medium, but it's a great game!

Then again, I like heavy dry euros...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I don't like heavy dry Euros like Caylus etc. So I think I will not buy it. My best friend said it was hyped mainly the heavy gaming community,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I don't like heavy dry Euros like Caylus etc. So I think I will not buy it. My best friend said it was hyped mainly the heavy gaming community,

Thanks, maybe that will give me a better chance of getting a copy when it comes back in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.