4 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the tile placement restrictions STOP the expansion of the map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Was playing my first competitive Full Conquest game last night, and a situation came up:

It was a three-player game using a Wedge Map. All the tiles in the Tile Stack were used up. I was on the left side of the wedge, and the other two players were on the right side. One of the other two players wanted to reveal a tile behind the Core Tiles, not on the coast: since the Tile Stack was empty, this would have had to be one of the remaining Countryside tiles in the box. However, there was no way for him to reveal the tile so that it would be touching three other tiles per the rules.

Meanwhile, on my end, there was a place on the left coast where I could have revealed a new Countryside tile so that it touched three tiles. However, that would have been the LAST tile that could be revealed, and at this point in the game it gave me an advantage because I was far closer to it than the other two players were.

When I look at the Tile Placement rules, there is a little ambiguity in the language: it seems like the restriction of placing next to three other tiles MIGHT only apply when the Countryside tiles in the box have all been placed and there are only Core tiles left in the box.

So my questions are:
- Does the restriction to place next to three other tiles apply to placing COUNTRYSIDE tiles taken from the box as well?
- If the answer is yes, then might that not create situations where one player has an advantage, such as in my game last night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Once all the tiles (countryside and core) for the scenario have been used up, you can place extra countryside tiles from the box if they touch 3 other tiles - I think you have interpreted this rule correctly. These extra tiles are not supposed to be very significant, since at this point in the game you should be going for the big fish (cities, draconum). They do allow you to fill in gaps if you need to get across the map, or maybe give you something to do for the last turn after you've conquered a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.

In terms of balance, I do think this gives the map a predictable shape: and so the other players SHOULD have known that they were leaving open an unrevealed tile for me to explore all to my own.

I did allow that player to reveal the tile at the time, which he then used to good effect. He ended up getting the highest score, while the third player and I took a bunch of wounds getting the cities, ha.

It does make me wonder though, how the box can run out of Countryside tiles so as to make it necessary to move on to non-city Core tiles? I suppose the group would need to deliberately avoid the coasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
ronaldsf wrote:
It does make me wonder though, how the box can run out of Countryside tiles so as to make it necessary to move on to non-city Core tiles? I suppose the group would need to deliberately avoid the coasts.

I doubt anyone has used that many extra tiles! I think I've only seen up to 1 extra countryside tile used in any of my games (2 player mostly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.