Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Smith
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written feature three partial scenarios: Battle of Britain, Sealion, and a Macksey-inspired what-if on a July invasion option. Other games exist on two of these individual sub-campaigns (albeit few options on Sealion other than BSA, and no other game gives either the Royal Navy or RAF Bomber Command its just due in the BoB). Therefore I presume most purchasers bought BSA for the same reason I did: somebody finally linked the BoB to Sealion while including the Royal Navy...

...Not! Turns out the game lacks a campaign scenario. Looking over the very different OB in the September 1940 Sealion scenario from that in the August 1940 BoB scenario, I have no idea when/where to fold these assets in as reinforcements (order of arrival) while the BoB sub-campaign proceeds through August into September and the German player must plan his Sealion options based on unfolding developments in the air-naval BoB phase.

Has anyone ever taken on the challenge of integrating the BoB and Sealion scenarios into a full campaign game? (With or without a start as early as July?) I checked Mr. W's 'Line of Departure' website (http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/online_features/index.html) and found many interesting articles but no BoB-Sealion Campaign scenario for BSA.

Thanks, Tim Smith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webber
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have included a campaign in my advanced rules (see the files section). However there is not really a need for a campaign for the normal scenarios since each has different starting conditions depending on the historical situation at that time, not on your campaign results. Also each scenario has its own reinforcement and arrivals/departures chart, although really only one is needed. Say you start in the July then you use all the reinforcements and arrivals stipulated in the July scenario (they are specified for months afterwards) and these presumably take into account the production available in those months and reinforcements/retirements of troops/ships/aircraft. It would be silly to start with a July scenario and then decide oh, it's August, we should now be using a BoB scenario, as you are playing the game, not the real life Luftwaffe, so the Luftwaffe doesn't have to wait until August to start a BoB (nor would it if the invasion was under way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.