Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused on the resolution of tanks firing on tanks. 20.6 states that the attack number is determined by subtracting the targets armor value from the attackers FP which results in a negative number, which confuses me on how they could ever be destroyed, even with modifiers. I also found tanks close to useless against infantry which are in any terrain/ buildings/ foxholes. Please help me understand the tank system and their usefulness before abandoning the system, thanks. I can't find a good example in the rules to help me make sense out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
matthiske wrote:
I am a bit confused on the resolution of tanks firing on tanks. 20.6 states that the attack number is determined by subtracting the targets armor value from the attackers FP which results in a negative number, which confuses me on how they could ever be destroyed, even with modifiers.

AFAIK, there is no concept of "1 = automatic hit" for tank vs tank (unlike infantry attacks), so indeed a negative number means no chance of success. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!)

I assume that means that the attacker's firepower is simple physically too weak against the defender's strong armor.

But note that often the defender's side/rear armor is sufficiently weaker, so that the same attacker does have a chance in a non-frontal attack.

And of course infantry have 2 different ways of attacking tanks, so tanks are not necessarily invulnerable even if your own tanks are weak against an enemy's well-armored tanks.

Quote:
I also found tanks close to useless against infantry which are in any terrain/ buildings/ foxholes.

That depends on the specific tank. Some have excellent strong anti-infantry weaponry (e.g. strength 10 or 11 vs infantry!), and some don't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give examples:
A German PZIIF firing against a Russian T34M40 cannot succeed against the front as the fire power of 4 is too small compared to the armour of 7. Firing a the side without modifiers still isn't enough (4 -4 = 0) but firing from adjacent or the rear (+1 modifier each) gives a small chance of success.

The T34M40 firing on the PZIIF however has great chances of success; Fire power 8 vs armour 2 (or 1 on the side)

The PZIIf has 7 FP vs infantry, putting it roughly on par with a weapons team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for some examples to clarify as I will give tanks another try. My friend and I abandoned our game last night as the tank system wasn't making any sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good video from Harsh Rules about tanks in this series. Explains it well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/115707/band-brothers-ghost-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Germans found out to their dismay that their early war tanks were powerless against the T34.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.