Martin Aquino
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just into our second mission and I would like to ask you guys to check if I as the imperial player made any mistakes because I felt I was so cheap and unfair against my players.

Special setup in Generous Donations says Increase threat by twice the threat level ( second mission 2 threat level) so I would get four starting threat...
Is this correct? 4 threat?

I then used the four threat to summon and deploy hired guns to the green deployment point near the bottom door. Hired guns were in my open group

Now I then used the hired guns to shoot down the door because it said that the door was locked and had Health 5, defence 1.

when the door was broken, I immediately spawned the royal guard group and the elite e-web engineer due to the text that said The first time a door opens, deploy the reserved e-web engineer and royal guard group.

So my players had to face the royal guards, the trandoshans, 2 e-webs and the hired guns. They never got to set foot into the central map area because they were overwhelmed with stuns, fatigues and e-web fire.

Destroying the door to force spawn the royal guards and elite eweb is legal right? I can't find any text that says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Completely legal exploit of the rules. This mission is extremely tough at threat level 2 regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Doesn't the mission briefing say "A rebel figure can attack a door"? If so, this would rule out imperial figures attacking the doors. zombie

...if not, it's totally legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Doesn't the mission briefing say "A rebel figure can attack a door"?

No, Any figure can attack the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Aquino
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks! Doing this gave an extremely unfair advantage to an already tough game for the rebels. cry

Plus the royal guards benefitted from having the weak hired guns next to them as they also became FOCUSED when the hired guns died

plus parting shot. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sentrei wrote:
thanks! Doing this gave an extremely unfair advantage to an already tough game for the rebels. cry

Plus the royal guards benefitted from having the weak hired guns next to them as they also became FOCUSED when the hired guns died

plus parting shot. shake

Welcome to Imperial Assault. I hope the Rebel-players enjoyed that game.

I found out that in IA you have to play intentionally suboptimal as the IP (especially if you use the Military Might or Subversive Tactics deck as they are OP), if you don't want the Rebels to lose every mission by a landslide. (Oh and always give them the rewards as if they won the mission)

Better start sooner than later, so your Rebel-players don't quit after half the campaign (because they had no chance winning even one mission).

This is not the fairly well balanced Descent 2ed, as the IP, plan accordingly - and don't panic, the final is an auto-win for the IP anyway.

Here are links to a winrate "database". Try to avoid the unbalanced missions as much as possible, it will greatly enhance the fun with the game.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726173/links-how-balanced-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

I found out that in IA you have to play intentionally suboptimal as the IP (especially if you use the Military Might or Subversive Tactics deck as they are OP), if you don't want the Rebels to lose every mission by a landslide. (Oh and always give them the rewards as if they won the mission)

This may be your experience with your particular group...but trust me when I tell you that a good, experienced group of rebel players playing four heroes is VERY difficult for the Empire to beat. If it seems like your rebels are becoming discouraged, obviously give them some advantages to prevent that...but be prepared to eliminate those advantages as they become better rebel players.

The original campaign can be very tough for less experienced rebels. In my opinion, all other campaigns are not properly balanced and very difficult for the IP to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

This may be your experience with your particular group...but trust me when I tell you that a good, experienced group of rebel players playing four heroes is VERY difficult for the Empire to beat. If it seems like your rebels are becoming discouraged, obviously give them some advantages to prevent that...but be prepared to eliminate those advantages as they become better rebel players.

The original campaign can be very tough for less experienced rebels. In my opinion, all other campaigns are not properly balanced and very difficult for the IP to win.

By the wording of his post, I had the impression this is his first campaign. Also he has a Descent 2ed fan-badge.
If everyone starts from scratch the IP has a way easier learning curve, because he knows all the secret information whereas the Rebels have no clue what to expect (especially from the end of round events) and tend to missinterpret the strength of the IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lol...yeah. The game is tough for rebels before they learn what tends trigger events and drop threat on the board, and to avoid doing so when they don't have actions left to respond. Once they learn to trigger events with their first action of a new round whenever possible, the IP is in trouble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Piec
Poland
flag msg tools
DA_Maz wrote:

Better start sooner than later, so your Rebel-players don't quit after half the campaign (because they had no chance winning even one mission).

That's the problem in my group
Especially rewards for optional missions which are mostly useless.
No motivation for play and we switched to Shadows of Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wheeler
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:

Welcome to Imperial Assault. I hope the Rebel-players enjoyed that game.

I'm really curious why you say this...playing as Imperials, I gave up the campaign after mission 5. Not only had the rebels won every mission, but most missions weren't especially close. There are two rebel players and I found that it was almost impossible to stop them from beelining to the objective, finishing it, and then getting out. They were just able to tank damage for a couple of rounds, and even if I wounded one, they'd finish the mission before I wounded the other.

There were just two many situations where I'd activate a squad, one of the rebels would interrupt, kill a trooper with quick shot, and then kill the other two on her next activation. It would then take me two rounds to get that squad back in action and meanwhile the rebels are running roughshod over me.

It really makes me wonder if we were playing wrong somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.