Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

Today I played against Cronus the first time. With Pompeii I won after one game with Hadrian I wasn't able to succeed after 4 games!
Then I found out that I did something wrong when I played with Geta...

I have some Questions:

- The Basic Atk Dice are allways available (2xblack, 2xyellow) also if I have for example only one black and one yellow as titan dice released, right? The titan dice are independet from the atk dice?

- What means Cronus moves directly to the champion? At which hex do I position him? I'm a little bit confused why there stand "if possible" in brackets... Does this means, that if the champion is surrounded by units and there is no free space, Cronus doesn't move this turn?

- The archers of Cronus only attack if I throw at least one blue die? But if I roll two blue dice, the archers only attack once, right?

- When the archer is attacking, the closest unit always wins? Also if, for example, the champion is three hex away an a tactican is only to hexes away, he is going to attack the tactican, right? And another example: if there is a tactican and attacker with full health two hexes away he would attack the tactican, because he is weakest but if the attacker would have a shard beneath, he would attack the attacker, right?

- If Cronus replaces one of my archers with one of his archers, mine is out of play?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angie666 wrote:
Hey everyone!

Today I played against Cronus the first time. With Pompeii I won after one game with Hadrian I wasn't able to succeed after 4 games!
Then I found out that I did something wrong when I played with Geta...

I have some Questions:

- The Basic Atk Dice are allways available (2xblack, 2xyellow) also if I have for example only one black and one yellow as titan dice released, right? The titan dice are independet from the atk dice?

- What means Cronus moves directly to the champion? At which hex do I position him? I'm a little bit confused why there stand "if possible" in brackets... Does this means, that if the champion is surrounded by units and there is no free space, Cronus doesn't move this turn?

- The archers of Cronus only attack if I throw at least one blue die? But if I roll two blue dice, the archers only attack once, right?

- When the archer is attacking, the closest unit always wins? Also if, for example, the champion is three hex away an a tactican is only to hexes away, he is going to attack the tactican, right? And another example: if there is a tactican and attacker with full health two hexes away he would attack the tactican, because he is weakest but if the attacker would have a shard beneath, he would attack the attacker, right?

- If Cronus replaces one of my archers with one of his archers, mine is out of play?

Thanks so much for your help!

Angelika - Adam will get to your questions soon! Sorry it's a crazy week over here, we see it though and will answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply! Don't worry, I know that you are doing such a great job with Too Many Bones! I'm also waiting for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I got my shipping notification for TMB. I'm very happy and excited! Only some days left till I can play this great game!

Anyway, on the weekend I have time to play a Hoplo Session!! devil

Is there any possiblity that Adam has a few minutes left to answer my questions till weekend? modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelika, thank you SO much for granting me this extra time! Here goes...

1. All Basic Atk Dice need to be rolled. They are independent from Cronus' Titan Dice unlocks. You will want to either 'temporarily remember which dice were borrowed to complete the Basic Atk, or borrow some dice from another Hoplo game.

2. So long as there is a path available from Cronus to the targeted Champion, Cronus will be placed onto any adjacent hex to that Champion, player's choice on which hex (any time there seem to be options, rule of thumb is player's choice).

3. Read second paragraph under Pillar Setup. Foothold Archers always attack during Cronus' Attack Action. They WILL roll their dice. Each of these only attack once per turn. There is no triggering here.

4. Read bottom section of Titan Details. If there is a target in range holding a shard, it will target the closest > weakest unit of yours holding a (at least 1) shard. If no shard holders are in range, it will simply attack the closest > weakest unit - You got it in your examples... but do a shard holder check first.

5. You got it. It won't happen often unless you play into Cronus' hand or have bad luck, but if Activate Archer triggers and there are no spots to activate, Cronus will DISCARD your Foothold Archer and set his up again (even from defeated pile). *You may be interested in using your chips as Footholds rather than archers if this annoys you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ADAM, thank you so much

Perfect service as usual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now I can ask the question number 3 a little bit clearer:

If, lets say, the init dice-setup of Cronus are 2xblack, 2xgreen.
He will not perform an normal attack action, because at this time are no blue "unlocked" dice available.

My question is now: Are the activated archers (through attacking the pillar) do their attack action, though Cronus has no "Attack Phase"?

EDIT: I would say: NO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it. Archers will assist Cronus only if Cronus has an Attack Action. There needs to be at least 1 successfully rolled Blue Titan Die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Adam, thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if Cronus doesn't attack his archers neither???. Why?!. This way is going to be easy to defeating him.

Another question. In Titan's movement rules, only says he movesmoves towards Champion. If Champion is defeated I move Cronus towards the closest/weakest unit because it seems the logic action. Is it ok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dewdundency wrote:
You got it. Archers will assist Cronus only if Cronus has an Attack Action. There needs to be at least 1 successfully rolled Blue Titan Die.

As Adam mentioned above, yes, the archers only attack if Cronus also attacks!

And if the champion is defeated you immediately loose the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ops,ok. I didn't know I lost if my Champion was defeated. That changes things... Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello

I'm posting here to tell you that I have a problem with the titan Cronos.

Before explaining it, I feel it is necessary to quote Angie's question and Adam's answer:

Angie666 wrote:
My question is now: Are the activated archers (through attacking the pillar) do their attack action, though Cronus has no "Attack Phase"?

EDIT: I would say: NO!

Adam Carlson wrote:

That means it's possible that no opponent units attack during the whole game as long as you don't draw a blue die for Cronus. Isn't it extremely easy to defeat him in that case? All you have to do is destroying one pillar and hoping you don't draw a blue die back. Afterwards, you can just let your unit holding the shard beat Cronus up until he dies knowing neither him nor one of his archer will be able to riposte (the worst he can do is just tossing your unit but that's it).

I tried to find a rule that mentioned that the player has to hold the four shards (that would force the player to destroy the pillars, which would make him draw additional dice for the titan) to defeat Cronus but I couldn't. It would be naturally harder to succeed it if Cronus' archers shooted you from the pillar every turn (even though Cronus had no blue die) but they can't apparently.

I really hope I missed a rule because I was (and I'm still) looking forward to facing this titan in an epic fight.

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nils, I think you are right with what you wrote! But you have to be very lucky not drawing a blue die! And you have to destroy at least one pedestal to attack Cronus (because of the Shard). Therefore the chance of drawing a blue die is getting higher!

But if you want to be sure to have an epic battle, I would say, just put a die of every color in the bag when you setup the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello Angelika,

Thank you for answering me.

Angie666 wrote:
But you have to be very lucky not drawing a blue die! And you have to destroy at least one pedestal to attack Cronus (because of the Shard). Therefore the chance of drawing a blue die is getting higher!

Not that much. There are 9 dice, including 2 blue ones. You start the game drawing 4 dice: there'is already a high probability of drawing no blue die. And if you don't draw a blue die either after destroying the first pillar, you already know you'll win the game. I'm not going to write down the probability of not drawing any blue die because I haven't done maths for years laugh but we easily see that we can manage very well.

Quote:
But if you want to be sure to have an epic battle, I would say, just put a die of every color in the bag when you setup the game

I think it's a good idea. I'm actually seeing several ways to be sure not to face this situation:

1. Starting with one die of each color (as you suggest)
2. Starting with one blue die and three random dice (a little alternative)
3. Letting Cronus' archers attack your units every turn even if their master doesn't get any attack phase.
4. Making the player destroy all the pillars (but not necessary hold all the shards) to be able to defeat Cronus.
5. Playing all the above variants (for hardcore gamers devil )

I'll give a try to this variants soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yes, my maths is very bad...

I am very curious to hear about your hardcore-hoplo-sessions devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I got two fights against Cronus this afternoon, playing as a hardcore session. cool So it means that I picked one die of each color at the beggining and let Cronus' archers attack me every turn. And I finally had to destroy all the pillars before striking a death blow to this buddy.

The first game was not that bad: even though my Champion kicked the bucket after getting hit and tossed a thousand time by Cronus, my units managed to make him lose almost half of his health.

Then I started a secound round. And I won! laugh meeple I was lucky to start with some very solid units as the Attacker who destroyed pillars one by one. I never deployed any foothold archers in return because I didn't want Cronus to "convert" them into his.
However, the game wasn't as simple as it looks like: my Champion finished with only one health remaining and was able to flee thanks to a foothold line that stopped Cronus. Then my units blocked and hit him until he was as short as a dwarf. laugh

For the next session I'd like to try variant 2: starting with a blue die and drawing three random ones just to see how differently the game happens.

I'd also like to come up someday with some variants giving the titans a power so huge that they would be almost invincible, just to face a great challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.