Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Healing - Not Terribly Exciting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Lewis
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I should preface this by saying I think this game is a ton of fun. I just enjoy trying to think of ways to change the game to make it "better".

As vital as it might be to survive, I find most of the healing spells to be boring. For the most part they equate to "Lose a Turn" spells. Yes, they are vital to surviving, but you don't get to DO anything on your turn. I think the Forest Spirit's "Heal All" spell is the best example of this. Yes, everyone loves you for healing them, but there is no thought involved. You will always heal, every room.

I'd love to see a healing mechanic that better takes into account the state of the board and/or skill of the player. I think the Wizard's "drain life" spell is a more interesting "heal" spell, but it lacks the ability to give anyone else health.

A natural progression from the drain life spell would be a "transfusion" spell, some method of taking life from an opponent (or yourself) and then giving it to your teammates. I could see this being particularly fun if you did it in sequence, hit an enemy with a disc enemy to steal health and then you must play that disc from where it lie and hit a teammate. Miss the teammate, you don't get the heal, but at least you did the damage.

Alternatively you could store up the health to distribute later (maybe in one large lump?).

A "recycle enemy" spell would also be an interesting idea. Rather than getting gold for an enemy you killed, you could turn them in for the opportunity to heal someone during the battle. Not sure how you'd work out the pricing since you don't want it to be cheaper than the healer and but I think a "money later or health now" decision is an interesting one.

I've been trying to think of how you'd do an area of effect spell or some sort of chain heal (where you'd hit fellow players in sequence to spread the heal) but both of these could be broken if played on the first turn.

Anyway, just thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Healing every room? I must have missed that Forest Spirit, as the fact spells can be used only once per game is THE reason my friends and I LIKE this game but fail to LOVE it - as it is unbalanced as anything
So this critter has an ability to Heal All?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.