1944: Race to the Rhine» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Sequencing supplies... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I'm really enjoying the game, but never seem to get very far by the end--makes me wonder what the time scale or a round is? Anyway, the thing I really want to know is a good strategy for sequencing (handling/transporting) supplies as the allies drive further from their bases? Those German troop chits awaiting near the border are very tough to crack, and getting enough supplies to fight through them seems an impossible task to me--so I need some help! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, arriving at your answer is all part of what makes this such a great game! Unfortunately I don't have much time to share my personal thoughts wrt a good strategy, so I'll leave you with a few nuggets in hopes that someone else will provide a more substantial reply...

0. Ammo and Oil are your most important supplies. Oil is more important in the beginning, though. But you'll also need at least one food on each Corps' card for the first half of the game. So for the first part of the game, ensure every corps has one food, 3 oil, and 2 ammo. Then as the game goes on, ammo will become more important than oil, overall. But you'll still need oil!

What I mean, is that by mid game, you should be establishing your column (see below) (or "line of communication" as its called), which means you'll be moving - and thusly need to feed - only one or two of your corps. Then by late game, you should be moving only your lone, advancing corps, which means the other two (or 3) corps don't need oil or food. But your advancing corps still needs all three supplies (at least one food).

1. Advance as a column... NEVER advance as a broad front! You MUST keep your locations protected against counter-attack. Establish a single line of communication (Google it). When I do this, it frustrates my opponents! (Until they do it, too... then it frustrates me)!

2. Of course if you're Patton, and to a lessor extent, Monty, use those limited supply bases to your advantage! But you need to keep them protected from counter-attack as well. My favorite General to play is actually Bradley, and I love to mess with Patton's limited supply bases by waiting for him to leave one or two open so I can do a counter-attack and cut them off.

3. Once you have a column of locations established (Line of Communication), focus on advancing only the lead corps. So in effect, your other 2 (or 3) Corps' purpose is ONLY to protect your supply lines, so that you can use your line to move your supplies.

4. Move supplies as often and as early as you can, to store them at advanced locations! And keep those locations protected from counter-attack!

5. Use your Air Support action as often as you can! If played correctly, this will give you a free Ammo cube for combat. (One of the reasons I like Bradley is he gets a free Air Support action).

6. When you get close to the Rhine (or especially when crossing it), use those Airborne markers. Each is worth an Ammo cube for that last fight. Every game I've won, has been so only by using those Airborne units!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
I'm really enjoying the game, but never seem to get very far by the end--makes me wonder what the time scale or a round is? Anyway, the thing I really want to know is a good strategy for sequencing (handling/transporting) supplies as the allies drive further from their bases? Those German troop chits awaiting near the border are very tough to crack, and getting enough supplies to fight through them seems an impossible task to me--so I need some help! Thanks

Hi Bradley,
A couple of years ago I had some BGG post conversations with Jon (Jon_1066)a BGG user from the UK. He gave me some ideas that had never occurred to me. Following is a partial turn-by-turn strategy using Montgomery that helped me to win the game by turn 11. It is basically Jon's ideas put into a turn-by-turn sequence by me. I have only included the early turns to you give you an idea of the supply sequencing that fueled Montgomery's drive to Rhine.

Monty Strategy for Race to the Rhine
Turn 1
ACTION 1: II CANADIAN CORPS advances to Rouen, and then Dieppe (dump its remaining supplies at Dieppe then move back to Rouen to get out of the way of BR I CORPS advance on turn 2)
ACTION 2: Put Supplies at Dieppe

Turn 2
ACTION 1: Put Supplies of 3 fuel at Supply Base
ACTION 2: Use one of the Fuel from base to move BR I CORPS to Yuetot and then to Dieppe where it will max out on the supplies at that dump

Turn 3
ACTION 1: Truck 2 Supplies of fuel from base to thru XII CORPS (stripping that corps of all of its supplies, loading them onto the trucks as they go thru) and then on to the XXX Corps HQ where XXX Corps will load up to capacity.

ACTION 2: Use a fuel from the dump to propel XXX CORPS will full supplies to advance Vernon -- Beauuvois—Amiens

GENERAL SITUATION and PLAN for the rest of the game after turn 3

BR I Corps in Deippe will be the spearhead for a dash to Ostend 6 towns (–two turns--) away. Ostend will take its 3 supplies, PLUS 2 more by using the Monty special ability. I CORPS then will spearhead the advance to the Rhine with XXX CORPS positioned as needed to protect I CORPS flanks against counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.