6 Posts

The Pirate Republic» Forums » General

Subject: Over-zealous delivery date? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else think the delivery date is over-zealous? So many kickstarters I have seen run into delay after delay and since this is the designers first apparent game on KS so it kinda worries me that the expectations on delivery date is gonna be pretty tough.

I haven't done a lot of research on the designer so I could be missing some background information.

Thoughts?

The board and art I really like. The theme is obviously really great
I absolutely love that dice rolling for combat is mostly removed. Love the card driven events. This is a game I think I would really like but am hesitant because of potential pitfalls with first time KS'er...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom butler
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hello Randy:

4 months delivery tends to be a pipe dream but is doable in extreme cases; 6 months is the standard; and, 5 months is somewhere in between reality and fiction. It depends seems to be the answer here. In my view, it is better to focus on an aggressive delivery date as many tasks fill up the time we give them--Parkinson's Law. Hence, this keep my team focused on the task at hand--delivering the best product in a compressed time period. We've already uploaded over 50% of the final files to our manufacturer. The rest hinges on campaign stretch goals and the like. Thanks for your question and interest in the game.

Fair Winds,

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a Pirate Republic centered post!

It seems to me based on years of experience as a backer and some absorbed information about publishing that the four pillars of delays are:

• Number of stretch goals (add roughly 1.5 months per stretch goal);
• Presence of miniatures (add 8 months);
• Amount of artwork for cards and rules and other books (add 3 months per 100 cards??) and
• The amount of pre-campaign prep work (subtract 2 months per previous failed campaign and subtract 1 week per previous other KS campaign).

There is also a variable that is really depends on the amount of time listed with the campaign. Remember that the delivery date is set when the campaign starts so anything that changes will impact the ACTUAL delivery date.

I wait patiently for the game. Again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have faith in Mr. Butler. I know the detailed planning, taking contingencies into account which he has to do for his 'day job'. I suspect he is able to transfer those skills to this project.

Obviously there are factors outside of his control, but I have faith he'll do better than most in meeting his schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trev_Davies wrote:
this is interesting to read for me. As this is my first time backing anything on KS. I thought the delivery date was good in terms of time frame compared to others... I hope this wasn't me being naive. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in reality.

As a "not" first timer, I can say that projects are often a little late (a few early, a few very late and even a few right on time). Games with miniatures seem to suffer the worse (probably a combination of manufacturing and shipping delays and how far along the project is to begin with). I feel pretty good about this one as it seems to have been worked on for a while and doesn't have a lot of complicated Stretch Goals to delay things. Now if you back a PC Game project.....well just add a year or two and you won't be disappointed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.