Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my Kickstarter copy at the insane market price and I'm going to pledge again at the end of this month. I intended to play it when I originally pledged, but the benefit of selling it was too good to pass up. I'm not only going to pick up an improved version of the game to play this Summer, but I was also able to get 5 new games with the profit.

I'm wondering if there's more folks out there in the same boat. Did you flip your copy with the intention of buying it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with Gloomhaven, but I definitely did that with Kingdom Death: Monster.

Very similar situation; game gets tons of hype and good reviews, not many copies available, value suddenly doubles or triples.

I was tempted to do the same thing with my copy of Gloomhaven, but by the time I got mine, the reprint had already been announced and dated. Plus I really wanted to actually play it!

I was going to buy KD:M again during the second Kickstarter, but changed my mind when I realized I didn't really like it that much and I had way too many other games on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david W
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have been playing the crap out of the game since getting it. Also a kick starter backer. I have a hard time taking a different game off the shelf, I can't get enough gloomhaven. I've only played two classes myself, but my wife and gaming friends have used all the original characters to at least level 2, and up to scenario 8 or so.

I will probably back it again for the upgraded stuff and a clean set to go through again down the road. I wouldn't trade my copy for any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Arabella
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing, my gaming group shamed me, but at a 200$ profit at the loss of having to wait is OK for me. Its a slippery slope though. I have a special "Hobby" fund that keeps me on budget with real things in life, and now I am always looking at the economic realities of boardgames that I see at my FLG and kickstarters that I think I can gain on. Its like a very teeny version of stock market or even like a game in-of-itself. I have taken a bath on some things though, such as The Others.

I am also not willing to buy multiple copies and only buy games that I am kinda wanting to play. The BGG Marketplace helps me take more risks on games because I know I can sell the game for at least half of what I paid for it which more than pays for an enjoyable evening, even if we are not going to keep the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I bought mine flipped for $250 (no shipping). The KS will cost $100 (plus shipping?). So I have paid $150 to play 6+ months early. That's $25 a month that should be thought of as split over 4 people. My group is happy to each pay a $6/month "subscription" to Gloomhaven to play it "early". Since we're putting in 10+ hours each weekend it's an absolute no brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $275 total including shipping and have absolutely no regrets. The game is fantastic and like someone else said, I can't think of playing anything else. And at some point, I think I will want to play through again, or at least partially, with different classes. So even more value in terms of gameplay. And then there are the 17 solo scenarios, and hints of expansions. Yikes. I've bought many many games for $50-60 that I played once or twice, felt meh about, and traded or resold at a loss. So this feels like it's well worth it, even at that price.

I don't begrudge you selling your copy that way. Smart, really. If you had the patience to wait for a reprint, then that works well. For me, I travel a lot in the summer, but after a three week trip coming up, I'll have two months pretty free between mid-April and mid-June to play more Gloomhaven. So I wanted to make sure I could hit that window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wishing I had. The game just isn't resonating with our group, so I'm thinking I should offload it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
gavr0che wrote:
I have taken a bath on some things though, such as The Others.

I got my copy of The Others. I wish it was more fun. It's just ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me ill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
This thread makes me ill.

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I sold my Kickstarter copy at the insane market price and I'm going to pledge again at the end of this month. I intended to play it when I originally pledged, but the benefit of selling it was too good to pass up. I'm not only going to pick up an improved version of the game to play this Summer, but I was also able to get 5 new games with the profit.

I'm wondering if there's more folks out there in the same boat. Did you flip your copy with the intention of buying it again?

Not quite sure I'd call the reprint an "improved" version. It's dials and grammar fixes. I actually don't want the dials, the game takes up massive space on a table as is. I ditched the player boards and just use a red and blue D20 when playing.

I have no desire to play anything else during my spare time, wouldn't sell my copy for 5x if I could today. I'd be missing out on the best gaming experience I've had in years. Can't believe you passed on it till 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Not quite sure I'd call the reprint an "improved" version. It's dials and grammar fixes. I actually don't want the dials, the game takes up massive space on a table as is. I ditched the player boards and just use a red and blue D20 when playing.

I have no desire to play anything else during my spare time, wouldn't sell my copy for 5x if I could today. I'd be missing out on the best gaming experience I've had in years. Can't believe you passed on it till 2018.

It's going to ship in August, Isaac is starting the print run during the Kickstarter. I've no doubt that it's an awesome game and I can't wait to play it, but I'm only missing out on 6 months of playing and made $300 over what I pledged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was this close, but I couldn't resist playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The others is great. Don't know why you just find it OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Druckenmiller
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Goalie Extraordinaire
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Did you flip your copy with the intention of buying it again?

Simply not worth it to me, the minuscule amount of profit simply wouldn't be worth the wait for me. I've already put more time in it than any of my other games that I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
amanwing wrote:

I've only played once so far, as the bad guys. It wasn't an unfun game overall, but during the last objective I ended up with a bunch of guys in 2 areas and the heroes just had no chance at that point. But it was sort of their own fault, they had made a mistake earlier on that cost them one of their Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
alphasquid wrote:
amanwing wrote:

I've only played once so far, as the bad guys. It wasn't an unfun game overall, but during the last objective I ended up with a bunch of guys in 2 areas and the heroes just had no chance at that point. But it was sort of their own fault, they had made a mistake earlier on that cost them one of their Heroes.

I feel like The Others is a great game that really requires someone on the hero side to understand some of the strategies. The Sins player has a much easier time winging it than the heroes.

As for pawning Gloomhaven, if I hadn't already started marking things up when I realized what the resale value was, I might have done that. Now, after playing it for a month, I'm glad I didn't, because it really is amazing, and I'm having a blast. It's one of the few games I've played over a dozen times and still really crave playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never think in profit terms with games I buy. However, the rationale you laid out Jason, somehow resonated with me.
I already unpunched the game, now going through my 3rd play and loving it. I played random dungeons so the legacy components are actually pristine.
I don't mind waiting a few extra months on Gloomhaven, as I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy.
So I thought why not giving it a try... Sure enough, game sold for double its price after 30 min posting! wow
Here is a new future backer for the second edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interestingkiwi wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Did you flip your copy with the intention of buying it again?

Simply not worth it to me, the minuscule amount of profit simply wouldn't be worth the wait for me. I've already put more time in it than any of my other games that I own.

Miniscule? Are people selling it for like 200% profit?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I'm one of those "hey, money is money" guys. If you get a lot of money for it, by all means, do it. Hell, had I known the game would be this popular, I probably would have originally kickstarted it (had I known about it), sell it for what it sells now on ebay, and then kickstart it again. With how much you made from the sale (even with the 10% sales tax, shipping and paypal fee) you can basically get this monster of a game for free.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's being in the same boat, but rather just seeing a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I debated selling it when I first got it. I probably would have turned quite a profit since I got my copy for $80 from Miniature Market. It was selling for around $350 or so on eBay when I got my copy. I'm not sure what the going rate is currently. Several gamers expressed interest in playing it, so I kept it instead.

It wasn't enjoyed at all by my group. We played several games and scenarios over the last few weeks, however this weekend we moved on to other games. No one has mentioned any desire for any future plays of Gloomhaven either. So it looks like I'm going to have to play it solo if I want to continue playing the game.

I still don't think I'd sell it, even if I never play it again. I got it for a great price and I'd assume that the reprint will cost more. Kudos to OP for turning a profit though. What is waiting six months or so for the game in the grand scheme of things? Especially when he was able to make a profit and turn that into several new games that he may not of bought otherwise. I'm sure those games will tide him over just fine during his wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
What is waiting six months or so for the game in the grand scheme of things?

What is a couple of hundred dollars in the grand scheme of things?

I kept my copy and have enjoyed it immensely. I would have had a bad taste in my mouth, if I had scalped it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
What is waiting six months or so for the game in the grand scheme of things?

What is a couple of hundred dollars in the grand scheme of things?

I kept my copy and have enjoyed it immensely. I would have had a bad taste in my mouth, if I had scalped it.

In my case, a couple hundred bucks was 5 new games. Why would selling a game leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Honestly, I've yet to find a single person who bought Gloomhaven at current prices who feels they got a bad deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Why would selling a game leave a bad taste in your mouth?

I would feel like I was taking advantage of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
I wander if KS keeps record of former backers of a project. From what I gather factories didn't spill out the amount needed to satisfy 2 wave - what IF Isaac would only allow to KS people who didn't do so in the past Joke mode off ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.