Subject: Incorrect street names & police cruiser components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It arrived yesterday and so after punching everything out and reading the rules, I played my first game! It was only a 2-player game, so not a full experience yet. I found out afterwards that we played a few things wrong, however, I got enough to form an initial opinion. The game has a lot of potential and offered a fun cops narrative experience. I had a few questions about the components though:

1. The board is a fun large size and had nice artwork, but I immediately spotted the error in the naming of the streets. Avenues always run north-south and Streets always run east-west, but on this map this is reversed. I kept finding myself getting mixed up directionally because I always use avenue/street on maps as my north/south & east/west reference points. Are there plans to correct this in a future edition?

2. I saw the police cruiser vehicle images with sirens flashing on the prototype screenshots. They looked great and really worked well with the theme (traveling further on the map b/c of the flashing lights, parked cruiser with flashing lights to resolve accident or make arrests). Additionally, it helps to further distinguish and emphasize the differences from the unmarked car side. The version I received ended up not having the flashing lights on the police cruisers. Is there a reason why the decision ultimately was made to remove them for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
but I immediately spotted the error in the naming of the streets. Avenues always run north-south and Streets always run east-west, but on this map this is reversed.

This depends on the city. For instance in Washington D.C. the numbered streets run north–south (and lettered streets run west-east), but nearby Baltimore's numbered streets run west–east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! I always thought this was a general rule of street naming, but I didn't realize it was not the case in every city. In that case, the board is fine as is in this regard and disregard my first question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

...and for those of us lucky enough to have a 1st edition will know that in Commonville East is West and West is East.

Yes, I know there is (and have) the kit which rectifies this situation but I love Commonville just the way it is.

The things I like about cities I visit, both real and imagined, are the things that make them unique.

Still, whichever ever way you like your cities this is a great game. I'm glad you've joined the club.

RB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
randyd42 wrote:
but I immediately spotted the error in the naming of the streets. Avenues always run north-south and Streets always run east-west, but on this map this is reversed.

This depends on the city. For instance in Washington D.C. the numbered streets run north–south (and lettered streets run west-east), but nearby Baltimore's numbered streets run west–east.

Denver is an example of a city with Avenues running east-west and Streets running north-south. Since Common Man Games is based in Denver, this is likely a direct inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_Avenue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:

Yup, touche.

Any reason why the chosen design for the police cars did not include the flashers for the final game?

The look of police vehicles with their flashers on parked outside an emergency or crime spot or a gang really adds to the theme of the game (they look great in the photos of the prototype game). Not to mention moving an extra space with police cars makes sense when they have their flashers blaring. Lastly, making the police cars conspicuous with their flashers helps to more easily distinguish them from the unmarked car option with no flashers and also serve to remind that the their advantage is the extra movement while the unmarked cars are more inconspicuous and therefore makes sense that their advantage is the extra investigation card draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:

Yup, touche.

Any reason why the chosen design for the police cars did not include the flashers for the final game?

The look of police vehicles with their flashers on parked outside an emergency or crime spot or a gang really adds to the theme of the game (they look great in the photos of the prototype game). Not to mention moving an extra space with police cars makes sense when they have their flashers blaring. Lastly, making the police cars conspicuous with their flashers helps to more easily distinguish them from the unmarked car option with no flashers and also serve to remind that the their advantage is the extra movement while the unmarked cars are more inconspicuous and therefore makes sense that their advantage is the extra investigation card draw.

Hey Randy!

Those are very interesting ideas!

Let me take you back in time:

When we came out with the 2nd Edition, it was done in order to greatly upgrade the graphics vs the 1st edition.

At that time we took in a lot of input from fans of the game.

The fan involvement was absolutely awesome with that project.

Of course it was not all unanimous in terms of what exactly we should change, and into what, and how, etc, etc, but in the end...

We were able to please the vast majority of fans.

(meaning, not all fans thought one thing or another, there were two sides to every decision, and lots of discussion among fans about the pros and cons. We (CMG & Ole) were involved in those discussions too of course (partly to orchestrate it, and partly to have our thoughts heard as well).

Had you been around then, you could have voiced these thoughts and possibly you would have swayed hearts and minds of the masses. Had that happened, to this day, the lights might be on (because of you).

Wish you had been there!

It was an awesome experience and you would have been a great part of that process.

I hope you are around for the next "big thing" with Police Precinct, it should great fun all over again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. I only recently looked into this game and I'll definitely be keeping my eye open now for future updates... maybe if a future add-on or promo pack includes updated car components, I will offer up my vote for the flashing lights.

After reviewing these messageboards, I can see that you definitely take the cake for a game publisher that is excited about their product and very much involved in input of fans. I can see why Tom said in his Top 10 list that if any publisher would likely make a legacy version of their game, it would be you guys.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what's coming down the pike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. I only recently looked into this game and I'll definitely be keeping my eye open now for future updates... maybe if a future add-on or promo pack includes updated car components, I will offer up my vote for the flashing lights.

After reviewing these messageboards, I can see that you definitely take the cake for a game publisher that is excited about their product and very much involved in input of fans. I can see why Tom said in his Top 10 list that if any publisher would likely make a legacy version of their game, it would be you guys.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what's coming down the pike.

Cool!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.