BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A shorter game similar to Terra Mystica? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Terra Mystica and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. One letdown for me, however, was the game length - the game stretched beyond three hours, and I like my games not much longer than 90 minutes. I don't know a lot of eurogames, so my frame of reference is very limited, but I've narrowed my criteria down to the following (apart from resembling Terra Mystica in general):

Beautiful visuals - I'm used to Ameritrash where component actually resemble what they are - the level in TM was sufficient for me

Engine building - I like to "upgrade", choose a direction among several different paths etc.

Variable player powers - this is always a plus for me

Theme - just some, it makes it easier for me to connect with the game

Area control - (not paramount)

Hope there is a game that fits the bill. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always prefered Archipelago to TM (not super similar, but scratches the same itch for me). Much better visuals, and the short scenarios are closer to 90 minutes. However, it does not play well with 2 and only okay with 3, but if you have 4 then it would be worth a look. Not as much engine building, but a great feeling of building a little civ without a lot of negative player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars might work for you, but I have to point out that your first play of a heavy game like Terra Mystica is probably going to be much longer than it will be after you've played it a few times, so judging it now seems a bit unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should keep playing Terra Mystica! The game length should definitely not be 3 hours in general, even with 5 players. Experienced players could easily knock out a 4-player game in under 2 hours, but this may still be too long for you.

A possible alternative is Deus, which I recommend with some trepidation, not having played it myself. It seems pretty enough, has solid engine building that sort of evolve into variable player powers over the course of the game, and the theme seems like it should work for you.

Another possibility to appeal to your Ameritrash side is the recently released Anachrony. It's stunning on the table and definitely has engine building as you construct buildings and super projects. There are variable player powers and a solid theme as well! Unfortunately, it's likely going to run about 2 hours with 4 players (more likely 3 hours for the first couple of plays).

My absolute top pick would be ZhanGuo, which has some similarities to Deus in its mechanisms. It really ticks off each item you listed (though visuals are subjective I suppose, but I think it's on par with Terra Mystica). Most importantly, it has the best engine building aspect of any game I have played. My concern here is that it too will exceed your target 90 minute play time. Realistically, 4 players should finish the game in just under 2 hours once they have all played once or twice before.

Finally, as somewhat of a different recommendation, I going to suggest Glass Road. I cannot imagine any game of this ever exceeding 90 minutes, and most will be played in under 60 minutes! It has a solid engine building aspect but feels very different from the other recommendations I've mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Deus. I really like that. I like TM too.

You'd probably like Age of Empires. It might go longer than 90 minutes with a higher player count.

Antiquity might tickle your pickle. Will be back in print in the fall.

Endeavor you might like.

I dunno, just going through the games I rank highly like I do TM that have aspects of what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Terraforming Mars might work for you, but I have to point out that your first play of a heavy game like Terra Mystica is probably going to be much longer than it will be after you've played it a few times, so judging it now seems a bit unfair.

+1 to this. We can play Terra Mystica in ~ an hour (4 players). Our first learning play prob took 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
ajsoares wrote:

+1 to this. We can play Terra Mystica in ~ an hour (4 players). Our first learning play prob took 3 hours.

Sound newbie to me. Yesterday I finished a 5p Terra Mystica game in about 20 minutes (including set - up). We could finish it sooner, but on the third round , one played had to visit his doctor and we had to wait for him .

So OP do not worry, after a couple of games , the game time will drop to 3-4 minutes per player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Terra Mystica does get a lot faster with experience. Some of the examples here are perhaps overselling it (while it is possible, I guess that are groups who play Terra Mystica every week or even day). I still think if you don't play it every week, it will still take about 1-2 hours depending of number and experience of players, especially if you are still learning all the factions (who do need a different approach). In the beginning, it gets a lot faster with lesser players.

However, 90 minutes is very doable if every player has a bit experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is a great game, but is at least as long as Terra Mystica, so probably doesn't fit OP's request.

Agree that the best bet is to just get more proficient at Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
ajsoares wrote:

Sound newbie to me. Yesterday I finished a 5p Terra Mystica game in about 20 minutes (including set - up). We could finish it sooner, but on the third round , one played had to visit his doctor and we had to wait for him .

So OP do not worry, after a couple of games , the game time will drop to 3-4 minutes per player

What?

Are you thinking of the correct game? Terra Mystica is not an overall 20 mins game, nor 3/4 mins per player game... perhaps you are missing a zero off all your numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slumpy wrote:
S0laris wrote:
ajsoares wrote:

What?

Are you thinking of the correct game? Terra Mystica is not an overall 20 mins game, nor 3/4 mins per player game... perhaps you are missing a zero off all your numbers?

Think he's being sarcastic at me? But, I still stand by my hour. We've played together with the same group of four over 20x and while we haven't played for a while since we honestly overplayed (amazing game but mixing things up is necessary), when we do play we all have a certain setup task (so with four players efficiently setting up it's really quick)and play at least 3 games of it back to back. (Which I don't think is necessary to get to 1 hour - 1.5 hours realistically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ok, makes sense. Though I can see how you could play it in an hour when streamlining and experienced enough. The issues I've had with playtime in the past has been with new players and AP, but otherwise it does run quite smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might seem a strange one, but to me Scythe feels like Terra Mystica. It's a fab game and matches all your criteria, although not so short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
51st State! There's no area control, but the cards are beautiful, it's dripping with theme, there's lots of little engines to build, and definitely has variable player powers. Games usually last about 1 to 2 hrs, depending on how many players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I came in here to recommend Hansa Teutonica, but that only covers your need regarding Engine Building. It's not pretty. It doesn't have variable player powers. It's theme ... is ... there (maybe). It's got a little bit of area control.

It's a fantastic game though. Very interactive - you need to mess with your opponents to have a chance. I love it, and I'd recommend you take a look at it at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
To be vulnerable ...
badge
... is needed most of all.
mbmb
ajsoares wrote:
... I still stand by my hour. We've played together with the same group of four over 20x and while we haven't played for a while since we honestly overplayed (amazing game but mixing things up is necessary), when we do play we all have a certain setup task (so with four players efficiently setting up it's really quick)and play at least 3 games of it back to back. (Which I don't think is necessary to get to 1 hour - 1.5 hours realistically).
I didn't think 60 minutes sounded normal at all and after reading this, I can confirm that nothing about how you play Terra Mystica is normal. I agree it's a good game and will be less than 3 hours once you've played more but I would still expect 2, especially with setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also came to say Scythe... but I'm in agreement that TM shortens up with subsequent plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire - great components, very quick playing time and there is engine building elements. No real area control though.

Or go for Blood Rage great minis and euro elements (drafting, victory point salad, tech trees of sorts etc) and area control. Inis is even more in the area control way and is pretty and plays quicker than TM although your not building tech trees, does have area control....Or Catan - the game that inspired TM in the first place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benme wrote:
maybe The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire - great components, very quick playing time and there is engine building elements. No real area control though.

Or go for Blood Rage great minis and euro elements (drafting, victory point salad, tech trees of sorts etc) and area control. Inis is even more in the area control way and is pretty and plays quicker than TM although your not building tech trees, does have area control....Or Catan - the game that inspired TM in the first place

So Catan inspired TM because they use hex tiles with different types of terrain? That's the only similarity, and I would venture to guess it's not inspired by Catan at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only question would be...why does the length bother you, if you thoroughly enjoy the experience?

The only game that really feels similar to Terra Mystica to me is Eclipse, but that's a longer game.

I agree that some of the games others have mentioned, that I've played, are good games, but I wouldn't say any are similar to TM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first light version of Terra Mystica I think of is Kingdom builder. It's kind of like Terra Mystica's younger not as pretty sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:
I also came to say Scythe... but I'm in agreement that TM shortens up with subsequent plays.

Agree on both counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Hansa Teutonica. my game group loves this one. the selective unlocking of your skill tree leads to variable player powers. The blocking of occupied spaces on the board almost necessitates variable strategies. There are many different strategies to win. no two games are ever the same for us. and we have knocked this one out in 20 minutes, (although that was unusual).

we have probably played this 20 or 30 time sin the last 2-3 years without any need to break open the expansions. I would imagine it would be easy to get your hands on it.

Maybe Glen More as well. you build a bit of a development tableau, but with a much shorter play time, not to mention it comes in a much smaller, lighter box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.