BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why is Brass so hot ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: it_ain't_the_heat_it's_the_humidity [+] [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Why is Brass so hot?
Is there any reason, other than the reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's one of the best games ever made. If you like economic euros, play it and you will see why. It's one of the best implementations of hand management I have seen. And due to the fact that you want the industries to be used, it is a competitive game that actually has a cooperative slant. Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
good game, great designer, reprint coming. Need more?

Isn't that more reason then the latest over-hyped kick-starter without history?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The cover's a nice step up too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Guantanamo wrote:

Well, it's hot because a Kickstarter of a new edition of it has been advertised, incl. a pic of the new box cover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Well, it's hot because a Kickstarter of a new edition of it has been advertised, incl. a pic of the new box cover...

So you agree with me? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain metals retain their heat longer.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people who have a lot of experience playing this think of the rule changes for the latest edition? I've only played it once and liked it quite a bit. I was thinking of picking it up to get it played more but have been wondering if I should wait for the new one or pick up the edition I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
What do people who have a lot of experience playing this think of the rule changes for the latest edition? I've only played it once and liked it quite a bit. I was thinking of picking it up to get it played more but have been wondering if I should wait for the new one or pick up the edition I've played.

From what I have read, there are little to no rules changes for Brass: Lancashire. Brass: Birmingham is a separate game and that has significant rules changes. I think both versions will be available on KickStarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
If it was just because it is a nice game, it would be always hot, not just 2 weeks in 3 years.
Obviously it is because of the reprint.I am surprised to come to N3, because of that.From what I know and saw in the reviews it is the same long, silent, boring stuff as Agricola and Fresco etc.But these are the highest rated games, and actually they are the smartest designes, they are jsut not interesting to play.
And if you wonder, the guy on the cover is Daniel Day-Lewis from There will be blood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Kickstarter

You could have stopped right there.

Pete (sometimes thinks the Hotness might as well be called "trending on Kickstarter")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
WetRock wrote:

From what I have read, there are little to no rules changes for Brass: Lancashire. Brass: Birmingham is a separate game and that has significant rules changes. I think both versions will be available on KickStarter.

Everything I have read is to that same effect as well. I'm still not clear if they will both be on one KS or if it will be two separate campaigns, but I'm excited for both the nice reprint (I'll be re-purchasing it to A) support the game and B) to get a nice mounted 2P map) and for the new Birmingham game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
If it was just because it is a nice game, it would be always hot, not just 2 weeks in 3 years.
Obviously it is because of the reprint.I am surprised to come to N3, because of that.From what I know and saw in the reviews it is the same long, silent, boring stuff as Agricola and Fresco etc.But these are the highest rated games, and actually they are the smartest designes, they are jsut not interesting to play.
And if you wonder, the guy on the cover is Daniel Day-Lewis from There will be blood!

So it's a highly rated game, like Agricola and Fresco, but none of them are interesting to play? I wonder why people rate them so highly? "Eh, boring as 'ell to play mate, but I gotta give 'em credit for the smart design work!"

I haven't played Brass yet but if it's as fun as Agricola I need to give it a shot soonest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
skutsch wrote:
realfen wrote:

So it's a highly rated game, like Agricola and Fresco, but none of them are interesting to play? I wonder why people rate them so highly? "Eh, boring as 'ell to play mate, but I gotta give 'em credit for the smart design work!"

I haven't played Brass yet but if it's as fun as Agricola I need to give it a shot soonest.

Where is the problem, in giving them credit, and thinking that they are boring? Because they ARE incredibly slow and boring and literaly the oposite of fun.GO is the "smartest" game ever made.Is it FUN then?I played Agricola once, and it is too slow and boring, I have Fresco big box, and will sell it in a week.Twilight Struggle was N1 for 2 years, is it FUN? NO! Can i get people to lpay these games?NO! WHY? Because they are boring. These are games for hardcore gamers, who just want to show that they are better at some game and to win.Not to have fun, I have been in clubs, they are just there to work.Some of them are a friends of mine.TTR is better game than Brass.Classic music is genius, but i hardly believe that you listen to it, all day long, instead of some Pop/Rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
skutsch wrote:
realfen wrote:

Where is the problem, in giving them credit, and thinking that they are boring? Because they ARE incredibly slow and boring and literaly the oposite of fun.GO is the "smartest" game ever made.Is it FUN then?I played Agricola once, and it is too slow and boring, I have Fresco big box, and will sell it in a week.Twilight Struggle was N1 for 2 years, is it FUN? NO! Can i get people to lpay these games?NO! WHY? Because they are boring. These are games for hardcore gamers, who just want to show that they are better at some game and to win.Not to have fun, I have been in clubs, they are just there to work.Some of them are a friends of mine.TTR is better game than Brass.Classic music is genius, but i hardly believe that you listen to it, all day long, instead of some Pop/Rock.

Heaven forbid someone likes substance over 'pop flavor of the week'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd Lantern
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Love board games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is TTR an abbreviation for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
ARE THERE MINIS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I live in Lancashire, Bolton to be exact. Looking at the map, they've got the route of my local canal wrong. There is no direct waterway between Bury and Manchester. There is a canal that runs between Bolton and Bury and this has a flight of locks about half way along that lead down to the canal that runs to Manchester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Why is Brass so hot?

Because I have it rated as a 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Guantanamo wrote:
realfen wrote:
skutsch wrote:
realfen wrote:

Heaven forbid someone likes substance over 'pop flavor of the week'

If I can invite friends and have fun playing a game, and talk while we play it, and have some interaction, then it is a really good game.IF I have to find the 10 special snowflakes in the town who likes boring games, to prove that they are smart, then no it is not a very good game.There are a lot of realy smart people, which are very boring company, and i prefer other people with whom I will have good time, instead of proving how smart I am, because I can not otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
ReddLantern wrote:
What is TTR an abbreviation for?

ticket to ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
skutsch wrote:
realfen wrote:

You're so close to a good point here...but then you have to go and turn nasty.

Pete (gets what you're saying, but thinks you're communicating very ineffectively)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
skutsch wrote:
realfen wrote:

You be huge wrong big time fella me lad. I have fun playing Agricola (and Twilight Struggle) because it is fun. Now maybe you'd call me one of them thar "hardcore gamers" who just want to show that I'm better, but it's not true. Ok, maybe I'm semi hardcore, but not full hardcore, because I always pan the camera away before the money shot. But what about all those other tens of thousands of players who think Agricola is fun? All hardcore too, huh?

Ok, how about my lovely wife? She is not a hardcore gamer. She's a gamer because I've nagged her into becoming one. She rolls her eyes whenever I want to teach her just one more new game. "Couldn't we just play Agricola?" she says, plaintively. So we did, this afternoon (with the Farmers of the Moor expansion). It was fun. Well, I had fun, she lost by 3 pts and groaned "If only I'd built my stone house!!!" Still, I think she was having fun.

You seem to have mistaken your fondness for Dixit and Small World as proof that those, and similar difficulty games, are the only games people should find fun. This is not so. Some of us like denser, more complicated games. We find them, oh gosh, what's the word? Tip of my tongue here... Oh yeah: FUN! (I also find Dixit fun, btw, but not Small World.)

(EDIT: Nothing wrong about YOU not finding Agricola fun. Different strokes, different folks. It's just rather silly to call a game that is so highly rated, that so many folks, myself included, find fun, boring, as if it's the final word on the game. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd Lantern
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Love board games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
ARE THERE MINIS?

They will be made of Brass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.