Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Is there any hope that this great game would ever get decent reprint? By decent I am thinking better looking with better components, as this game deserve it!
I hate look of components now, and quality too.
I see that BGG users, generally share that opinion.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reprint?
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,
Is there any hope that this great game would ever get decent reprint? By decent I am thinking better looking with better components, as this game deserve it!
Thanks.

Hopefully, it will receive the royal treatment at some point in time. If it does, I would guess there would be a 10th Anniversary Edition. Unfortunately, 10 years for CoB is 2021.

But I agree, a Deluxe Edition would be wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,
Thanks.

Well, Ravensburger is not in the business of catering to BGG user base, so you are out of luck thete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
talk about a misleading thread title... it implies the game is out of print and you are asking if it will be reprinted... but it's far from out of print... in stock most everywhere...

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/castleburgundy

but it sounds like you are just asking for a deluxe edition... and you missed the existing threads....

Will there ever be a deluxe edition?

Deluxe Edition?

How about a Deluxe version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
talk about a misleading thread title... it implies the game is out of print and you are asking if it will be reprinted... but it's far from out of print... in stock most everywhere...

http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/castleburgundy

but it sounds like you are just asking for a deluxe edition... and you missed the existing threads....

Will there ever be a deluxe edition?

Deluxe Edition?

How about a Deluxe version?

Changed title. OK now?
I have missed those.
And I am not asking for Deluxe version, I am dreaming of DECENT version, as components are terrible as they are.
Comparing to Keyflower, Tigris and Eufrates, Voyages of Marco Polo, or even Trajan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The components are not terrible. They are fine. You may not like them, but they are good quality, fine components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,

No. A vocal minority likes to complain about it.

And generally doesn't have any substantial complaints anyway. The cardboard is a little thinner than some games (but still high quality.) The player boards that never do anything but sit there are cardstock . . . so? What are you trying to use them as frisbees? The art? Completely subjective. I love it. Not to mention it comes with an amazingly functional insert unlike most games ever.

If you want it to be a 70 dollar game for some pointless reason . . . fine. But it is really pretty amazing for 22 bucks on amazon and the components work just as well as any standard euro or wargame out there (and are better than many.) (Maybe people should check out wargame counters before they assume that anything less than an agricola player board for thickness somehow makes a game unplayable.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have several small expansions for the game and a new edition would likely not incorporate all of them, I have no interest in a new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,

No. A vocal minority likes to complain about it.

And generally doesn't have any substantial complaints anyway.

Respectfully, I'm not sure "complains" would be the proper phrasing. A vocal section of CoB fans enjoys the game enough that they'd (we'd) like to see it have nicer components and/or newer art.

From my perspective, I enjoy the base game (a lot), have all but one of the tile expansions, and have printed the player board expansions on thick, glossy, cover card stock. I have no problem with the base game, nor its components. But I'd very much like to see it deluxified, if for no other reason than - it's a great game.

As a simple example, Ticket to Ride's Anniversary edition looks great, and is even more inviting than the original base game. Is it better? That's pretty subjective. But people who already owned the base purchased the Anniversary edition just for the new, larger, more colorful board and nicer components. And I'm pretty confident CoB fans would do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Ticket to Ride's Anniversary edition looks great, and is even more inviting than the original base game. Is it better? That's pretty subjective. But people who already owned the base purchased the Anniversary edition just for the new, larger, more colorful board and nicer components. And I'm pretty confident CoB fans would do the same.

I own everything for CoB. The components are perfectly acceptable, as is the artwork. I would definitely not re-purchase a newer edition, so perhaps you meant to say that you are pretty confident that some CoB fans would do the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
The components are not terrible. They are fine. You may not like them, but they are good quality, fine components.

I agree the component quality is good and I like the look of the game as well. But everyone is entitled to their (wrong)opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
WooHoo1 wrote:
Ticket to Ride's Anniversary edition looks great, and is even more inviting than the original base game. Is it better? That's pretty subjective. But people who already owned the base purchased the Anniversary edition just for the new, larger, more colorful board and nicer components. And I'm pretty confident CoB fans would do the same.

I own everything for CoB. The components are perfectly acceptable, as is the artwork. I would definitely not re-purchase a newer edition, so perhaps you meant to say that you are pretty confident that some CoB fans would do the same?

Yes, some. Just as some people who purchased TTR Anniversary after already owning TTR base, some CoB fans would do the same.

Similarly, I think if a Deluxe Kickstarter for CoB came up, it would receive more support than some would think it would/should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue I have with the components is that the yellow and green colours are a tad too similar in bad light. The overall quality of the actual components themselves is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The only issue I have with the components is that the yellow and green colours are a tad too similar in bad light. The overall quality of the actual components themselves is fine.

Completely agree with this. The overall quality is fine.
I'd just make yellows and greens more differentiable and have thicker cardboard for the tokens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,
... decent reprint? By decent I am thinking better looking with better components, as this game deserve it!
Thanks.

Burgundy has the biggest difference between its gameplay quality(high!) and its component quality (low) of any game I seen.

I find it so bewildering that people defend the component quality that I honestly question their veracity. Just look:

- The player boards are made of paper. Paper! ... okay, it is thick paper, but this is widely low quality. Compare them to the double cardboard player boards in Scythe for an example of high quality.

- The game board doesn't lay flat / bends up in the center

- The colors on the player boards don't match the chits that don't match the game board ... come on!

Let's agree that we can love the game while admitting the components are not good, or even okay. They are definitively bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khanheir wrote:
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,
... decent reprint? By decent I am thinking better looking with better components, as this game deserve it!
Thanks.

Burgundy has the biggest difference between its gameplay quality(high!) and its component quality (low) of any game I seen.

I find it so bewildering that people defend the component quality that I honestly question their veracity. Just look:

- The player boards are made of paper. Paper! ... okay, it is thick paper, but this is widely low quality. Compare them to the double cardboard player boards in Scythe for an example of high quality.

- The colors on the player boards don't match the chits that don't match the game board ... come on!

Let's agree that we can love the game while admitting the components are not good, or even okay. They are definitively bad.

This is not entirely true.

The player mats are the same material as Blood Rage or Fury of Dracula for example.

The board game is the same as any other game.

I agree with the color scheme and I'd use thicker cardboard for all tokens.

Other than that the criticism is unfair as the materials are quite standard (board game, player mats, score tokens and dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Khanheir wrote:
Nuuq wrote:
Hello,
Thanks.

This is not entirely true.

The player mats are the same material as Blood Rage or Fury of Dracula for example.

The board game is the same as any other game.

I agree with the color scheme and I'd use thicker cardboard for all tokens.

Other than that the criticism is unfair as the materials are quite standard (board game, player mats, score tokens and dice).

It's infact comparable to standard edition Puerto Rico in tile and player mat thickness, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's infact comparable to standard edition Puerto Rico in tile and player mat thickness, I think.

Good example. As that's another excellent game that received a deluxe/Anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Quote:

Good example. As that's another excellent game that received a deluxe/Anniversary edition.

True. And there's a good chance Burgundy might get one in 4 years.
But as for the current game, it's a low-pricepoint medium weight game, with perfectly acceptable set of components for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only asked if CoB will get better components print
I really don't like them as they are now.
Didn't want any arguments.
This will teach me to think twice before asking.
Sorry to anyone that got upset with my post, but I just think that with new print with better components and choice of colors even more people would buy this.
Cheera
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Doe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems custom tailored for a Kickstarter edition -- similar to TMG's Orleans Deluxe. Those that are fine with existing, less expensive version of the game would not pledge. Those that would like a nicer, more expensive version would pledge. If the demand was big enough, it would be funded and worthwhile to do -- if funding was not met, the demand just wasn't there.

Personally, I think TMG could do a fantastic job on something like this -- so long as they included all the expansions/boards, etc. Pure speculation, but I have a hard time seeing that KS not doing extremely well. I'm sure there's significant licensing / partnership hurdles to overcome, but as a fan, sure would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, opinions aren't facts. If someone posts they like blue, replying that red is better is silly. Stating the components and art are fine is strictly your opinion that some others may very well disagree with. I also think the components are fine, but the OP is just saying he likes the game enough to wish it had better quality components. I certainly agree with him. The components look good and are functional imo, but I'd love thicker cardboard, a different color scheme (yellow and light green are tough on myself and another color-blind friend), the board could be a bit bigger and the center popping up drives me nuts, the dice aren't cool at all and are a bit undersized imo, the smaller tiles make for harder to see art / effects, the thinness of the tiles are harder to pull off a stack to replenish each phase without knocking the pile over, etc. etc. etc. Again, the game is AMAZING and the components are just fine, but I'd be down with a redo at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerZ wrote:
Seems custom tailored for a Kickstarter edition -- similar to TMG's Orleans Deluxe. Those that are fine with existing, less expensive version of the game would not pledge. Those that would like a nicer, more expensive version would pledge. If the demand was big enough, it would be funded and worthwhile to do -- if funding was not met, the demand just wasn't there.

Personally, I think TMG could do a fantastic job on something like this -- so long as they included all the expansions/boards, etc. Pure speculation, but I have a hard time seeing that KS not doing extremely well. I'm sure there's significant licensing / partnership hurdles to overcome, but as a fan, sure would be nice.

Largest hurdle is that it's an Alea/Ranvensburger publication, which isn't particularily conducive to other publishers producing deluxe versions.

Anyways, in four years we might get an anniversary version, and we'll have reference for how the components evolve from this years 10th anniversary releases of Notre Dame and In The Year of The Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components, for such an amazing game, are not up to modern standards. That fact keeps it off my table more than it should. We spend too much time squinting at tiles that all look pretty much the same.

A $70 version of top 10 BGG game would sell well ... how many owners would upgrade? Many.

Stunning that Ravensburger doesn't see this. They should hook up on a conference call with CMoN on how important components are these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Ravensburger sold enough Burgens. A few geeks complaining about the components will not get them to make a new version. I'm guessing alea will not change to more chrome anyhow. They make games with good components and sell them based on gameplay; not minis and metal and whatnot. (Yes, I know, I'm exaggerating, they don't need metal minis in Burgen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.