Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved alot during the past 30 years; about once every other year. I've wargamed for even longer. My favorite wargames involve 15mm medieval miniature (though I am building a 15mm ancients collection also). I've learned a few things about safeguarding my miniatures during a move. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and sometimes nothing on earth would have protected them. So, I've done lots of repairs on my miniatures over the many years.

What has worked for me many times was to mount the miniatures onto steel stands, and place them in a plano box lined with magnetic sheets, holding the miniatures firmly in place.

However, on my last move, and hopefully the last move I will ever make, it wasn't enough.

Behold the disaster that struck my army during the move:

Anyone with a similar experience (or photos of the devastation) to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
"The horror. The horror."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eagles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bummer. Did you cry?

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb

... on the plus side though, there's no little "bits" floating around (or did you remove them prior to the pic being taken?) - suggesting there's not much "damage" to the models themselves?

Just a bit of tlc and a lick of paint here and there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seagles wrote:
What a bummer. Did you cry?

S.

No. Just a deep and heavy sigh of sadness. I'm all cried out the first two or three time this happened when I first started moving with all my figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed Adict wrote:

... on the plus side though, there's no little "bits" floating around (or did you remove them prior to the pic being taken?) - suggesting there's not much "damage" to the models themselves?

Just a bit of tlc and a lick of paint here and there?

Most of the bits were beneath the rubble. But over all not too bad. Had to re-glue some knights to the horses, and a handful of figures back to their bases. Several lances, swords, and flags are broken off, which are hard to repair.

Some of the horses were snapped at the legs, but not completely off the all four legs, so they are barely hanging on. This is recoverable.

Tons of paint chips though, especially on the lances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes. A number of years ago, I had the shelves on which my boxes of miniatures (amongst other things) were sat fall off the wall.

Fortunately many of them had some form of packing, and much of the shelf contents just slid down the shelf itself, but there was one box (the contents of which greatly resembled yours, as it happened...) that wasn't packed, and which just fell off (from over head height).

Not pretty. Still haven't got around to gluing all the shields back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cry crycrycrycry crycrycrycry crycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had to hand my luggage, incl the bag with the minis in, in to the luggage handling facility at a convention, because it was somewhy unacceptable to have it standing in a corridor while I was helping to clean up the place. I carefully explained that the contents where fragile and that the bag had to be stored right side up.

Naturally, they put it on a chair so carelessly it fell off, rotating 180° in the processes.

Lesson: Never volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:

Anyone with a similar experience (or photos of the devastation) to share?

We swore an oath never to mention the Great Wings of Glory: World War 1 – Gotha G. V Accident ever again. First time I saw someone turn white when he saw what happened to his model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken lance and horse legs can be fixed by soldering the mini.

Sounds weird but use a low wattage pencil iron for electronic work with a water soluble flux, like Kester 331.

The water flux means you can lightly clean the mini with warm water to remove any flux residue, whereas normal flux needs alcohol or worse.

You apply the solder to the iron tip and flow it into the joint, sort of the opposite of soldering electronic components. Practice a bit on other minis first to get the hang of it. You might need a variable temp iron but 25-35 watt should work fine.

This works really well when assembling large pewter models like old GW monsters, as well. The solder can be filed and sculpted just like pewter.

This is how Jack Scruby, Don Featherstone, and many other actually made master figures back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Broken lance and horse legs can be fixed by soldering the mini.

Sounds weird but use a low wattage pencil iron for electronic work with a water soluble flux, like Kester 331.

The water flux means you can lightly clean the mini with warm water to remove any flux residue, whereas normal flux needs alcohol or worse.

You apply the solder to the iron tip and flow it into the joint, sort of the opposite of soldering electronic components. Practice a bit on other minis first to get the hang of it. You might need a variable temp iron but 25-35 watt should work fine.

This works really well when assembling large pewter models like old GW monsters, as well. The solder can be filed and sculpted just like pewter.

This is how Jack Scruby, Don Featherstone, and many other actually made master figures back in the day.

Great info to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
When I was a young fellow I took my newly finished 5mm ACW army to the local club one winters evening. While waiting for the bus to go home, I dropped the box they were in and dumped most of them into a foot and a half of snow. It was dark, and the bus came before I was finished searching. There were some deserters.

A guy at the local club brought in his army that he had just painted up in preparation for running a game at a big convention. That evening on his way out he put the boxes on top of his car, then proceeded to drive off with them still on the roof. He too had some deserters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

Of course I was worried about melting my miniature.
DegenerateElite wrote:
You apply the solder to the iron tip and flow it into the joint, sort of the opposite of soldering electronic components.

Exactly the opposite, and yet completely intuitive: everybody has to get trained out of it. Then one can't imagine that in another situation it could be correct. So your description is helpful and emboldening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
When I was a young fellow I took my newly finished 5mm ACW army to the local club one winters evening. While waiting for the bus to go home, I dropped the box they were in and dumped most of them into a foot and a half of snow. It was dark, and the bus came before I was finished searching. There were some deserters.

A guy at the local club brought in his army that he had just painted up in preparation for running a game at a big convention. That evening on his way out he put the boxes on top of his car, then proceeded to drive off with them still on the roof. He too had some deserters.

"deserters" - love the term. very apropos.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost about 2/3 of the miniatures I've ever owned in a fire.

Pete (never really got back into that hobby)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmccue wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Of course I was worried about melting my miniature.
DegenerateElite wrote:
You apply the solder to the iron tip and flow it into the joint, sort of the opposite of soldering electronic components.

Exactly the opposite, and yet completely intuitive: everybody has to get trained out of it. Then one can't imagine that in another situation it could be correct. So your description is helpful and emboldening.

It takes some getting used to for sure.

You definitely don't want to melt the mini, and on really large ones it would likely take more heat than a pencil iron can produce.

Once you get the hang of it, you wonder why you haven't used it all along for repairs and large pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't exactly an army, but when I was a kid, I arranged all my best painted lead figures in a cool battle scene/diorama at the base of a tree out in the back yard. Then I went in for lunch.

You know that feeling of anxious worry that there's something really important you should be remembering? I got that feeling a couple hours later when my mom told me to mow the lawn; it vanished the instant the lawnmower made a sound like someone had heaved a shovelful of gravel into the blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I hated re-telling my story, and all I had was a mess and some gluing to do (with maybe the occasional touch-up).

That (Kuhrusty's story) was actually painful to read. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you're into miniatures it's pretty much unavoidable some of your stuff will get damaged at some point in time. I've had a resin battle-cruiser for The Uncharted Seas snap in 2, but with a bit of glue and touch-ups it's virtually invisible from a playing distance.

Anyway, what real army in a real war didn't look a bit worn with various pieces of kit broken ? So dropping your models might make them look more realistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

A friend of mine rested his plastic bag of miniatures against his still warm moped exhaust and watched his bag of freshly painted miniatures tumble out and down the steep hill he was on. A nice double whammy.

He also went off with a bag of miniatures on his car roof but they clung on until he accelerated onto a very busy highway, where most of them ended up as roadkill. He didn't attempt to retrieve the others.

Amazingly he is a very high up figure in a well-known chain of food stores now.

My favourite story though was another friend who reversed over his own bag of minatures. The look on his face when he realised what he had done will cheer me up through many a dark time.

After all, what are friends for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Boits Jr
United States
Chesterton
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take a deep breath, and go through one by one, making repairs. Every time I've moved, no matter how securly I pack, some of my minitures take some damage (mostly Flames of War). Moving sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
looks like there was a riot in there.
I do hope that any damage is minor and recoverable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mathews
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this problem once and since then I got some soft magnetic basing material from Tiny tin troops and I can tip a 10mm tank upside down and it wont fall off.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched a box of 28mm War of Spanish Succession figures slide off a car once. There was some breakage. Those magnetic bases don't hold for an major drop. Probably should have some foam over some figures in addition to the magnets for some moves.

Another friend had his 15mm Napoleonic Danish troops stolen out of his car. Probably ended up in a dumpster somewhere. Never saw them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.