Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hedge cover even when at a higher elevation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


In this picture, suppose a German unit is in L9.

If the Russians in G10 and H10 shoot at it, they suffer a -1 FP penalty for shooting uphill. Does the German also get to claim the +1 cover for the hedge, even though the hedge is at the lower elevation?

My opponent and I think yes, although it doesn't necessarily "feel" right.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
war_hero wrote:
If the Russians in G10 and H10 shoot at it, they suffer a -1 FP penalty for shooting uphill. Does the German also get to claim the +1 cover for the hedge, even though the hedge is at the lower elevation?

My opponent and I think yes, although it doesn't necessarily "feel" right.

Interesting; the rules as written seem to imply yes indeed (unless I'm overlooking something), but I agree that it is counter-intuitive!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, yes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree -- try to think of the elevation (and the hedge) as gradual rather than sudden. Not that you can rationalise these sorts of things.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
counter-intuitive but as as rules...

rules should be modified to included this situation

Quote:
COVER: none; or 1 if a Fire Attack crossed
the Hedge as it entered the target hex and the hexside is same or higher than level from its hex (not
applicable when defending against Mortars
or Artillery).


same about all terrain on hexsides...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
rules should be modified to included this situation

Quote:
COVER: none; or 1 if a Fire Attack crossed
the Hedge as it entered the target hex and the hexside is same or higher than level from its hex (not
applicable when defending against Mortars
or Artillery).


What if the hexside crosses between levels? I think it's too complicated. It's hard for me to see this as a big enough problem to require new rules.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So to take an extreme example, if the hill in L9 was 4 levels higher than the hedge, the cover modifier still applies?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
cmoipap wrote:
rules should be modified to included this situation

Quote:
COVER: none; or 1 if a Fire Attack crossed
the Hedge as it entered the target hex and the hexside is same or higher than level from its hex (not
applicable when defending against Mortars
or Artillery).


What if the hexside crosses between levels? I think it's too complicated. It's hard for me to see this as a big enough problem to require new rules.


sure.

design map is a real challenge
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
cmoipap wrote:
rules should be modified to included this situation

Quote:
COVER: none; or 1 if a Fire Attack crossed
the Hedge as it entered the target hex and the hexside is same or higher than level from its hex (not
applicable when defending against Mortars
or Artillery).


What if the hexside crosses between levels? I think it's too complicated. It's hard for me to see this as a big enough problem to require new rules.


Sooooo agree with you. Why add edge cases to an already rare situation. K.I.S.S. It works wonders for these illogical, but nonetheless extremely rare situations.

As HEEREN states above, it's about the challenge of designing maps, not changing rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Gabrielli
Italy
Ascoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid question, do the H10 and G10 Russians have LOS on L9?
Imho They don't have it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Painmaker87 wrote:
Stupid question, do the H10 and G10 Russians have LOS on L9?
Imho They don't have it.

Why do you think they don't?

I guess you're thinking that the intervening hedge blocks LOS? But that hedge is lower than L9, so by T88.4 it is not blocking LOS.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Gabrielli
Italy
Ascoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew i was forgetting something
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Painmaker87 wrote:
Stupid question, do the H10 and G10 Russians have LOS on L9?
Imho They don't have it.

Why do you think they don't?

I guess you're thinking that the intervening hedge blocks LOS? But that hedge is lower than L9, so by T88.4 it is not blocking LOS.


It puts them off when they shoot though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's logical both hexes get the cover. The higher elevation hex is also comprised of lower elevation.
So, if a portion of your troop gets a bonus, they all do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.