Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, I searched the forums but couldnt find an answer to my question.

I don`t know if it`s a bad wording in the german edition. To open the white lock, the heroes have to make those three skillchecks. If they succeed, they put their hero token next to the lock. I thougth the only reason to do that would be, if every hero can only succeed in one skillcheck and no other after the first, so the token would remember the players to that limit. The questbook however doesn`t clarify that.

My question:
Is one hero able to unlock the white lock alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the quest you are referring to is called "Fortune and Glory." (I am just documenting that since you did not mention it by name.)

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The confusion stems from the use of the phrase "place HIS hero token near the door." While one may infer from the use of the word "his" that each hero only has one hero token, this is not true in either the litteral or abstract sense. Each hero has several physical hero tokens. These are provided to simply keep track of various game mechanics. (Where did I get knocked out? Where was Tomble when he disappeared? Which hero gets the benefit of a spell? Etc.) If you ever run out of hero tokens, you can just use beads, coins, or whatever. (While it is hard to run out, it is not impossible. See, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/857495/hero-tokens for funny examples of people trying to figure out how to run out.) As such, I suggest reading the quest rule as "place ONE OF his hero tokens near the door."

Given this, and given that the quest rules do not state that a different hero must conduct subsequent tests, my reading is that a single hero could pass all three tests and open the lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he is.

As you figured out, the hero tokens only serve as a reminder of how many tests have been passed; they could have been fatigue tokens or coins as well.
It couldn't be a maximum of 1 test per hero, because in a 2-heroes campaign it will become and impossibile task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the reply guys.
I do know about the rules regarding the hero tokens, no problem there. My problem is the use of those tokens at this place. It could have been fatigue tokens, like in nearly every other quest (to count the rounds as the overlord for example) hero tokens are only used in moments, when the effect only applies to every hero once per quest or encounter (like threat tokens).
My heroes said the same thing as you and we played it that way, but I am confused by the use of the hero tokens. It serves no purpose but to confuse me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has been done so because that encounter already uses fatigue tokens as a round counter and to avoid possibile confusion during gameplay.
Plus, you now have a log of how much each hero contributed in picking the white lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, I can live with that.
My heros still did only one test each, cause it makes sense to let the highest skilled character do a certain test.
So everyone got what he wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.