3 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New character idea - Witcher rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
Hi guys,
I came up with the idea for a new mage knight character - Geralt the Witcher. You probably know him from the series of computer games and maybe from the saga novels by A. Sapkowski.
Anyway, the witcher is a monster slayer with great sword skills who can use magic signs. Hence I tried to focus on melee combat when creating his skills and unique cards. I haven't playtested him yet, but here is a list of all his skills and two unique deed cards.
If you think any of them is under/over-powered, boring, or not character-like please let me know. Any suggestions welcome!

Skills:

1. Yrden sign
Once a turn: Choose one enemy: It gets -1 to it's armor and -1 to it's attack. You cannot assign damage to this enemy in the ranged attack phase.

2.Ignis sign
Once a turn: ranged fire attack 1 / fire attack 2 / fire block 2

3. Heliotrope sign
Once a round in the block phase of a combat: You can flip this token to put the first wound you get this combat from an enemy attack to your discard pile instead of your hand. In the attack phase get 1 red mana token.

4. Quen sign
Once a turn: Block 2. If part of successful block, get 1 blue mana token.

5. Axii sign
Once a turn: get 2 influence. If used during interaction, gain one blue or red crystal to your inventory

6. Kaer Morhen training
Once a turn: Move 1. Terrain move cost of each fortified site and village is reduced by 1 this turn (to minimum 1).

7. Elixir making
Once a round: flip this token to discard a card to get a mana token of any basic color and a crystal of the same color as discarded card. If discarded card is an advanced action card, a spell or an artifact, get one crystal of any basic color and one crystal of the same color as discarded card (for artifact you choose any color)

8. Contract for a monster
Once a round, when in a village/keep/mage tower/monastery/city as an action you can spend 2 influence to fight a random green enemy token or 4 influence to fight a random red enemy token. If you defeat it, gain +2 reputation, +1 fame if it was green, or +2 reputation, +1 fame and an artifact if it was red. If you fail to defeat it, discard it without effect.

9. Motivation
Once a round on any player's turn: Flip this token to draw two cards. If you have the least fame (not tied), you may discard a card from your hand (including wound) to draw three cards instead.

10. Witcher's fame (cooperative)
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 3 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Any player may return it to you, face down, to reduce one enemy physical attack by 2 or fire / cold / cold fire attack by 1.

11. Witcher's scare (competetive)
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 3 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Until the start of your next turn, the next enemy any player fights, gets +1 to its first attack and +1 to it's armor.

CARDS:

Aard sign (replaces Determination):
Attack 2, block 2 or ranged attack 1.
or (1 blue mana):
Reduce first attack of an enemy by 1 (to minimum 0). Block 5. Counts twice against enemy with swiftness.

Witcher's swordsmanship (replaces Rage)
Attack 3. If you blocked at least one enemy in the block phase get Attack +1
or (1 red mana):
Attack 5. For each attack blocked in the block phase get Attack +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your ideas! Here's my initial feedback:

peef wrote:
1. Yrden sign
Once a turn: Choose one enemy: It gets -1 to it's armor and -1 to it's attack. You cannot assign damage to this enemy in the ranged attack phase.
This is strictly better than Wolfhawk's Taunt skill. It has to be changed. Taunt either {reduces just the Attack by -1} or {increases the Attack by +2 and reduces the armor by -1}.

If you want both to apply, you have to give another penalty to the player, by buffing the enemy otherwise. Off the top of my head, the enemy could gain physical resistance (which is a moot if you have elemental attacks, but makes the skill weak otherwise) or swift, brutal and/or poison. You have to experiment and playtest it.

By the way, from how it's worded, I assume this has no effect on enemies with Arcane Immunity, even the "-1 to its attack". Effects that target the attack state "reduce the attack of an enemy" and not "target an enemy, this enemy gets...". What is more, you can change the text as "during block phase" to remove the "ranged attack phase" clauses. Check Wolfhawk's skill.

peef wrote:
2.Ignis sign
Seems fine.

peef wrote:
3. Heliotrope sign
Once a round in the block phase of a combat: You can flip this token to put the first wound you get this combat from an enemy attack to your discard pile instead of your hand. In the attack phase get 1 red mana token.
First of all, I would add to the text "ignore any additional effects of that wound", like Veil of Mist.

Since this is once-per-round, I guess it's okay (compare to Krang's Battle Hardened or Braevalar's Elemental Resistance skills).

peef wrote:
4. Quen sign
Seems... fine I guess? Dunno, I would buff it a bit making it "gain a mana token of any color (including non-basic)".

peef wrote:
5. Axii sign
Once a turn: get 2 influence. If used during interaction, gain one blue or red crystal to your inventory
This, I would nerf it a bit: "If used during interaction, you may also flip this to gain one blue or red crystal to your inventory". Once-per-turn skills that gain crystals are too good. They don't exist afaik.

peef wrote:
6. Kaer Morhen training
Once a turn: Move 1. Terrain move cost of each fortified site and village is reduced by 1 this turn (to minimum 1).
Seems okay. Essentially it's another move 1 / move 2 skill, but the move 2 skill depends on the space you move on, not the round.

peef wrote:
7. Elixir making
Once a round: flip this token to discard a card to get a mana token of any basic color and a crystal of the same color as discarded card. If discarded card is an advanced action card, a spell or an artifact, get one crystal of any basic color and one crystal of the same color as discarded card (for artifact you choose any color)
Reminds me of Arythea's Invocation skill, as once-per-round and a bit more powerful. Seems right.

peef wrote:
Once a round, when in a village/keep/mage tower/monastery/city as an action you can spend 2 influence to fight a random green enemy token or 4 influence to fight a random red enemy token. If you defeat it, gain +2 reputation, +1 fame if it was green, or +2 reputation, +1 fame and an artifact if it was red. If you fail to defeat it, discard it without effect.
Interesting idea. For the green enemy it makes sense to give +2 Reputation / +1 Fame, instead of the standard +1 Reputation if it was Rampaging, as you are using up your action for the turn and paying 2 Influence.

As for the Red enemy, I am not sure for the extra Artifact; sure, you pay 4 Influence to do that, but on top of that, you get to use your units, you already gain +1 Fame, compared to a rampaging one. Since it's a single draconum and you get to use your units, I would award one Advanced Action from the offer, instead. One Artifact seems way too good.

Another idea would be to modify the extra bonus of the Red enemy based on where the contract takes place. For instance, you may gain +1 Reputation, +1 Fame (on top of the +2 Rep. / +1 Fame) if in a Village/Keep/Refugee Camp, an Advanced Action if in a Monastery, a Spell if in a Mage Tower, an Artifact if in a City. Thus, there's still the possibility of getting an Artifact, but much more restricted.

peef wrote:
9. Motivation
Once a round on any player's turn: Flip this token to draw two cards. If you have the least fame (not tied), you may discard a card from your hand (including wound) to draw three cards instead.

Interesting idea, seems quite solid.

peef wrote:
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 3 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Any player may return it to you, face down, to reduce one enemy physical attack by 2 or fire / cold / cold fire attack by 1.
Is that a portable banner of fear that you can carry with you in Dungeons & Tombs? Because that's what it seems like. I'm concerned about that, as 3 Influence seems cheap. I would top it to 4 Influence (or even 6, but I feel 4 is just about right), but it definitely needs playtesting.

Regarding the last part, you can phrase it as "a non-physical attack by 1".

peef wrote:
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 3 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Until the start of your next turn, the next enemy any player fights, gets +1 to its first attack and +1 to it's armor.
See my previous remarks. It's not clear whether it applies to "The first enemy fought by every player" or "The next enemy fought by any one player". And how do you choose which enemy gains that when fighting multiple enemies? First enemy that gets attacked during Ranged Attack? First blocked? First to assign damage? Whatever comes first?

Something in the lines of "All enemies gain ..." would be simpler. Bravaelar already has "All enemies gain +1 Attack during the blocking phase", so you could do something similar (+1 Attack, gain Fire Attack, etc).

peef wrote:
or (1 blue mana):
Reduce first attack of an enemy by 1 (to minimum 0). Block 5. Counts twice against enemy with swiftness.

"Reduce an enemy attack" is enough, no "first" is needed, as you can choose the order. Guess it's fine.

peef wrote:
or (1 red mana):

First of all, I would change the strong effect "for each enemy blocked" like in Counterattack. Yes, Counterattack gives +3, instead of +1, so that's an argument to keep this "per attack", instead of "per enemy". But then, Counterattack is an Advanced Action card, so it's supposed to be better.

What is more, I would keep the original values: Attack 2 / Attack 4, instead of 3/5. It's a basic action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
msg tools
Thanks very much for your comments, Picon. Really appreciate it. I tweaked the skills & action cards based on you suggestions:

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
1. Yrden sign
This is strictly better than Wolfhawk's Taunt skill. It has to be changed. Taunt either {reduces just the Attack by -1} or {increases the Attack by +2 and reduces the armor by -1}.

If you want both to apply, you have to give another penalty to the player, by buffing the enemy otherwise. Off the top of my head, the enemy could gain physical resistance (which is a moot if you have elemental attacks, but makes the skill weak otherwise) or swift, brutal and/or poison. You have to experiment and playtest it.

By the way, from how it's worded, I assume this has no effect on enemies with Arcane Immunity, even the "-1 to its attack". Effects that target the attack state "reduce the attack of an enemy" and not "target an enemy, this enemy gets...". What is more, you can change the text as "during block phase" to remove the "ranged attack phase" clauses. Check Wolfhawk's skill.

How about:
Once a turn during the block phase: Choose one enemy: It gets -1 to it's attack. You can power this skill by paying a mana of any color to reduce the armor of the same enemy by 1.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
2.Ignis sign
Seems fine.

Thanks!

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
3. Heliotrope sign
First of all, I would add to the text "ignore any additional effects of that wound", like Veil of Mist.

Since this is once-per-round, I guess it's okay (compare to Krang's Battle Hardened or Braevalar's Elemental Resistance skills).

Corrected

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
4. Quen sign
Seems... fine I guess? Dunno, I would buff it a bit making it "gain a mana token of any color (including non-basic)".

Agreed, although it might be a bit too powerful now. I will playtest it.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
5. Axii sign
This, I would nerf it a bit: "If used during interaction, you may also flip this to gain one blue or red crystal to your inventory". Once-per-turn skills that gain crystals are too good. They don't exist afaik.

I would leave it as it is, at least until I playtest it. I know it looks too powerful at first glance, but when you think about it... you only get a crystal if you actually use this influence in interaction. So you won't have an extra crystal every turn by doing anything. And how many interactions do you do per round on average? For me it's probably one. I came up with this skill idea, because whenever we play Mage Knight, none of us ever picks up those influence skills. Maybe it's just the way we play, but it always seems more advantageous to take the combat or mana skill instead. Hence I tried to make the influence skill more attractive.
[/q]

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
6. Kaer Morhen training
Seems okay. Essentially it's another move 1 / move 2 skill, but the move 2 skill depends on the space you move on, not the round.

You are right, it is a bit boring. The only reason I came up with this skill is that every other character has a move skill. Maybe I would buff it a bit like that:
Once a turn: Move 1. If you start or end you move on a fortified site or a village, get Move 2 instead.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
7. Elixir making
Reminds me of Arythea's Invocation skill, as once-per-round and a bit more powerful. Seems right.

Thanks. Didn't think about Arythea skill when making up this one, which is strange, as she is my favourite character.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
Interesting idea. For the green enemy it makes sense to give +2 Reputation / +1 Fame, instead of the standard +1 Reputation if it was Rampaging, as you are using up your action for the turn and paying 2 Influence.

As for the Red enemy, I am not sure for the extra Artifact; sure, you pay 4 Influence to do that, but on top of that, you get to use your units, you already gain +1 Fame, compared to a rampaging one. Since it's a single draconum and you get to use your units, I would award one Advanced Action from the offer, instead. One Artifact seems way too good.

Another idea would be to modify the extra bonus of the Red enemy based on where the contract takes place. For instance, you may gain +1 Reputation, +1 Fame (on top of the +2 Rep. / +1 Fame) if in a Village/Keep/Refugee Camp, an Advanced Action if in a Monastery, a Spell if in a Mage Tower, an Artifact if in a City. Thus, there's still the possibility of getting an Artifact, but much more restricted.

Agreed. Initially it was +3 reputation, +2 fame for red one, but my wife said she would never use it then But your idea seems brilliant. Hope it's not too powerful, as I would love to leave it. The only downside is the length of the wording now:
Once a round, when in a village / refugee camp / keep / mage tower / monastery / city as an action you can spend 2 influence to fight a random green enemy token or 4 influence to fight a random red enemy token. If you defeat it, gain +2 reputation, +1 fame if it was green, or if it was red gain: +3 reputation, +2 fame if in a village, keep or refugee camp, an advanced action card from unit offer if in a monastery, a spell if in a mage tower or an artifact if in a city. If you fail to defeat it, discard it without effect.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
9. Motivation

Interesting idea, seems quite solid.

Thanks!

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
Is that a portable banner of fear that you can carry with you in Dungeons & Tombs? Because that's what it seems like. I'm concerned about that, as 3 Influence seems cheap. I would top it to 4 Influence (or even 6, but I feel 4 is just about right), but it definitely needs playtesting.

Regarding the last part, you can phrase it as "a non-physical attack by 1".

Agreed & Corrected:
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 4 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Any player may return it to you, face down, to reduce one enemy physical attack by 2 or non-physical attack by 1.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
See my previous remarks. It's not clear whether it applies to "The first enemy fought by every player" or "The next enemy fought by any one player". And how do you choose which enemy gains that when fighting multiple enemies? First enemy that gets attacked during Ranged Attack? First blocked? First to assign damage? Whatever comes first?

Something in the lines of "All enemies gain ..." would be simpler. Bravaelar already has "All enemies gain +1 Attack during the blocking phase", so you could do something similar (+1 Attack, gain Fire Attack, etc).

Agreed. I didn't know this Bravaelar skill, as I don't have Shades of Tezla. Guess that makes it very similar then. Maybe that would do:
Once a round, before the combat: flip this token and pay 4 influence to cancel one enemy attack this turn. Put this skill token in the center. Until the start of your next turn, all enemies other players fight gain Brutal.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
or (1 blue mana):

"Reduce an enemy attack" is enough, no "first" is needed, as you can choose the order. Guess it's fine.

Agreed, corrected:
Reduce an enemy attack by 1 (to minimum 0). Block 5. Counts twice against enemy with swiftness.

Picon wrote:

peef wrote:
or (1 red mana):

First of all, I would change the strong effect "for each enemy blocked" like in Counterattack. Yes, Counterattack gives +3, instead of +1, so that's an argument to keep this "per attack", instead of "per enemy". But then, Counterattack is an Advanced Action card, so it's supposed to be better.

What is more, I would keep the original values: Attack 2 / Attack 4, instead of 3/5. It's a basic action card.

I missed the Counterattack card. And I thought I came up with a brilliant card idea Well, I guess I will keep it, as I said I want to focus on Witcher's melee combat abilities. I changed it to the original +2/+4 attack values, but I would probably leave the stronger effect as it is. I think it would make sense, as you get rewarded for the number of blocks you actually performed. Sometimes it doesn't matter that you face two attacks of 1 (like with this annoying green dude) - you still have to use two cards to block it. And it's usually only in the last big fights, when you get a chance to block more than two enemies. Don't know, will leave it for playtesting and change it if it proves to be too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.