Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks,

Are there any differences between printings or versions? Either with wordings, rules, component color, compatability with expansions, etc?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Hello folks,

Are there any differences between printings or versions? Either with wordings, rules, component color, compatability with expansions, etc?

Thanks!
Yes. currently there are two versions (one printing of each AFAIK) the first one had thinner counters and V1.0 of the rule and play books.
The second had thicker counters (matching the expansion, the first and so far only printing of which includes the base game counters for those that had the first printing of the base game) V1.1 of the rule and play books, slightly more number and alien counters (a half sheet, not really needed in most games but can be useful on occasion)

The different counters aren't currently all that important. Based on what I've read the thinner ones are still good quality and if you want the expansion then it will currently come with replacements for the base game (otherwise you would be able to tell if a hidden unit came from base game or expansion) Of course future printings of the expansion will probably not include those replacement counters, and I've heard no mention of the second expansion ever including them (and don't see a reason why it should)

The updated rules can be found here on BGG so you can print them for yourself if you want.

The extra counters are, as mentioned, not all that crucial in smaller games, but some people reported not having enough of them during the first printing so it must have been possible to run out.

EDIT: See also this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/781994/differences-between-...
Though all it contains is confirmation that the rules and counters really are the only differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Niko!

If I'm going to buy a used copy or trade for one, are there identifiers I can ask the trader/seller to check for other than the counter thickness, in case their not familiar with the difference?

Thanks! Do the rules have the version number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
eharding wrote:
If I'm going to buy a used copy or trade for one, are there identifiers I can ask the trader/seller to check for other than the counter thickness, in case their not familiar with the difference?

FWIW: Looking at the game's Versions is often a good immediate way to find this info yourself:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84419/space-empires-...

specifically for the 2nd edition:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/168973/gmt-ga...

""Second Printing" is written on the box front besides the GMT Games logo, in the Copyright text."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Thank you Niko!

What Russ said.

Quote:
Thanks! Do the rules have the version number?
Yes, it's on the front cover, lower third, middle of the page, over the GMT logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.