Subject: VoN without actually invading neutral rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
If I read the rules correctly it is acceptable to VoN a neutral to turn it into an armed neutral with no diplomatic affiliation to any great power even if you choose not to or are unable to invade. For example, the Axis might VoN Latin America just to prevent the West or Soviets ever getting access to the resources without actually invading. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems correct, though you'd need to consider the effects of 15.423 Intervention. Whoever intervenes (first to get a ground unit to the target country) gains control and their resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I think that's right if you are at war, in that the enemy of the violator makes it a satellite merely by entering the territory. But prior to war breaking out, it seems to be a way of locking out rivals from gaining influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Interestingly, errata to version 1 state that to VoN a neutral there must be aggression, which means you can only VoN a neighbor, not half way around the world. It appears this did not make it into the second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I'm on vacation right now with no access to my files/notes but cannot recall why this errata (VoN requires Aggression) from 1st Ed would not have been included in 2nd Ed. Maybe just an oversight on my part.

Right off the top I see a definite upside (no gamey long distance VoNs to deprive Rivals of Influence) and no real downside.

Discussion?

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Another upside is that it prevents someone from violating the neutrality of every Minor on the map in a single turn, flooding the hands of their rivals with Action cards from World Reaction. The rivals would lose the majority of these cards to hand limits, and could only use the ones that are left for military action and possibly influencing the USA.

With enough VoNs, the Action deck would be completely used up (and then some). Early in the game, some rivals would be too weak to take full advantage.

Oh yeah, it would cost the serial violator only one (1) Peace Dividend chit.

Dieter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I agree it doesn't make sense. But the errata says look at the "clarifying the violator sidebar" to find text requiring an aggression. The 2ed rules do not have that text. I'm certainly going to play the errata restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2nd ed rules and it clearly states a VoN must be followed up with aggression move into the violated neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Can you give me section number? I swear I can't find it. Must be losing my eyesight (or ability to focus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The online rules have that text for DoW but not DoN...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ahh, that explains it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.