Subject: Glass Road vs Ora and Labora rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to get another Uwe game as we love Agricola. We have played the smaller 2 player version as well. When I was looking through the games, I noticed two: Glass Road vs Ora and Labora

Any people who have played both and how they feel? Both use the wheel mechanism for resources. Some reviewers say Glass Road is a shorten version of Ora and Labora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and love them both, and have only ever played them 2p.

Glass Road is a more concise Rosenberg, but retains the tense decision-making of his other games. The production wheels make for a beautiful balancing act, and the action selection each round is an interesting mechanic that can really tip the course of the game.
Some people don't like it, as often gaining one resource will mean losing it straightaway to create glass or brick, but that's the puzzle! It's very well done.
Each game will feel different, as only a few buildings of the many on offer will be revealed each game.
It's really a perfect game if you're looking for something deep but not too long.

O&L actually feels more interactive to me. Even though the action cards in Glass Road play off your opponent, there is a lot more attention paid to what the other person is doing in O&L. Being able to utilise their workers and buildings is such a large part of the game, for gaining valuable resources or simply to block them from using it.
I would say that a downside of O&L when compared with Glass Road is that, despite there being two game modes to keep things fresh, every building will be played each game, and in 2p the game only ends when the last building (or last but one, I don't recall at the moment) has been bought.
This means that the game sometimes drags on a tiny bit longer after we're ready for it to be over, and we just buy the buildings because we have to.
I enjoy the spatial elements of both games. They're done really well and are a key part of VPs at the end.
The production wheel in O&L doubles as the round marker, so it basically simplifies the production system of Le Havre (except each round, every good will be bumped up). It's a cool way of doing it, but it's not an integrated mechanic to be wielded like it is in Glass Road. It will lead to some agonising decisions, but halfway through the game it becomes a lot less important.

O&L is long and a bit mean, but in a very satisfying way. We don't have Agricola (so I can't compare), but I find it more interesting than Le Havre.
Glass Road is just such a solid game and so perfectly compact that it beats out O&L as my fave by a hair.

In short...
If you want a long, challenging puzzle with a fair amount of interaction, O&L is perfect.
If you want something to satisfy that big game itch in a fraction of the time (while being a bit nicer to each other), go for Glass Road.
Though they are both amazing and you should get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important difference is that Ora et Labora has no randomness; the game can theoretically be played the same every time. It's a big game, but not one where the game itself provides the surprises. In contrast, Glass Road has a building market, and the buildings that become available are drawn randomly from shuffled stacks (or bags, in my case; less work than sorting/shuffling/stacking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.