Subject: 2-player recommendations! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zane Alan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hiya there.

So I was wanting to get my friends a gift; they're a couple, so they're looking for a game that works best/very well with 2-players and they're looking for something that lasts between 2-3 hours (give or take, 1-2 would work to probably). They like boardgames but haven't experienced them too often and don't seem TOO open-minded with themes and whatnot (they've only played Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Love Letter, and a few other games in that same vein. They also mentioned thinking Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective looked fun, but they'll probably get that themselves) and I'm at a loss of what to get them that might fit this criteria. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd. The games you named that you know they like are significantly less than 3 hours. Are you sure they want a 3 hour game? Judging from your description of them, 3 hours sounds like it might be beyond what they might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brighten35 wrote:
...(they've only played Ticket to Ride ...

Would that be Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries version, which is specifically designed for 2 and 3 players ? If that is not so, then you now have a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brighten35 wrote:
they're looking for something that lasts between 2-3 hours

Quote:
They like boardgames but haven't experienced them too often

I am wary that those statements aren't really compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Brighten35 wrote:
they're looking for something that lasts between 2-3 hours

Quote:
They like boardgames but haven't experienced them too often

I am wary that those statements aren't really compatible.

I agree with this wariness. I have a few different types of games to suggest, but I'm going to stay away from the heavy hitters based on their experience.

Head 2 head: Pixel Tactics, Raptor, 7 Wonders Duel

Co-op: Burgle Bros., Defenders of the Realm, Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Scales up well (good for two and good for many): Small World, Jamaica

Heavy hitters: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Caverna: The Cave Farmers

Edit: decided to add a few heavy hitters anyway in case they want somewhere to start. I also realise some of my suggestions are theme-heavy, but they are fun regardless whether you pay attention to the theme or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane Alan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I apologize for the conflicting statements.

I'm just relaying what they told me. They wanted something they could use to sit down and soak up some time/work on focusing/have fun together/etc.

I know that longer games TYPICALLY are of a heavier weight (and that what they're looking for is something not too heavy).

So if possible: the same criteria above but over a little less time?

Thank you for all the suggestions regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brighten35 wrote:
I apologize for the conflicting statements.

I'm just relaying what they told me. They wanted something they could use to sit down and soak up some time/work on focusing/have fun together/etc.

I know that longer games TYPICALLY are of a heavier weight (and that what they're looking for is something not too heavy).

So if possible: the same criteria above but over a little less time?

Thank you for all the suggestions regardless!

You might be looking for a dungeon crawler. I know you've said they're not big on theme, but something like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), DOOM: The Board Game, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, or Mage Knight Board Game may satisfy that itch. These kind of games have intrinsically simple mechanics, but the box has a ton of stuff that provides replayability, and they usually stretch into that 2-3 hour sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Yarnell
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
+1 for Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

If they enjoy Dominion, maybe Trains: Rising Sun

My wife and I love Suburbia. With or without the expansions, it is definitely our top game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other suggestions. Carcassonne is in that same realm of games. Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a good one that my wife and I enjoy. Small World is a good option as well but it can be pretty cutthroat. Isle of Skye is another one we've enjoyed.

7 Wonders: Duel is a great 2 player game, but it is only for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with a lighter game, and they can play best 2 of 3 or total points over however many games they have time for. Or, depending on how much you want to spend, you could get them more than one light game, and they could play several games in 3 hrs, if they like to switch games like that.

Splendor is easy to understand, but fairly hard to play well, 2-4. Vague medieval, gem-collecting theme.

Lost Cities (2 only) or Lost Cities: The Board Game (2-4?). LC is a highly respected 2p game, somewhat old-fashion: you need a scorepad and it plays in a way that makes me think of standard card games; the cards are huge and beautiful. LCtBG looks very different and plays quite a bit differently in some ways; not as strikingly beautiful as LC. In both, you're trying to play a sequence of cards in order to advance your archeological expeditions.

Carcassonne is good (2-5p, 6 with expansion). Base Carc is very simple. You could let them expand it or get Carcassonne Big Box 5 if available. However, Carc is in the middle of changing its artwork. The new artwork is nice, but mixed art is a little confusing. Just because of that, you might want to avoid it. Probably you can get some no-expansion Carc variant that plays much the same, but without the confusing fields; I'm not sure which is in print now.

Alhambra plays 2-6. It's maybe not at its best at 2, but best is considered 3, so it's not too bad. You're building Alhambra (in Spain) out of various types of tiles, with a wall around (some of) your Alhambra. In three scorings you get points for having the most of each of the types of tiles and for the length of your wall.

Stone Age (2-4) is a great little worker placement game. It's considered best at four, and I don't like the way it handles under four--but lots of people don't mind it. You're (pretty abstractly) collecting technologies and building your little stone age civilization, but it has very nice wooden bits, each material--wood, brick, stone, gold--differently shaped and colored. It's just been reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Stone Age (2-4) is a great little worker placement game. It's considered best at four, and I don't like the way it handles under four--but lots of people don't mind it. You're (pretty abstractly) collecting technologies and building your little stone age civilization, but it has very nice wooden bits, each material--wood, brick, stone, gold--differently shaped and colored. It's just been reprinted.

I think Stone Age is a great recommendation (and really like it at 2P). Alternatively, I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep, another very fun worker placement. Plus they are long and involved enough to last a while (though easy to learn and play) and are visually very appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Alternatively, I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep, another very fun worker placement.

I thought the D&D theme might be a negative with LoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pleb compromise
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Suburbia (maybe 30 minutes per person)
+1 Carassonne (an hour or more, depending on how many expansions you add in)

Both scale well from 2-4 players (5 player Suburbia can be a bit of a grind).

+1 7 Wonders Duel (30 minutes, 2 players only)

Magic the Gathering - each game might be only 20 minutes long, but replayability is endless (best of 5 of the best of 5 of the best of 5). Of course, I am an MtG tragic, so feel free to ignore this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy provides alittle more length... is a favourite among couples and is a good next step game after the ones you mentioned they played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Alternatively, I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep, another very fun worker placement.

I thought the D&D theme might be a negative with LoW.

Yeah possibly but it's so lightly pasted on...otherwise I wouldn't play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Splendor (my wife's favorite game we play 2 player)

Santorini (My favorite 2 player)

Edit: both are shorter but we play them 2 times or more whenever we play them. Also, Takenoko comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carol s
msg tools
How about Agricola? My husband and I play it all the time and I much prefer it when its just the 2 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.