GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,571 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Foam core insert with player trays, card dividers and map tiles holder (Standees edition) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm an amateur foam core insert builder - I've made 5 inserts so far and this is only my second one that's custom designed from scratch. Feeling like this is Isaac Childres' magnum opus, I wanted an insert that did it justice. You can find the design files for this insert here: Foam Core Insert w/ Player Trays and Map Tile Holder (Standees Edition)

Here's some stuff to get out of the way:

• There's 17 total trays in this insert (a culmination of over 190 foam core pieces!). It took about a total of 30+ hours of brainstorming, designing the insert and the dividers, cutting, assembling to create.

• A lot of the hours were sunk into figuring out how to add player trays. Without the player trays I would have a lot more space to play with and would have also probably finished a lot sooner. But I knew I had to have these player trays to have everyone set up and running quickly.

• I have the standee version of Gloomhaven, and everything fits back into the original box. Therefore, while this insert definitely won't fit the miniatures boxes, you might be able to take out the active party miniatures and place them in the empty spot on the top tray? Not having any dimensions for them I can't say for sure.

• Also, not knowing how this "legacy" game evolves made it difficult to plan ahead for flexibility. For example, the player trays were built around four of the starter characters as a reference, so if there's a character later on that uses twice the amount of cards or something like that, it'll break this system.

• I couldn't designed this for sleeved cards. I can tell that this game requires a lot of shuffling but the density of sleeved cards would have taken up too much real estate.

So with that said, let's get on with the show:

• The top level of insert.

• The first tray holds the game board, and underneath it holds the rule book, scenario book, town records and standee clips. Since the board and the books are almost the full width of the box, I had to shed a few walls to accommodate.

• The second tray holds the larger cards, which are mainly accessed outside of scenarios. The card dividers separate the active city and road cards, undiscovered ones and the ones removed from the game. The last stack holds the personal goals, completed goals, random dungeon and monster cards, and player reference cards. I went a little out there with some of the names of these dividers but I was trying to keep up the theme.

There's also an empty spot that I oddly couldn't figure out what to put in there so you can try to put in your active party miniatures, or I was thinking of putting in some D20's to track health and experience.

• On the next layer down, we have the player trays, a double and triple hexes tray, summon tokens tray, and the active party standees and character tokens tray.

• Here's a close up on the part of my insert that I'm most proud of. Here we have the abilities cards (divided to access your active hand easier), unused character specific modifiers, and the player's active modifier deck, along with their equipment. I notched out the base of the tray so that you can lift up the cards with ease.

• The next layer acts as a level mid-ground for all of the trays above and below it. It hosts 7 persnickety map tiles that doesn't fit well with the other map tiles at the base of the box. Also in this layer are the stickers, secret envelopes and elemental board.

• Here we have the tokens tray. Underneath the party and character sheet pads, you'll find the status, EXP, and numbers tokens, as well as the HP, EXP and elemental trackers. The larger sections holds the coins and damage tokens.

• Next up is the traps and obstacles tray. The tray has a cutout for the hex tiles from the tray below.

• Here's the mamma jamma tray, as I like to call it. It's mainly a supporting floor that holds the larger regular enemies, the mini card trays, the single hexes and the monster tower. The single hex tiles holder was the best way I could fit them without consuming a lot of space.

• The monster tower holds the monster envelopes and stat cards, and underneath them are the unique boss monsters (and my biggest cheat, the triple rubble tiles).

• The first card tray holds the monster abilities and modifier cards, as well as the battle goal and scenario cards.

• The second card card tray holds the item shop, reserved items, and random item cards, as well as the unique modifier cards.

• The second to last tray holds all the rest of the monsters. I may have made the dividing walls a little too short since some of the smaller monsters get lodged in the gap. But these angled dividing walls are important for getting to each enemy without a lot of "fish-hooking".

• Lastly, the map tiles tray. This requires a bit of Tetris but it's not so bad. They're mostly organized by the size of the map so it should be fairly reproducible. I placed the largest map tile as the third or fourth from the bottom so that I can lift it up and easily pull out most of the map tiles.

• The card dividers only get to show off a few millimeters when they're in use, so here's a little more love to show off the amazing artwork the designers did.

Thanks for taking a look and I hope I've inspired you to make your own insert too!

• [+] Dice rolls
Ben Welch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's amazing work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian O'Keefe
msg tools
Amazing work. Look forward to seeing the details when you release them. Best storage solution I have seen so far.

Even though I have the mini edition I think I will use this and just have 1 extra box for the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanchung wrote:
I'm an amateur foam core insert builder

I think you can officially drop that title today, now you're an enthusiast foam core insert builder

Very nice workmanship, and a very nice finished product.

lanchung wrote:
• ... I haven't even played the game yet. Yes I know, it's crazy to develop something functional without knowing how it plays but I knew I needed to create an insert to be able to wrap my head around even setting it up; to have as little friction as possible to getting it to the table.
... But technically I guess in a way you could say that I have already put 30+ hours into Gloomhaven, right?

This is probably the one area where you tripped up, to my mind. To actually play a scenario, you will need to take nearly everything out of the box! That's not a breaker though; a solution with ideal efficiency would still probably require about an 80% excavation of the box.

eg- I can play without having to remove the unused monster stat & ability cards, random dungeons, items & scenarios, event decks and scenario modifier cards. Most sessions will involve a city and road event and scenario modifier cards though, so there's not all that much in it. I also have the map tiles in a separate accordion folder, which makes it easier to find & replace tiles, but it's no longer a single-box game.

lanchung wrote:
• A lot of the hours were sunk into figuring out how to add player trays. Having to constantly open those player boxes, adding creases to it, having to dump everything out and cram everything back in - it gave me shivers. Without the player trays I would have a lot more space to play with and would have also probably finished a lot sooner. But I knew I had to have these player trays to have everyone set up and running quickly.

I have done much the same as you - nearly the same layout, although in a cardstock envelope (using the mailer template from here, though measured by hand because it's too large to print) Your player boxes are much prettier though, since you get to use the player board as a lid. You make me want to figure out how to redo them with a transparent cover...

Well done, now hurry up and play the game laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
msg tools
That is simply amazing! You did a fantastic job on this insert and it all looks so clean, crisp and professional. Moreso than the Piano boxes and even more than the Meeple Reality one so props to you!

My only question is where did you get the card dividers and how did you make them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lytane wrote:
My only question is where did you get the card dividers and how did you make them?

It looks like they were created using the images from: Files for creation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow! Just a thing of beauty. Beats my sandwich baggie/bead org solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Benncory wrote:
Wow! That's amazing work.

Thank you all for your kind words! I'm really proud of the end result.

Paracetamol wrote:
Amazing work. Look forward to seeing the details when you release them. Best storage solution I have seen so far.

Thanks! I should hopefully have the files ready sometime this week.

MrTroy wrote:
To actually play a scenario, you will need to take nearly everything out of the box!

Yeah I agree it can be a pain but I wanted to maximize the space I could afford, mainly working around the player trays. How did you organize your box?

Lytane wrote:

Troy is correct - I used the creation pack to get those assets, noodled with them in Adobe software, and then went to Staples to print. It was on 12 Point stock paper to give the dividers some heft. I plan on uploading these files soon as well if you'd like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanchung wrote:
MrTroy wrote:
To actually play a scenario, you will need to take nearly everything out of the box!

Yeah I agree it can be a pain but I wanted to maximize the space I could afford, mainly working around the player trays. How did you organize your box?

I've been intending to post my storage as I finally feel like it's complete (if not final... is anything ever?). Trying to organise the house for a new baby arriving in a month seems to be taking up all of my time though! shake

Will let you know when I finally get the post up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is just getting started with foam core trays, I've got a lot to learn before I can come close to something this beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work but too bad it's not made for sleeved cards :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you included a dice just to give Isaac a heart attack. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has just made me disappointed the game didn't come like this. Shame on you Isaac. On the flip side, he can ensure the new KS versions encompass this design

Amazing job OP!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Holland
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Troy is correct - I used the creation pack to get those assets, noodled with them in Adobe software, and then went to Staples to print. It was on 12 Point stock paper to give the dividers some heft. I plan on uploading these files soon as well if you'd like them.

Oh man. You would be my hero if you could upload those! If its easy to do (please dont go out of your way to do it if it's not), would you consider uploading two versions? The one you've got for unsleeved, and one a couple of mm taller for sleeved cards?

Edit: Also, how difficult is it to change orientation, or offer both orientation on each version? I store mine opposite of yours, small cards vertical and big cards horizontal (per the Meeple Realty insert design). I know, I know... now I'm just getting greedy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerr
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wow, amazing work, Colin! You've got more patience than I do, for certain. I went for a much simpler / quicker, but much less elegant solution:

I took about 2 1/2 hours to punch the 18 boards, and unwrap the cards, etc. I have the retail version with the monster standees.

By removing all but 1 of the foam inserts that came with the game, I was able to fit all components into the box using the following:

2 x Plano 18-compartment boxes (9" L x 4-1/2" W x 1-1/2" H)
Box 1 - All the tokens, coins, markers, and the smaller single tiles
Box 2 - All smaller monster standees

1x Plano Large 18-compartment box (11-3/8" L x 7-3/8" W x 1-9/16" H) - All larger monster standees and some of the larger double tile overlays fit here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mb
MrTroy wrote:
I've been intending to post my storage as I finally feel like it's complete (if not final... is anything ever?). Trying to organise the house for a new baby arriving in a month seems to be taking up all of my time though! shake

Will let you know when I finally get the post up.

Congrats on the new baby! I'd love to see your storage solution. Better post it soon because once the baby arrives, you won't have time for much else. ...Seriously.

gertbert wrote:
As someone who is just getting started with foam core trays, I've got a lot to learn before I can come close to something this beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the fun of foam core! It's not as hard as it looks. My first project was for Robinson Crusoe, duplicating this one which I found very intimidating. My third one was duplicating a popular Caverna one, so between the two I learned a lot of the tips and techniques of jamming a lot of stuff into one box. This Reddit post also had a lot of neat tricks that I found very helpful.

Tjolmir wrote:
Nice work but too bad it's not made for sleeved cards

Yeah I really would have loved to sleeve at the very least the ability cards, but I knew I wouldn't have the room. Maybe the next print run will have a bigger box? yuk

rawlinsusmc wrote:
I notice you included a dice just to give Isaac a heart attack. Nice.

Hahaha, I was wondering if anyone was going to point that out. Or people perusing through the post panicking because they think they're missing a die from their copy.

jwhollan wrote:
The one you've got for unsleeved, and one a couple of mm taller for sleeved cards?

Edit: Also, how difficult is it to change orientation, or offer both orientation on each version? I store mine opposite of yours, small cards vertical and big cards horizontal (per the Meeple Realty insert design). I know, I know... now I'm just getting greedy!

I can try to tackle different versions, although four versions sound daunting. I will admit that this is my first time making card dividers; would increasing the scale of the print out by 2-3% cover the millimeter difference for sleeved cards?

neomorder224 wrote:
Wow, amazing work, Colin! You've got more patience than I do, for certain. I went for a much simpler / quicker, but much less elegant solution

Plano boxes would have definitely been a lot easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanchung wrote:
Congrats on the new baby! I'd love to see your storage solution. Better post it soon because once the baby arrives, you won't have time for much else. ...Seriously.

Yeah, this will be #2, so yes I know. Or maybe I don't, and having them both around will be many times worse and not just twice as hectic. Anyway, when I stop posting, you'll know why laugh

My storage solution finally posted to Yet ANOTHER yet another storage thread
One binder, one hardware box, the map, the monster standee spacers and the standee bases all need to come out of the main box, then the scenario book, the relevant map tiles and the player boxes come out of the accordion file for each game. I really don't know if I could make it any more streamlined, but the second box does help. Happily the two boxes do fit nicely together in one space on my shelves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I wasn't going to look at this thread due to solution exhaustion and trying a few things until eventually getting the Meeple Reality insert.

This is an absolutely terrific design for the standees solution. Pretty much on par design-wise with Meeple Reality for the standee option, maybe even better because of how you store the character mats with all the items/decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

For those of you that stuck around for the design files for this insert, it can now be found here: Foam Core Insert w/ Player Trays and Map Tile Holder (Standees Edition)

Feel free to improve on it however you like. If someone has the measurements and box count for the miniature boxes, I can also see if I can tackle placing them in there in lieu of the player trays.

The design files for the card dividers should be done this weekend hopefully, and I'll post back in here when they're done. Thanks for your interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rubén Bermejo
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you very much! This is an awesome design that I'll definitely try, and there are some "blank" spaces that might be used to store the minis. Maybe not all of them but the active characters ones, I guess.

Looking forward to see your card dividers design files too :cool:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-Bit Bastard
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. I like this much better than the Meeple Reality insert. I love the Active player trays. I hope you get it to the table to play soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mb
For those of you are still sticking around, I've added this insert's specific card dividers to the foam core insert file page. If you would like the card dividers for your own custom insert, you can find them here.

jerod_tb wrote:
Well done. I like this much better than the Meeple Reality insert. I love the Active player trays. I hope you get it to the table to play soon.

Thanks for your kind words! I did finally get to play the first scenario last night and it was pretty awesome. I played it solo with two characters at zero difficulty and I made it out of there successfully with a lot of health and about 4 lost cards each. I'm probably doing something wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanchung wrote:
Thanks for your kind words! I did finally get to play the first scenario last night and it was pretty awesome. I played it solo with two characters at zero difficulty and I made it out of there successfully with a lot of health and about 4 lost cards each. I'm probably doing something wrong...

If you played well, that might not be unreasonable for the first scenario on easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow!
I have done quite a few foamcore.. though I`m still far from good. and honestly, I have never done something this big.

BRAVO! this is a masterpiece.. I`m going the lazy route on this one and would go with meeple reality insert.. only down is not alphabet organized for monster tokens... lol

edit wait you called yourself an amateur... man, pretty sure you can call yourself a hardcore / pro foamcore builder

EDIT2 oh wow... I don't find the insert anymore... guess I might have to stick with my current lazy solution.. OR build this :/ if the latest, I`m going to be VERY thankful that you already did the design, imo that is what takes the most
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Skaaning
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings citizens!
I have undertaken the quest of assembling this insert as per these instructions.
However, I have found a couple of omissions and errors.
I hope that anyone who attempts to make this insert reads this, or grave mistakes could be made!
In the 3rd Layer - Monsters & Single Hex Tray, there are no dimensions given for the size of the bottom layer. Do not assume that the width equals all the bottom numbers added together! You will end up 10mm short and will have to start over from scratch, plus glue your hair back on your head (if applicable)
The dimensions for the 3rd Layer are (I am pretty sure, it's 2:41 AM and I am slightly mad at myself) 244mm x 283mm
Also, there is a slight error with Unique Shape Profile 3N. The rightmost height measurement is not supposed to be 22mm, but 34mm. This was just a matter of a recut though.

I will update here if I notice any other discrepancies.

Thank you for the plans by the way! I cannot wait to see it all finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.