Marc Buckingham
msg tools
mb
When different types of enemies are fighting together in fights - ( eg Tentacles and Slashers, Void Spiders and Tredarrans, Tredarrans and Tentacles ) Do you guys bother to explain why there is this team up?

Or is there a reason that I am missing? Everything is drawn to dark stone and they all just want to get it off you? You don't loose all your Darkstone if your entire party gets KO'd in a fight.

I know its my game and I can mod it however I want. But I was wondering if some other players felt the need to justify the some of the "team ups" that occur?

Thought?

ps - i love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the ones that come together on the same card make sense, and I love it when the ones come together where the threat indicates to draw another card.

I think in the case of demons, you don't need much logic. In the case of void, you are probably fine. And there are probably a few others that make sense.

Now what is really cool is if you play it that when there are different forces (like bandits and night terrors) that you spawn the first group in front and the second comes in from behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind even though they are "different" (void, beast, demon, undead etc) they have all been corrupted by the Darkness and are under it's control.

What you believe the Darkness to be is open to your imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Z
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's to say that you didn't walk in on them fighting each other, only for them to temporarily "team up" against a bigger threat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Depends on the match up.

2 groups of intelligent enemies were obviously meeting to form an alliance and you are just in time to stop the unholy union before it starts.

Some groups may have captured and tamed some wild beasts as attack animals (scafford gang and rats/vermin work especially well for that)

some just naturally go together, like the burrower and any tentacle-y enemies

the hardest to rationalize would be 2 groups of non-sapient creatures, especially if they are from different other worlds somehow, but you can argue that there is a nearby unstable portal that just keeps spitting out random critters.

But to actually answer your question, yes we try to explain any pair ups. A lot more fun that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think along the lines of what Eric Z and Troy posted above.
That I wandered into a potential fight, and that my posse is the bigger threat or easier tastier morsel, or has Darkstone they want to rob...
All depends on the enemies we run into.

If we lose they either fight each other or go in different directions, depending on what it is.

I also separated the threat decks into themes, so I grab the theme I'll like to go with when we enter the mines.
(Ex; Undead and demons)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
2 groups that go back to fighting amongst themselves after the heroes are defeated also helps to explain why the heroes survive after they are all rendered unconscious and surrounded by flesh eating monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.