Imperial 2030» Forums » General

Subject: poker chips and public knowledge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use poker chips instead of paper money in your games? If you do: how do you deal with the rule that player money is secret? Do you ignore that rule? Do you hand out pouches for players to keep their chips? How does your choice affect the game's duration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
WilbertK wrote:
Do you use poker chips instead of paper money in your games?

Yes.

Quote:
If you do: how do you deal with the rule that player money is secret?

I don't. All the information is perfectly trackable, so just as with every other game: I leave it open.

Quote:
How does your choice affect the game's duration?

Tough to say as I'd not consider playing the game with closed money, but I suspect slightly faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo
Switzerland
Neuch√Ętel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play with poker chips and I don't play with people that actually keep precisely track of all the money owned by players. So this information remains almost secret. Of course you can guess more or less the amount, but you can't be sure.

I guess it depends on the group you are in and if you like the feeling of the chips under your finger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonzarello wrote:
I don't play with poker chips and I don't play with people that actually keep precisely track of all the money owned by players. So this information remains almost secret. Of course you can guess more or less the amount, but you can't be sure.

I guess it depends on the group you are in and if you like the feeling of the chips under your finger

According to the rules the bank of the nations is public knowledge. Do you find yourself having to count their banks often to see how much is in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
A nation's treasury is public knowledge, but the rules say that a player's money "may" be kept secret.

It doesn't actually demand that is has to be hidden. And how you want to handle it is up to your group to decide (I personally would prefer public information, because it would give players with good memory a benefit, and I hate playing memory games).

If you use poker chips and want to keep them a secret, either use some player screens from other games, use bags, keep them in your hands/pockets ... there are certainly hundreds of possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo
Switzerland
Neuch√Ętel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:

According to the rules the bank of the nations is public knowledge. Do you find yourself having to count their banks often to see how much is in there?

Not really. I have never noticed any "waste of time" due to counting the nations money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the paper money because it looks cool and I also prefer paper money for 'modern' games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.