The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Campaign Game - AP I (Martijn & Alan) Turn 9 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 9! 2 turns for the Romans left, in which they would have to take the Tyropean.. But first rally. Most crucial part was the ram at the Psephinus.. rallying one unit would be great, but with a +2 penalty.. one succeeded! Now it only needed to survive the upcoming firephase..

In the centre, one routing unit failed. But since it was night (+1 penalty), I was happy with the result (no panic)

In the east two more units failed, but didn't rout (or worse). By this time, I couldn't care at all.. all I wanted was the Tyropean!

Next, The Judean still had a few shots (again, I'll put the two firephases together).
First the important shot on my ram.. this time Alan scored a single D. I chose to eliminate the already disrupted unit (yes, points for Alan..) to keep the ram mobile the next movement phase.

On the western Tyropean wall, a regular killed (another) base unit of an escalade. Another unit locked up in a bastion..
In the south a velitae luckily disrupted that annoying cauldron (in the Roman turn, shown here for the sake of simplicity. It was also the only fire attack this turn).

Finally, in the east one shot luckily hit a heavy infantry on the Tyropean wall. Outside the wall, the combined four ram blockers killed 2 heavy infantry. (note that's the reason why those units were not attacked last melee.. Alan wouldn't want to get a B or D allowing my units to escape from his fire..)

On to the Roman movement! Stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martijn,

Very nice AAR with great pix. This game is one of the forgotten gems of the genre. Nice to see it get the attention it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Clay,

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, this game is a gem. From a siege game you would expect not much action, but actually it's constant intense battles.. and then if you think it's a simple wargame, it turns out to be a game where you need to plan plan plan...
Great game!

Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before starting the move & melee, here a part of the conversation between Alan and me about the situation

Quote:
MvR: Hi worthy opponent :-)
AL: Hail and gestures of respect to you as well !
MvR: Long thinking.. many possibilities. Many more impossibilities..
AL: Yes, quite a challenge, isn't it ???
MvR: Thinking rational was a bit like this:
MvR: CC sucks. Well, lack of.. sucks
MvR: Western part of the NC is very big.. one leader there is barely sufficient..
AL: So true.
MvR: Many units are just out of reach of their target(s).
AL: Yup
MvR: But of course, the main issue was the TC.
MvR: Once started as a diversion, it developed into a full fledges assault.
AL: Nice trap that you fell into, eh ???
MvR: Once committed, I think I should do anything to take it.
AL: All or nothing. Agree.
MvR: That means losing VP, but the yields would be great..
AL: Well worth the loss of 50 CVP or so !
MvR: (and saving future VP).
MvR: So no half hearted measures, but kill kill kill.
AL: You seem to like that kind of thinking ... :-D
MvR: You will have 10 reserves on average, half of them good quality.
AL: Yup
MvR: Worst case, 15..
MvR: I can't do anything about that, but I can make you bleed now, so you will need them in much more places then the TC.
AL: Oh my !
MvR: That implies taking some risks, because, as expected, you built a nice defence..
AL: We shall see. It is only as good as the results that come from it ...
MvR: In the TC Ive got limited resources to attack. One place there is a possibility, so that will be my prime objective.
MvR: Problem, I'll need some good dierolls
MvR: That applies for almost all attacks..
MvR: But hey, no guts, no glory..
AL: Chaaaaarrrrge !
MvR: Who Dares Wins..
MvR: Etc.
MvR: Here we go!

So, here's the starting position:

First, in the west Ceriallus moved to a central position to provide command control to as many units as possible. Only a token force, just the required amount for an succesful attack, was left at the Southern fort of the Psephinus. The rest moved away - one cohort moving to the southeast. The ram moved through the now 2 hexes wide breach to the gate fort of the Psephinus. Let's see if we can get that thing down in the remaining time..

One cavalry had moved all the way north to protect the artillery outside the walls. The Judean has the final turn, so the now useless artillery moved out of movement range, with the cavalry providing protection in case Alan would attempt another sortie from Psephinus.
After movement it looked like this:

In the southwest, the cohort that came from Psephinus moved to the zealot that destroyed my escalade. The units on top of that wall were out of CC, but just to avoid another militia creeping next to the bastion in the next Judean movement turn, one unit went 2 hexes to the east to block its progress..

Another unit occupied the fort in the southwest - you don't want to forget that before the AP is over..

The other fort (next to Yafo gate) is untainable, since the Roman needs to set up one hex from the Judean defenders on elevated hexes.. that leaves the fort empty. But with a first move for the Roman you can just grab it right away in turn 1. Around Damascus gate several missile units moved next to the walls or on top of it via an escalade (green circle).

After movement:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then.. the main attack.
On the western side of the Tyropean City, several escalades were put up and men climbed the walls. (green circles).
My thinking was that one commodity that Alan didn't have in abundance was menpower.. so the more I kept him under pressure by either killing units or keeping them busy, the better..

Some of the units tried a bit suicidal attacks (escalade against the Damascas gate for instance). But the many missile units nearby would hopefully neutralize any remaining defenders if melee didn't..

After movement:

Then, in the centre, the best units of 2 legions descended down on the Tyropean city.. here the fate of the first AP would be decided.
(Yes, messy picture, with a lot of movement..). Green circles indicate new escalades put up. Note that an escalade only can carry 2 units.. so it was quite complicated to get all units on/over the walls in time. Luckily one siege tower finally arrived at the wall, so I could move the rest of the units in the final turn.

After movement it looked like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the east missile units encircled the four regulars outside the walls. No melee with possible retreat possibilities here, they would die by their own weapon.. missiles!

Other missile units occupied the walls, while a siege tower moved south to provide better access to the city.

A pack of suicidal cavalry moved south to block Susa Gate, so Alan couldn't use that one for more sorties.

After movement:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to recap:

Before movement:

After movement:

And a closeup of the Tyropean city (after movement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee started well in the Tyropean city, aimed on Ben Yair's position.

Our little talk on the Judean commander:
Quote:
MvR: Yup, Ben Yair gets a lot of attention..
AL: I figured he would. If the die falls just right, he is going to be DEAD. Had to risk it though ...

The first attack annihilated the two zealots guarding the flank of the position.

After advancing into the area, the next attack was against Ben Yair itself, with the help of Titus and Lepidus. A 5 or 6 would probably wipe out his entire defence line here.. but I only rolled a 3, eliminating one regular and ending any possible melees in this area.

In the east of the city an attack only achieved a disrupt on a regular, which retreated south. The other regular remained in place, blocking the stairs from the bastion.. I really wanted that place to keep the frontline straight..

A weak attack on an equally weakly held Damascus gate failed. Would have been great to capture that position, not only for this Assault phase (gate!), but also the next AP (no redoubt).
South of the gate, a flanked regular on the wall was killed (couldn't retreat anywhere).

In the southwestern part of the New City one cohort took care of a zealot that had sortied against the escalade. Another infantry on the wall destroyed the disrupted cauldron.

Finally, the Southern fort of the Psephinus was taken with an automatic kill (those are really the best, always be on the lookout for those. Dies are not to be trusted in this game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh man! what a game..
Nice to add that piece of playfull banter..
Ever so curious how this will work out.
Great AAR!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who would you bet on?

I'm sure you recognize the banter.. that's always the fun of playing with Alan.. strategy talk, trash talk, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judean reserves were being called up. 7 militia and 5 regulars. (yellow stars in the pictures).
The first two militia went to the southwestern part of the Tyropean city. The first one could enter Yafo gate and move next to the bastion again, preventing me from entering the city (again!).

The other 10 units were placed in the centre of the Tyropean city.

Some in the neighbourhood of Ben Yair, the others more in the centre.
Also one rally succeeded (eastern part, green circle - next to a leader)

Finally in the safety of the mighty Temple, all rallies failed.. One leader failed to see to the light while a panicking militia died of sheer fright (not sure what happens.. a few 100 guys dying out of fear? Probably more like disbanding and going home to have a nice meal and a warm bath).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romans started with ramming the Psephinus gate, to good effect: 3 damage. Only 2 to go.

Next, two foederati even disrupted a militia on the wall. The 'big' attack (big for night, that is) against Damascus failed. The final one here, against Ben Yair, only disrupted the regular. A pity, a disrupted Ben Yair would really have upset Alan's plans.

In the east, a unit on the wall disrupted a regular (another unusable unit for the counter attack), while 2 others missed.
Outside the walls, the gathered missile units executed the four brave/foolish regulars with automatic kills.

During the Judean fire phase the defenders of the Psephinus had only two attempts more to take out the ram pounding the place into rubble.. and they blew the first one..

Two shots on the wall of the Tyropean, one with a real good chance of success failed. Not sure why Alan didn't target the units outside the Damascus gate, perhaps he wanted to neutralize as many units inside the city as possible..

Finally, Alan managed to hit something.. Even when you're in the midst of a deathstruggle, you still feel sorry for your opponent when he only rolls low figures.. He was entitled to a six. The other shot missed though (and I'm also glad about that )

Finally, the brave cavalry outside the gate was stoned/arrowed/oiled to death. But hey, they served their purpose by holding the front door of the city closed, didn't they? Or did I forget a backdoor somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before joining battle in the Psephinus, there was a small shift in units of the Psephinus complex..
Quote:
Alan: Time to move ! ben Lipka gets out of trouble ... And sends in some Heroes to take his place.

Ben Levi moved to the fort in the northwest, while a militia took his place in the almost collapsing gate..:

Next, a garrison unit from Herod's palace moved next to the fort in the south to attack it. A militia out of CC moved on the wall but couldn't move closer (finally a chance for me to get into the city there!) Another militia moved on the wall to the west to keep the unit on the wall away from the fort. Two other militia moved north to block the bastion directly south of the Damascus gate. Since Titus was the source of CC (in the northeast of the city), they cut that CC, preventing me from using the units in the bastion.. and protecting the fort (again)- there is a unit south of it, preventing out of CC units from moving there..

Then the big move in the Tyropean city began, with all regulars, militia and of course Ben Yair entering the fray. Here the outcome of the AP will be decided!

After movement:

And then Ben Gurion and a regular, who had been at the bastion gate directly north of the Antonia Fortress went on a special (suicide) mission..

Remember how I had sacrificed my cavalry to keep those annoying units inside the city and allow my ram to create an opening in the outer temple wall? How I closed the front door by spending 9 VP?

Before moving:
Quote:
AL: Oh my ... going out on a limb here ! And finally, having sacrificed those Regulars to block the Ram, we complete the mission by doing this ...
MR: ohoh

Ben Gurion moves south atop the Antonia Fortress, towards the Temple.. and beyond
Quote:
MR: NONONONO!!!

I had closed the front door, but left the bloody backdoor open!!!shake
Thought there was no-one that had enough movement to get their (all Garrisons being locked up in their areas...), so easy to overlook 2 units far away. A really great, game changing move of Alan!

And so ends the movement.. Big battle coming up..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The start of the Judean melee phase saw the Romans having 12 Built ups in their possession. If I could only hold on to most of them, I would have a nice starting point for the last turn.. Let's see what Alan has in store for me.

But first two attacks in the southwestern area of the New City. When you think you are safe in a fort.. well, you're not. One velitae died in melee there. On the western wall of the Tyropean city, another velitae held firm.

His brother north, near the Damascus gate was not so Lucky.. another 6 killed him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, main stage!
The first attack mostly failed.. but of course one generated a B against a lone heavy infantry, which retreated to his fellow soldiers down the wall. The Judeans advanced in the gap the unit left.

The next attack was initiated by the advancing Judean, helped by his buddies to the east. This generated another 'back'. Since there were 2 units in this hex, I chose to disrupt one (the velitae) and retreat him north. The hex wasn't completely vacated, so the attack ground to a halt here.

The next attack yielded a back, again.. Here the unclarity of the retreat rules caused a bit of discussion.. should the way to refuge be inside the city (because that's closest to the board edge? Or must the unit take a detour along the route he came here and then to the map edge? We settled on the unit going southeast in this case. Which generates the next rules question: can a disrupted, fleeing unit occupy Built up hexes? Looks strange, but if I can win the game with that devil
Since the hex was again not vacated, the attack stopped here.

Now Ben Yair took the lead in the attack, disrupting a heavy infantry to the west. Here the same rules discussion popped up, with the same outcome (unit retreats southeast).

After advance, the units attack the Roman unit in line, this time an unfortunate velitae. See how both Lepidus and Titus are in the front row of the spectacle, unable to help their units.

The next unit was killed as well by Ben Yair doing a merry-go-round (see how the two regulars circle his hex and kill around it with his help) And again, the regulars advance

The next attack almost failed.. it generated a mere Back. Notice that when I had moved my velitae to this position earlier, I could have disrupted (=killed) him, which would have stopped the whole attack of Ben Yair here..

Next, the two infrantry in clear terrain were attacked. "I need a bit of luck here", said Alan. But this time no high rolls.. just a 2, that gave me the choice of pulling both units back or disrupt one and end his melee. Advantage of a back would be that Ben Yair could be stuck in clear terrain with many archers nearby.. On the other hand, if he had a string of sixes again.. he could wipe out everything within the Tyropean city. So I opted for a conservative approach and ended the melee here. The next fire phase would be terrible though.

After the fighting died down, the situation looked like this:

With a fire phase coming up, things looks bleak for the Romans, don't they? Only 7 Built ups left.. Or can they reverse the fortunes in the last turn? Despite the big attack, only two units were killed. And does the Judean have enough units left to defend the city in the coming onslaught? How much reserves will pop up?

Hang on for the final turn in AP1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.