King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got all the answers right (and it's a GREAT case), but we ended up confused by putting the pieces together because of one reason:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The spanish criminal was in the asylum as John Smith before the early-early friday murder in the asylum according to Holmes in the end. Yet WHY did the newspaper of friday of 10th say in secret message for the spanish criminal that they are on his track and he should contact the doctor in the asylum. Who wrote the coded messages then? And told him to go to where he actually already was for a while already the day before? It threw us off track and made us think spanish guy was not actually in the hospital - so we ended up confirming other leads for too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Go back and check the dates of the case, and of the newspapers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Go back and check the dates of the case, and of the newspapers

Ah, correct! We got misled by the name of the day and did not pay attention to the date.

But! There are other issues that seem confusing taking this into account.

If Liopis escaped and his stuff was left behind, how did he figure out the message that told him to go to that new hideout? This was published in a paper that wasn't out there by the time the murder happened.

I guess that there are ways that one could answer this though, no matter how unlikely. But still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb

Hmmm...a few ideas:
1) He hadn't a second device
2) He had some basic crytography skills (I barely used the wheel)
3) The game authors fed up

This overlooks an even bigger plot hole, one that bugged me as I was solving the case: Why did he leave all his papers behind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he left stuff behind because he escaped from being killed by the guys who broke in. I don't remember well anymore, but it's likely Imhoff even betrayed him.

Gosh I love this game series. It feels like a real case and sticks with you for days. We have been playing it with 3 and its a blast and we have been discussing the case on FB messenger even after we've scored our result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This remains unclear about case #7:

Why is the whole FORTUNE of stuff Liopis stole still in the room? Why didn't anyone take it away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Slashdoctor wrote:
This remains unclear about case #7:

Why is the whole FORTUNE of stuff Liopis stole still in the room? Why didn't anyone take it away?

I think that question was answered in "The Adventure of the Narrative Convenience".

It's hard for me to get mad at this game for these minor plot holes or logical lapses, considering how absurd the source material could be. No knock against Doyle. We have the benefit of 120+ years of picking apart plot and genera conventions that he more-or-less invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions for this case as well. Hope somebody can explain or point out where I am wrong
1/ If Dumont and his mother can't read, then why do they have a newspaper at home . And: even when it was a 'free' door-to-door paper, why would your go through it if you can't read?

2/ How could Piolis and/or his gang know that Dumont was going to Holmes? How did they know Dumont had discovered Piolis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.