Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

I'm coming here for knowledgeable advice regarding the effects of ship battle in the age of sail. I'm an original SoG Kickstarter backer and have been interested in the subject for some time. So while the subject isn't new to me, there's still a LOT I don't know. I apologize for taking this conversation away from 'Sails of Glory', but this is the best group of Age of Sail gaming experts that I can think of, hence the reason I'm asking this question here...

This question is for those who are familiar with a recent Kickstarter game, called: British Vs Pirates: Volume 1

In that game's forum, I posted this thread: Does the combat system break the theme beyond repair?

Given my interest in the theme (and I assume many of you may find it interesting as well), I'd really like to buy the game. But as my thread over there hopefully illustrates, I'm having a tough time getting past the combat system which that game uses. Though it's a great system, and I'm certainly not out to bash it in its own right, I'm thinking it's not a good fit for age of sail battles. I'm hoping my concerns are due to total ignorance, which again is why I'm here!

In a nutshell, I'd like to learn more about a certain portion of that game's combat system - primarily the way it defends the ships. The system requires the attacker to break down what I can only describe as "shields", before the ship itself will take any damage. I describe a little more about how it works, in that thread. At least this is what I concluded from a few videos I watched. I reserve the right to be wrong!

Hopefully one of you may be able to shed some light on how "fitting" that system is, to the theme? Are my concerns off base? Does that system actually do a reasonable (or even abstract) job of portraying how a ship takes damage during a battle?

Thanks!

(And if it turns out that my concerns are unfounded, then I hope this thread exposes 'British vs Pirates' to more people, so that it sells more copies). And again, I apologize for hijacking 'Sails of Glory' forum space to discuss another game, but I go where the answers are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...not really addressing the hit item...but if I understand the game correctly, you roll a die to see who goes first? In SoG you plot your moves. Also, in SoG there are, it seems to me, a lot of subtler differences in movement, ability to take damage, speed, maneuverability, etc. than in BvP. The game looks ok, and I like the theme...but seriously, a pirate ship would never purposely take on a British warship arrrh So, get SoG...they're supposed to come out (eventually) with merchantmen, and I would expect, Pirates as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Mayor Jim,

Though, I already have SoG... I was a SoG KS backer and have 23 ships by now. I love the game and look forward to adding everything you mentioned. I apologize for not making that info clearer.

Thusly my question isn't about comparing the two games... I have a good handle on that aspect and am happy having both games in my collection (each scratches a different itch). But I'm wary of one of the mechanics in the other game, which I describe in my OP, and so came here to solicit additional informed opinions before I pull the trigger on that other game. I posted the same question in that game's forum, of course, and have received a few replies that it all works very well. So I just wanted to expand the response pool!

Thx!

And oh, BTW...
MayorJim wrote:
...but seriously, a pirate ship would never purposely take on a British warship arrrh

It appears that you haven't watched 'Black Sails'! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375692/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jim meant to say was, "In REALITY, a pirate ship would never try to take on a British warship."

Think of Pirates as businessmen, with every crewmember a shareholder, and every crewmember's life on the line for every "business deal."

They went where the easy pickings were. Always.

The favored the fastest ships available-- not in order to catch merchantment (which were never fast) but in order to run away from anything they didn't want to fight...which was anything that COULD fight reasonably well... and did not have a hold full of goods to take after winning the battle.

Oh, and 'removing shields before damage' sure sounds like a space game, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, agreed 100%, but still, 'Black Sails' is an awesome production if you're into the Pirate theme! The battle and water scenes for this season's premier was, IMHO, movie production quality.

kduke wrote:
Oh, and 'removing shields before damage' sure sounds like a space game, doesn't it?

And, my point exactly. Which is why I was hoping someone here would be familiar with that game's mechanics - enough to either confirm my apprehension, or dismiss it (which is what I'd prefer, actually)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked that game out briefly and decided it wasn't for me either. I'm not a big historical accuracy guy or anything either; I like pirates a lot and that's what got me into Sails of Glory (despite the lack of pirates .)

I think you're right in passing on this one; nothing wrong with finding out that a game isn't for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin...thanks for clarifying for me. Yes, you got my gist exactly.

Barry...I've seen some, not all, of the Black Sails series. Its pretty good...for a movie but not truly accurate for depicting real pirates IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.