Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm Bolton born and bred and the canals on the map are incorrect. There is no direct waterway between Bury and Manchester. There is or rather was a Bolton and Bury Canal and it had a spur about halfway along it that lead down a flight of locks and onto Manchester.
This may seem like nit-picking to some but there was some monumental work done on that canal in order to overcome some difficult terrain and I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
I'm Bolton born and bred and the canals on the map are incorrect. There is no direct waterway between Bury and Manchester. There is or rather was a Bolton and Bury Canal and it had a spur about halfway along it that lead down a flight of locks and onto Manchester.
This may seem like nit-picking to some but there was some monumental work done on that canal in order to overcome some difficult terrain and I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

I may be wrong, but Wikipedia seems to disagree with you:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Bolton_%26_Bury_C...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
... I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

as pointed out in 1st reply Martin Wallace does do his homework....

... however this is just a "game" and not being marketed as some kind of historically accurate game. There are tons of games who have some form of geographic map on the game board which are not geographically accurate... Ticket to Ride, several of the Power Grid maps, and so on. You are in the wrong hobby if you are easily insulted by a board game... imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
Dave P wrote:

I may be wrong, but Wikipedia seems to disagree with you:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Bolton_%26_Bury_C...

No it doesn't. Take a look at the map on that article and you'll find that Bolton and Bury do not have separate canals to Manchester. The place where the Bolton and Bury stretch joins the Manchester leg is 10 minutes walk from where I grew up, I spent a huge part of my childhood playing on that disused canal, I've lived in the locality for over 50 years and still do. I know that part of the canal system like the back of my hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Dave P wrote:
... I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

as pointed out in 1st reply Martin Wallace does do his homework

As pointed out above, he's not done his homework on this occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Dave P wrote:

as pointed out in 1st reply Martin Wallace does do his homework

As pointed out above, he's not done his homework on this occasion.

So you're picking holes in a game design over a decade ago.. what are you hoping to achieve? Martin did do his homework, then he designed a game based on that knowledge. Your life is not negatively affected from a canal being invented in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denizen of the Island of Doctor Morose
United Kingdom
Carnforth
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Dave P wrote:

A minor issue given that given that Warrington is wehere Widnes should be; north Cheshire has been subsumed into Ceremonial Lancashire; the two player board has the Lancaster Canal going through the Lake District, Solway Firth and the Southern Highlands before fetching up in Glasgow (some 150 miles by road). The map is inaccurate but there again the game works. The game is an abstraction, not a historical simulation. As a Mancunian and history teacher I am sure Martin Wallace knew all this, having done his homework, before it all went to press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Nob end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Nob end.
Want the thread to be locked? I'll give you a tip. Best not breach the rules and instead reserve some comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Nob end.
Want the thread to be locked? I'll give you a tip. Best not breach the rules and instead reserve some comments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nob_End

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Nob end.

Where do you think I got Lock, Breach, Reserve and Tip from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Nob end.

Where do you think I got Lock, Breach, Reserve and Tip from?

I assumed you just barged in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game shows emplacement for available spot where canals can be built.
It does not exist until it is actually built by someone.

I have seen many game in which, as in real life apparently, it was not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:

When you start the game, there are no canals. Only connections on which you may build canals. If there is an additional connection, on which historically there was no canal, just see this as an opportunity in which you may deviate from reality. No ill intent and no need to be insulted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Notlob then?

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Nob end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
How about Notlob then?

Is that a pun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
[q="Dave P"]... I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

WHAT!??!? London didn't use Tiddlywinks as currency? And the canals got all destroyed just before rail age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tequila_j wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
[q="Dave P"]... I think it's somewhat insulting that the designer of this game couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

WHAT!??!? London didn't use Tiddlywinks as currency? And the canals got all destroyed just before rail age?

Thematically, the canals aren't destroyed in Brass. They've just reached capacity by the second era, so you need to move over to rails. It's actually pretty much historically accurate in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
tequila_j wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Thematically, the canals aren't destroyed in Brass. They've just reached capacity by the second era, so you need to move over to rails. It's actually pretty much historically accurate in that respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
pdcarlson wrote:
How about Notlob then?

Is that a pun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I guess it's not really that important. Also leaves the way open for someone to design a more accurate depiction of Lancashire during the industrial revolution too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The canals on the board don't represent where each and every real canal was built, just like the industry spaces don't represent where each and every industry was built. Think of it like we are "resetting" history, and, within the confines of a balanced game, players build things as they see fit.

A direct historical simulation wouldn't even be a game, it would be an activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Dave P wrote:
Also leaves the way open for someone to design a more accurate depiction of Lancashire during the industrial revolution too.

A Nob End expansion, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's not really that important. Also leaves the way open for someone to design a more accurate depiction of Lancashire during the industrial revolution too.
Certainly an underrepresented theme and obviously with enthusiastic fans. (no sarcasm intended)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Also leaves the way open for someone to design a more accurate depiction of Lancashire during the industrial revolution too.

A Nob End expansion, anyone?

Oh please stop it, you're cracking me up. It brings back memories of the first time I heard that place name used in jest 50 years ago.

BTW. The pub close by was called the Nob Inn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.