Imperial 2030» Forums » Rules

Subject: Friendly armies: when can you decide to combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have a friendly army in another nation's province, and that nation decides to move a tank into the province where my tank is. Let's say my opponent doesn't wish to fight. Do I now have the option of fighting? Or does my tank have to stay friendly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you now have the opportunity to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
If so does that mean i also have the opportunity to fight if my opponent produces a tank in the province where my tank is, or if he places an imported tank there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Not as a reaction to that nation's import or production action, as battles can only happen during a maneuver action.

But if the nation's turn comes around again, its controller may choose the maneuver action, and use it to attack the newly deployed units.

The rules are unclear on whether your remaining armies automatically turn "unfriendly" after the battle, as strictly following the rules, they may only decide their state when entering a region.

I would house rule that each army can be turned un-friendly again during a maneuver action, even if they don't perform a movement.

EDIT: Actually, it's officially stated thus in the German version of the rules on p. 10. For some reason this has been omitted in the English translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoTiger wrote:
I would house rule that each army can be turned un-friendly again during a maneuver action, even if they don't perform a movement.

EDIT: Actually, it's officially stated thus in the German version of the rules on p. 10. For some reason this has been omitted in the English translation.

The English rules for original Imperial also have this ruling, so I figure you're right. Thanks.

I didn't realize this game's designer was German. Was this game first published in German? (I'm gonna download the German rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already some threads discussing this question. I just quoted my answer from one of these threads.

thyl wrote:

Rules should be read like that: If a player chooses Maneuver, he could activate any fleet he has. This decision is done individually for every fleet. An activated fleet could either move one space or stay in place. Afterwards if the fleet is in the same region with a fleet from another nation the active player decides if his fleet will fight or be peaceful. If he decides to be peaceful, all the other countries with a fleet in that region could decide to fight or be peaceful, too. A fleet that was not activated will never fight. The passive nations do not have the chance to fight such a fleet.

After fleet movement the same process is repeated with armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
WilbertK wrote:
The English rules for original Imperial also have this ruling, so I figure you're right. Thanks.

Peculiar, as both the English pdf rules from boardgamegeek as well as the English printed rules in my German copy (it's a multilingual print) are missing that one paragraph.

Quote:
I didn't realize this game's designer was German. Was this game first published in German? (I'm gonna download the German rules.)

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Gerdts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoTiger wrote:
Peculiar, as both the English pdf rules from boardgamegeek as well as the English printed rules in my German copy (it's a multilingual print) are missing that one paragraph.

In case that's the problem: I meant the rules for original Imperial, not Imperial 2030.

These rules can be found here:
http://riograndegames.com/Game/115-Imperial

And on page 10 it says:
Quote:
During the next maneuver turn of the nation, the status of the armies can be changed, even without moving them into another province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.