Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Youngblood
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hey BGG! For those of you who may be having a hard time finishing that game you're working on, I wrote an article on follow-through with some strategies I've developed to keep myself on track when working on big projects. These have been developed over the last 2.5 years while working on my first board game.

You can find the article here: https://medium.com/@efyoungblood/on-follow-through-6-strateg....

This article is only tangentially related to the design of board games, so apologies if this is the wrong forum to be posting this kind of thing in. I'm happy to move it elsewhere if needed.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, it's a good read with some very simple and useable suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy 6 is best strategy.

Only one I take (sleight) issue with is #5. Sometimes it is good to step away from a project for a bit. You can come back with fresh eyes. And, it's not like you can or should work 13 hours a day on your project. Breaks - even just a break, and not going out for dinner - are important too.

I think a good strategy to add is to never leave the project without any idea of a direction. If you are almost done with a task, but it is close to "quitting" time, consider not finishing that task until you start the next session. Or, if you do finish, take a few moments to plan out what your next task will be. The worst thing is sitting down to a project after being away, and not remembering what the hell you were doing or what you should do now. This is more important in my opinion than the big picture planning you may do in trello or jenkins. (which is definitely important) Never allow yourself to be unclear about "what's next?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Youngblood
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Thanks for sharing, it's a good read with some very simple and useable suggestions.

Of course! Thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Youngblood
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
saluk wrote:
Only one I take (sleight) issue with is #5. Sometimes it is good to step away from a project for a bit. You can come back with fresh eyes. And, it's not like you can or should work 13 hours a day on your project. Breaks - even just a break, and not going out for dinner - are important too.

I don't disagree. I think taking a break is fine as long as that time fits into your overall project planning. When I need a break, I'll set a timer for 45mins or an hour and play some Zelda for example.

I think the issue becomes when you start telling yourself, "I know I should do this thing, but I've been working really hard and I feel like I deserve to not have to do this." In my mind, it's the same kind of mentality that causes people to "cheat" on diets.

saluk wrote:
I think a good strategy to add is to never leave the project without any idea of a direction.

I agree with that idea for sure. Keeping up that momentum is really important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.