Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Research for Game Economy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
- -
msg tools
Hi everyone, I've been a member for a long time but this is my first time posting.

I'm currently studying games design at university and though it's generally geared towards computer/console games I decided to create a board game for my creative project.

Anyway, I want to create a game that mixes adventure elements with economic elements. Though I have experience with adventure style games. Such as Eldritch Horror, Castle Ravenloft, Decent ect. I don't have much experience with games that focus on economic mechanics. So I'm looking for games that have ecenomic aspects so I can see how other designers have dealt with the issues like supply and demand, batering, debt, inflation ect. I'm looking for anything and everything at this point.

I'm specifically looking for games that have trading between players or are there any games that try to simulate running a business? Also, the players are competing to make the most money, not actually drive each other out of business like in Monopoly.

If the project is successful I hope to at least sell it on the Game Crafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame

Expand Category and Mechanic

Have fun exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First one I can think of is Ground Floor.

Others: Power Grid, Arkwright, Food Chain Magnate (featuring Splotter's notorious exploding economy), or any 18xx game (1830: Railways & Robber Barons is the most famous, but if you can find Poseidon, that is a good starting point for the 18xx family).

Less of business sims but more of good games in the economic game space: Acquire (although I hear Sackson's Executive Decision is a better business sim), Brass: Lancashire, Age of Industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For trading you may look at

Civilization or Catan, although it is an exchange of cards.

The best implementation of economic principles I have seen so far is in the Crude: The Oil Game. Other games fail miserably in that, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chien
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great game with a market-based economic system is Planet Steam. If you are interested in creating a supply and demand mechanic for your game, you should definitely check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at Container

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. My local board game club has a copy of Power Grid in it's collection. I guess for the others I'll have to see if I can get a game on Table Top Simulator going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex s
United States
LaCrosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually apart from the bartering between players aspect I'd recommend Merkator. It is available fairly cheap on Amazon, and has interesting aspects of how to make economics function in a game. It details the 30 years war, and Rahdo has a really good run through of it on youtube.

Another interesting game that does involve some aspects of barter is Sheriff of Nottingham. It is fairly popular, easy to find, and easy to find reviews and run throughs for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Monts

Louisiana
msg tools
Chinatown is our groups go to economy game. Building, trading, making deals, it's a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.