8 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game Carryover Question (Rule 19-Box 2 Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick G.
msg tools
Hey All,

Just a quick question about game carryover regarding colonies to make sure that my friends and I are interpreting and playing this correctly.

What we know (listed because if this is wrong, we would like to be corrected!):

1) At the end of a game, all colonies become inactive (need to be reactivated in subsequent Winter phase)

2) At the end of a game, all colonies lose all of their structures (as is normal with ships and provinces)

What we aren't sure about:

3) If there are goods left in a colony's warehouse, do they remain in the colony warehouse until it is reactivated or are they lost and gone forever?

In our most recent game, Blue had 4 resources in its colony's warehouse and was a turn away from picking everything up before the game ended. We initially agreed to not destroy the goods as we reasoned that a colony functioned similarly to a ship (if we are wrong that a ship does not lose all resources in its hold at the conclusion of a game, please let us know!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but ships and colonies do lose all their resources. Almost bothing carries over, just 1 advisor, colonies and a few other things to be unlocked later. If it isn't the aforementioned or literally stickered or drawn on, it does not carryover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
msg tools
Quote:
Sorry but ships and colonies do lose all their resources.

Well that changes things immensely.

Quote:
If it isn't the aforementioned or literally stickered or drawn on, it does not carryover.

So have we been playing it entirely wrong by also carrying over gold and resources located in the provinces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Resources and gold aren't carried over from anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SeaFall Rule Book, Page 21, Game Carryover wrote:
Some elements of one game carry over into future games. Although mentioned in various parts of the rulebook, here are the starting game parts that continue from game to game.

Islands
The explored sites on an island are permanent.

Permanent enmity Stickers
Remain on islands and provinces.

Ship Values
One is improved at the end of each game.

Advisors
Each province keeps up to one.

Research Cards
Each province keeps unused research cards.

Title Cards
Players always have exactly one title.

Players should store their title card, enmity tokens, glory marker, kept advisor, research cards, and any other kept cards in their province chest before returning it to the game box. Return all other cards, tokens, and pieces to the game box.

Emphasis mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, the rules fail to mention that Colony cards are kept between games - you have to extrapolate that from the naming and mention of starting games inactive. But yes, the rules are at least generally informative and correct on the starting components and it does explicitly say to return anything except the listed things.

That said, maybe keeping goods and gold would be a way to improve on the "the game finished unexpectedly and all my work needed one more turn to pay out, so my game was wasted and I got a terrible score" that's a frequent issue? The "last moment cash-out" variant rule others have suggested on here is probably better for that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
That said, maybe keeping goods and gold would be a way to improve on the "the game finished unexpectedly and all my work needed one more turn to pay out, so my game was wasted and I got a terrible score" that's a frequent issue? The "last moment cash-out" variant rule others have suggested on here is probably better for that though.

I anticipate if keeping goods and gold from game to game were a thing, people would intentionally stockpile at the end of games in order to have massive amounts at the start of the next game. Probably better to go with the "last-moment cash out" variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.