Subject: So what should be the next Birth of Europe game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of folks had ideas on the Kickstarter page, but ideas tend to get lost over there. So let's try it on BGG, where we can be more organized.

What would you like to see next in the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
"518: Justinian - The Last Roman" would cover the reconquest of the western half of the historical Roman Empire in Europe and North Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1700: the great northern war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Second Punic War!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walmer
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The war of the roses; the Scottish war of independence; the Punic wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tuttlebee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
War of the Roses would be great.

Boudicca's revolt against the Romans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bethancourt
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game about "Reconquista" would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david trenkwitz
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
Here some of my favorties:
1.) The 30 Years War of course!
2.) 1453-The Fall of Constantinopolis
3.) The Ottoman Empire during the times of Suleimann the Magnificent, or the Sieges of Vienna 1529 / 1683
4.)War of the Spanish Succession
5.)The war of 1866
6.)The Crimean War
I really would prefer a not to often played topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bethancourt
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2.) 1453-The Fall of Constantinopolis

This one would be really interesting !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's everyone's feeling on a Crusades-based game in this series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about Freedom: The Underground Railroad in the Birth of America series, it would be nice to see this type of non-war themed cooperative game. I was thinking that the unification of Italy could work, with the push and pull between Fance and Austria in the North through treaties, aggression and ceding land. As well as the eventual convincing of the south to join with you, not to mention the northern principalities. Another idea would be the French Rev. king vs revolutionaries in a more political game centered on Paris and Versailles with rioting, soldiers losing moral etc lastly perhaps on the wars of Julius Caesar into Western Europe, while trying to simultaneously keep control of Rome? Three players: celts, ceasar, Usurpers in Rome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
What's everyone's feeling on a Crusades-based game in this series?

Personally, I think the idea of a focus on Mehmet or sulieman would be more interesting, or perhaps the fall of the Byzantine Empire, which would have a crusades element, but bad for Byzantium. And some interesting tensions between ottomans and Greek-speakers. Can you stop the fall of Constantinople?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas!

What I find most interesting is how different this list of games is from what games are already published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1618-1648: The 30 Years War
1223-1241: Mongol Invasion of Europe

Those would be my favourites. I also always like Ancient settings... but Rome and Greece are quite well-covered in games already, and moving towards the cradle of civilization, the middle-east, would not fit with the "of Europe" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, or something over a larger timespan covering early British history - themewise, like Britannia did (or part of that period).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Beleg_Cuthalion wrote:
The war of the roses; the Scottish war of independence; the Punic wars

One of my favorite block games, HotS, has a cool mechanism where the victory points are nobles that switch sides during the game. The players can gain nobles in battle or during a "wintering" non-combat phase. This gives the game a neat twist without adding a ton of rules.

Gaining territory is important but it's not the primary goal of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
betancor wrote:
A game about "Reconquista" would be fun.

I like this idea.

Or the swath of the Umayyad leading up to the Battle of Tours

Or... Mongols and Mamluks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
1223-1241: Mongol Invasion of Europe

I'd be down for this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ldayjones wrote:
Thinking about Freedom: The Underground Railroad in the Birth of America series, it would be nice to see this type of non-war themed cooperative game. I was thinking that the unification of Italy could work, with the push and pull between Fance and Austria in the North through treaties, aggression and ceding land. As well as the eventual convincing of the south to join with you, not to mention the northern principalities. Another idea would be the French Rev. king vs revolutionaries in a more political game centered on Paris and Versailles with rioting, soldiers losing moral etc lastly perhaps on the wars of Julius Caesar into Western Europe, while trying to simultaneously keep control of Rome? Three players: celts, ceasar, Usurpers in Rome?
But Freedom isn't in the BoA series. I think I recall that it sort of was a few years back, but they clarified / decided that it wasn't at all?

So really.. what IS the Birth of America series? What would qualify to be part of it? And therefore presumably also any other "Birth of" series following in its footsteps. To me it's the card play system we've seen in 3.5 games now, and so a coop game wouldn't be possible. Well... not without somehow using that system against a suitable AI..???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the series on England continue first, bringing events up through 1066.

To my knowledge, only one game has focused on the events of 1066 at the strategic level, and that was an issue game in "Strategy & Tactics" some years ago.

Given the multiple factions--Harold Godwinson, Harald Hardraada, William, the Welsh, the Irish, the Scots--it seems a perfect setting for this system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
I'd like to see the series on England continue first, bringing events up through 1066.

To my knowledge, only one game has focused on the events of 1066 at the strategic level, and that was an issue game in "Strategy & Tactics" some years ago.

Given the multiple factions--Harold Godwinson, Harald Hardraada, William, the Welsh, the Irish, the Scots--it seems a perfect setting for this system.
I grew up in Battle / Hastings, however my knowledge of 1066 are pretty shabby... But from what I understand...

The Battle Of Hastings was in one field, in one day. Ish.
The broader events of 1066 only included a handful of battles in fields. These battles don't seem to fit a clean 2 vs 2 model at all for factions - Harold was defeated by his brother Harald, who was defeated by William, who then also defeated Harold... that's a messy triangle already, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david trenkwitz wrote:

3.) The Ottoman Empire during the times of Suleimann the Magnificent, or the Sieges of Vienna 1529 / 1683

I like the sounds of this.

Hapsburgs + Italians/Venice?

vs

Ottomans + France?

The only problem is it would involved a lot of naval stuff, which is new ground for the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
david trenkwitz wrote:

I like the sounds of this.

Hapsburgs + Italians/Venice?

vs

Ottomans + France?

The only problem is it would involved a lot of naval stuff, which is new ground for the system.
I'd say that's an opportunity. Adding Naval dice sounds like a perfectly valid twist for one game. You'd still have area control etc, it's not like they're firing nukes across entire oceans. I think that could work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to tell you why the Second Punic War is the best choice, mostly every board gamer that is in to history likes, loves or find it very interesting. Some people compare the 2nd Punic War as kind of a world war at that time period, because of the involvement of so many powerful nations and factions (Carthage, Rome, and Numidia, Macedonia, Greece, Syracuse, different factions of Spaniards and Gauls etc….). I would believe that any gamer that likes the ancient era will have no problem backing it (2nd Punic War) in the next Birth of Europe Series.
The game will be somewhat like combining Carthage vs. Rome game and C&C Ancients game in which both are popular games.
The visual factor will attract new gamers besides the great game mechanics, and colorful map the different miniatures will be a factor too. Who can resist miniatures of units that represent Phalanxes, Legions, Auxiliaries, War bands of Spain, and Gaul (barbarians) different types of cavalry, Trireme units (ships), Generals, and of course Elephants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something involving Charlemagne's empire, either building it or keeping it together after his death? Pretty much every European king tried to trace his lineage to Charlemagne, so that definitely fits the "birth" theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.