Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two in the works right now:

Liberadores, about the revolutions across Latin America against Spain, and 1846, about the Mexican-American war.

What are your thoughts on other games for the Americas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil war era one could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:

Liberadores, about the revolutions across Latin America against Spain, and 1846, about the Mexican-American war.

Mexican-American War would fit in with the other three, but I'd think a game about the Latin American revolutions would be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sound like good topics and I can't think of anymore. I'm not sure how well the U.S. Civil War or the westward expansion would translate using the system. For the U.S. Civil War, perhaps it would work if the Union player had more stringent victory conditions. My vote would be to let the series run its course before it jumps the shark.

My thought would be to focus on the Birth of Europe series as there are so many interesting topics stretching over a millennia.

A couple of other spin-offs I'd like to see are:
1) The Birth of Civilization series. Egypt, Assyria, Greece, Macedonia (Alexander the Great), Persia, The Successor kingdoms after Alexander's death, Rome, Polynesian expansion into the Pacific... Fertile ground here for gaming.
2) The Birth of Asia series. A Fuedal Japan game would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bethancourt
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to Libertadores !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost interestingly I watch Gangs Of New York last night, and 1846 was all over it. And of course it had me thinking about stocks, shares and little hexagons...

Is there a risk that making 1846 would be very confusing and cause an issue with the 18xx game of the same name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's everyone's feeling on a Crusades-based game in this series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
What's everyone's feeling on a Crusades-based game in this series?

For the Americas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, sorry. Had two windows open at the same time with similar topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how it would be done, but the First Barons War was a result of the Magna Carta. That influenced all western governments and was a profound influence on the American Constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Both sound like good topics and I can't think of anymore. I'm not sure how well the U.S. Civil War or the westward expansion would translate using the system. For the U.S. Civil War, perhaps it would work if the Union player had more stringent victory conditions. My vote would be to let the series run its course before it jumps the shark.

My thought would be to focus on the Birth of Europe series as there are so many interesting topics stretching over a millennia.

A couple of other spin-offs I'd like to see are:
1) The Birth of Civilization series. Egypt, Assyria, Greece, Macedonia (Alexander the Great), Persia, The Successor kingdoms after Alexander's death, Rome, Polynesian expansion into the Pacific... Fertile ground here for gaming.
2) The Birth of Asia series. A Fuedal Japan game would be cool.

+5,000,000 on the Feudal Japan idea. Hideyoshi's two generals (Konishi and Kato) vs. Korea and China
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game on the native American wars?

Northwest Indian War (1787-1795)
Great Sioux War of 1876
A series on the Navajo Wars?

Just some thoughts....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas folks.

The Civil War seems to be a given, although probably the one with so much emotion attached that will take forever to get perfect.

Apparently we need to be doing a Birth of Asia series. I think there's 1,000,002 votes for feudal Japan, but that math may not be accurate.

And why stop there?

Birth of Africa with the Boer War anyone???

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
Great ideas folks.

The Civil War seems to be a given, although probably the one with so much emotion attached that will take forever to get perfect.

Apparently we need to be doing a Birth of Asia series. I think there's 1,000,002 votes for feudal Japan, but that math may not be accurate.

And why stop there?

Tim

All nice ideas, but isn't the fundamental commonality here that the "Birth Of" serii use this core simple cube war system? How many times is it fun to reimplement the same thing??

I've long compared this system (Which needs a proper name!) to the COIN games, (Which is the COIN system.. it has a proper name!). Not depth wise by any means, but the 2 vs 2 style, and geographic scales involved. They're on their... 7th game now I think, Ghandi? I expect there are more... but at what time to you start flogging that horse a bit too much?

Bringing COIN thoughts to the front though, there must be *some* clever tweak to the system (Birth of... cubes being moved... how about the "Birther Movement" system?) one fantastic twist could be making the "allied" factions be able to differentiate themselves for a single win, despite having 90% the same cause. COINlite(r)(tm)(c)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Bringing COIN thoughts to the front though, there must be *some* clever tweak to the system (Birth of... cubes being moved... how about the "Birther Movement" system?) one fantastic twist could be making the "allied" factions be able to differentiate themselves for a single win, despite having 90% the same cause. COINlite(r)(tm)(c)

I second the single faction victory conditions.

I think the hit-run-blank dice system could be used in a variety of games. M44 has a similar system but the dice rolling is a much smaller part of the game. Those epic late game dice fests make 1775 and 1754 really stand apart.

A more "tactical" game system could feature the BoA dice but instead of factions there would be infantry, cavalry and artillery. A more modern conflict would feature inf., armor, airplanes etc.

Sorry to get off topic but I really could get into a tactical 2 player system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
A more "tactical" game system could feature the BoA dice but instead of factions there would be infantry, cavalry and artillery. A more modern conflict would feature inf., armor, airplanes etc.
For no reason at all, and totally out of context to you, honest.. keep an eye out for the follow up to 1754 ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlofBronze wrote:
A game on the native American wars?

Northwest Indian War (1787-1795)
Great Sioux War of 1876
A series on the Navajo Wars?

Just some thoughts....

+1 on this idea

VPG offers a game called Mound Builders that goes back much further in time as well. Interesting topic that I haven't seen explored much. Be great if there's a way to game the Indian culture/wars through the centuries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:

At the staff meeting today the boss suggested that 1846 be a double sided board, with the Mexican American war on one side, and the Texas Revolution on the other side.

Seems like a great idea to me. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
Tim of Academy wrote:

At the staff meeting today the boss suggested that 1846 be a double sided board, with the Mexican American war on one side, and the Texas Revolution on the other side.

Yes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
Tim of Academy wrote:

Sounds good! I spoke with Uwe regarding Liberadores a couple of years ago and I could tell he was really enthusiastic about the project. As a timeline follow-on, ask Uwe to consider the Civil War. Not sure how big the board would have be to include good tactical/strategic options... Perhaps a double-sided board for the Eastern and Western theaters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Tim of Academy wrote:
Tim of Academy wrote:

Excellent idea, I think double sided boards and/or packaging upcoming games in a series as expansions would greatly increase the amount of games you sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
Tim of Academy wrote:

I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
Great ideas folks.

And why stop there?

Tim

If your doing the Birth of Asia series, you could do :

1) Warring States- The Warring States period in China is the birth of China as an Empire/nation.

2) Feudal Japan - Oda Nobunaga and the founding of the Togagowa shogunate is a given

3) 3 Kingdoms: The quest for control of China that had been broken up after the fall of the Han. This would make a great 3 or 6 player.

4) Maurya Empire: Ashoka and the founding of the Maurya Dynasty

5) Mongol Conquest: Genghis/Kublais conquest of China

6) Arab Conquest: The rise of Islam and its creation of empire and most of the modern states of the Middle east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hedekar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it wasn't a war, but the near-war surrounding the Oregon Treaty of 1846 and the general Oregon dispute (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_boundary_dispute) would be an interesting addition to the series. Naval forces, Russian interest, a region that doesn't have much board-game love... could be fun if done well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Ortiz
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm from Costa Rica, the idea of Libertadores sounds amazing. You have my vote and a copy sold already!

"The conquest of the Incan empire" would be a really neat setting too, would have a lot of terrain-based bonus or Something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.