Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb

When I heard this game was going out of print, I decided to buy a copy along with both of the mini-expansions (Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game – Witch Hunter Expansion Pack and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game – Trollslayer Expansion Pack). This is a fun co-op game for 1-4 players with lots of good decisions to make. It also offers a reasonable amount of replayability.

It comes with four heroes, each of which can be upgraded in a variety of different ways during the campaign: (1) you start with four basic action cards, and each of these can be upgraded to an advanced action card, (2) you can earn legendary cards that are unique to your character -- there are three possible legendary upgrades per character, and (3) you can earn gear cards along the way -- there are 33 gear cards.

It comes with two adventures: (1) a five-mission campaign-style adventure, and (2) a stand-alone "delve quest." I was vary sorry to see the game went out of print before additional adventures were released. But, I'm happy to say I have found a couple of unofficial fan-created adventures here on Board Game Geek.
Custom Quest -- Labyrinth Of The Minotaur
Custom Quest -- The Plagues

As noted above, two additional heroes were releases using a print-on-demand format, but those are also out of print and are very expensive at this point (and, unless you absolutely love the game, they are probably not worth the price right now).

It comes with 50 enemy cards, including 3 each of 15 different monsters (2 regular and 1 elite) and 5 unique nemesis enemies. It also includes 26 location cards including and 4 nemeses lairs. While it is always be nice to have more, this seems like enough to get several solid plays out of the game once you factor in the different types of adventures and the four different heroes.

I also found that the co-op (i.e., automated monster) mechanic / algorithm works well, and there were lots of good decisions to make re: what actions to take. For example, you get four action cards per character (rest, attack, explore, and aid). As mentioned earlier, these actions can be upgraded during the campaign. And, while all characters have access to the same actions, each hero's version of the action are VERY different. And, once you use an action you cannot use it again until you use the action card that has the "prepare icon" on it (and the action card with the prepare icon on it is different for each hero). So, you are constantly trying to balance the best available action at a given time with the need to prepare any previously used actions.

All things considered, I'm glad I was able to get a copy of this before it went out of print (even the base game without any expansions is worth it). The box is small so it doesn't take up much room on my game shelf. There are a number of good decisions to make, and there is good amount of replayability.

NOTE: Special thanks to those who posted the images used in this review. Click on images for original photo credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this one too. It's far more playable than others of its ilk, like Mistfall.

I would have liked to have seen expansions but the game stands on its own as is and is a worthwhile acquisition all by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi guys,

i saw it on offer second hand locally but was wondering how it compares to Pathfinder the card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.