7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Eldritch Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Gauder
Canada
flag msg tools
I have a friend of a friend that is getting rid of his Eldritch horror collection. He has the base game and 4 expansions. He tells me that everything complete, although everything is mixed together and I will have to sort it back down to the base game and separate expansions if I want to start playing from the beginning. Never having played Eldritch Horror before... can anyone tell me what kind of task that would be? Is everything labeled to its expansion and easy to separate? Or am I in for another kind of Horror before I even get playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every card has an expansion symbol, so you can easily sort them out.

Although Eldritch is a very clever design when it comes to expansions. You don't need to separate all the stuff - just play the game without the sideboards (if any of the expansions feature those) and apart from some minor rules additions (like "Focus"), you have the same game as the base game, but with much more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All expansion cards have the "icon" for that expansion, so it might be tedious but not nightmareish. Ultimately, why? Why would you want to separate the cards? Just play the game with everything mixed in as is, and just don't play any of the side boards. Most of the content in the expansions is either "more of the same" (i.e. more location cards, more heroes, more GOOs, more item cards), or a side board, which is completely dependent on the GOO you play (or one other way, I always forget).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As the others have said Eldritch is best played with everything mixed in as it just adds more variety not more complexity.

The old ones are where the extra rules/boards/special side decks come in so in your case I'd find a list of those by expansion starting with the base set ones and work through those in order which will introduce the various elements in the order they were introduced.

The only thing I'd likely not use from the start would be the prelude cards, perhaps save them for the second playing of each old one as they can add a little extra complexity.

The two main rules that are added from the expansion are:
Focus - this is really simple and should have been in the base game, I wouldn't want to play without it.
Impairment tokens: Again very easy, just an variety of the Improvement tokens from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't separate it. I mixed in 2 expansions before my first play and no regrets. Otherwise if you start with only the base game, it has so few encounter cards that you could spoil them all in one playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is NO point to unmixing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murdock426 wrote:
I have a friend of a friend that is getting rid of his Eldritch horror collection. He has the base game and 4 expansions. He tells me that everything complete, although everything is mixed together and I will have to sort it back down to the base game and separate expansions if I want to start playing from the beginning. Never having played Eldritch Horror before... can anyone tell me what kind of task that would be? Is everything labeled to its expansion and easy to separate? Or am I in for another kind of Horror before I even get playing?

Take it off him, put the sideboards away for now. Job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.