Subject: Experience with game stores not receiving enough copies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I preordered Essex County Express at my gaming store but they didn't receive enough copies to fulfill all of their preorders. I unfortunately didn't receive one as a result and need to wait until more come in which I don't really mind at all.

I was curious though to people who may know more about this whether this means that I'll need to wait for the reprint of this pack or whether there are still copies floating around distribution that the store can get earlier.

Asking here because I wasn't able to get these questions answered at the store by the staff there and was wondering if anyone else went through this for previous products and had some insight.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Distributors aren't shipping enough to stores because they aren't getting enough from FFG. The game is more popular than FFG's initial print run estimate. There's plenty of discussions about being unable to get it at local stores so I'd say the odds of product showing up before the reprint hits is very low. There will be stock floating around in stores themselves.

Here's another similar discussion

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1746618/why-only-one-day-su...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Ok, that's unfortunate but understandable. Any idea of how long reprints normally take? I assume it won't come out before the next expansion drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can follow all FFG releases and reprints here:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Dunwich Legacy and Miscatonic museum reprints are "On the Boat" right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite FFG's claim to love Game Stores. It is clear that you are better off using an online store or a subscription service for this game.

Hopefully this situation lets FFG realize the importance of such services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only going to your FLGS for product purchase, then you are correct; FLGS cannot compete with OLGS for price or availability. The sooner all FLGS go out of business for this, the less frustration we will all have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Despite FFG's claim to love Game Stores. It is clear that you are better off using an online store or a subscription service for this game.

Everyone was shorted - online and FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local game store, Madness in Dallas, only got two copies of Myskatonic Museum but had at least a dozen of the Essex County Express. They are a large store and usually get piles and piles of new FFG releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardhaus has Essex County:
http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/arkham_horror_th...

Quantity was 1 before and after I ordered so I think they have an unknown number and are using that to limit 1 per order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
One who fully grasps Bayes' Theorem, yet remains in our universe to aid others, is known as a Bayesattva.
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone in Indianapolis, Family Time Games has copies of Essex Cty Express and Dunwich Legacy. But is sold out of Miskatonic Museum. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-Bit Bastard
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been unable to get anything from the dunwich cycle yet. It is very frustrating. But once FFG get the numbers together there will be enough product to go around in the future. Here's hoping anyways. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Perhaps but I've gotten all the expansion packs so far from TC within one day of release. I haven't heard of anyone with a TC subscription being shorted yet, so it's been worth the $2 shipping for me.

I tried to get the core from my LGS, my preorder wasn't fulfilled and they didn't tell me until I called a week after it was due. Then they put me on a list for the next shipment, never called me or told me I missed out on that round too. So I got a refund and picked up the core as a preorder from CSI and all the expansions from TC. Won't be going back to the LGS for any game in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Davis
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathological_RJ wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Perhaps but I've gotten all the expansion packs so far from TC within one day of release. I haven't heard of anyone with a TC subscription being shorted yet, so it's been worth the $2 shipping for me.

I tried to get the core from my LGS, my preorder wasn't fulfilled and they didn't tell me until I called a week after it was due. Then they put me on a list for the next shipment, never called me or told me I missed out on that round too. So I got a refund and picked up the core as a preorder from CSI and all the expansions from TC. Won't be going back to the LGS for any game in the future.

What is TC and/or the TC subscription?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Team Covenant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to pick up the expansions packs, but unfortunately all the online stores I deal with in Canada are out of stock, and when they do have an expansion pack in stock, other expansions packs are not and so placing an order (considering shipping costs) is not worth it unless you place a large order. Placing multiple orders is not convenient or cost efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:

How can you be sure that they are getting enough of each pack to fulfill their subscriptions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. That's a good question. You'd think they were subject to the same uncertainty as other retailers, but you know what CSI also seems very reliable at fulfilling it's preoders and they close their preorders when they think they can't meet demand. I've never had them say sorry we didn't receive enough from our distributors. So what's the difference between these OLGSs and the brick and mortar FLGSs. Is there some inside knowledge that they have that the regular retailers do not? Maybe they have a stronger relationship with the distributor or are getting the product through some other source.

Not trying to put a tinfoil hat on, but I am curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I don't know. That's a good question. You'd think they were subject to the same uncertainty as other retailers, but you know what CSI also seems very reliable at fulfilling it's preoders and they close their preorders when they think they can't meet demand. I've never had them say sorry we didn't receive enough from our distributors. So what's the difference between these OLGSs and the brick and mortar FLGSs. Is there some inside knowledge that they have that the regular retailers do not? Maybe they have a stronger relationship with the distributor or are getting the product through some other source.

Not trying to put a tinfoil hat on, but I am curious.

Large number statistics versus small number statistics.

If you sell 200 boxes it is easier to cover variation then if you sell 2.

If you sell 200 then you can more easily plan your order.

If you are an online seller you sell to the world.

If you are a local seller you sell to your city.

I have never had a preorder canceled from an Online retailer.

When the Pathfinder Card Game came out a few years ago. I did an experiment. I preordered two copies. One from a FLGS and one from an OLGS.

The OLGS store delivered on time at release.

The FLGS called me two months later and said they might be able to get me copy in a week if I was still interested.

Unless you have a Great FLGS you are really taking a big risk in ordering from them with any game on the Hotness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I was able to order a copy yesterday through Cardhaus and it should arrive on Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
CSI also seems very reliable at fulfilling it's preoders and they close their preorders when they think they can't meet demand.

I've pre-ordered the first three of the mythos decks from CSI and the two that have been released have been shipped without a problem. However, despite a $6 flat-rate shipping charge it's taking 9 days to travel from FL to NJ. I've had materials shipped from the UK arrive quicker. Depending on how quickly you want something there might be other options, but I am rather surprised at how slow $6 shipping really is.

EDIT: This is really my first experience with a LCG and despite really liking the game, I don't enjoy scrambling to make a pre-order or feeling like I need to join a subscription-based service to make sure I get copies as they're released. I am an unabashed fan of all things Cthulhu but the way the release and retail availability of this title has been going, I'm finding that I am rapidly losing interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Yeah it's kind of annoying but I'm hopeful that for the next cycle Fantasy Flight will have more copies printed so that we don't need to make this mad rush.

On a sidenote, the rational side of me is saying that I should be fine with waiting a few weeks or even a few months for reprints, but the stronger gamer side makes me compulsively want to have everything at launch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
I've pre-ordered the first three of the mythos decks from CSI and the two that have been released have been shipped without a problem. However, despite a $6 flat-rate shipping charge it's taking 9 days to travel from FL to NJ. I've had materials shipped from the UK arrive quicker. Depending on how quickly you want something there might be other options, but I am rather surprised at how slow $6 shipping really is.

Yeah Fedex Smartpost is the absolute worst. It's hard to imagine how they are even saving money since they must be paying USPS for the final delivery. But somehow the handoff from Fedex to USPS adds an unreal amount of days to the delivery.

Edit: I just checked and all my CSI orders had taken 2 days except the latest with Smartpost which took 7 days—getting to the usual local Fedex hub in 2 days and then passing through various other Fedex and USPS handling stations for 5 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ishield wrote:
Yeah it's kind of annoying but I'm hopeful that for the next cycle Fantasy Flight will have more copies printed so that we don't need to make this mad rush.

On a sidenote, the rational side of me is saying that I should be fine with waiting a few weeks or even a few months for reprints, but the stronger gamer side makes me compulsively want to have everything at launch.

This is me, even if I am not necessarily going to play it right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone missed out on a copy of Essex County Express there is one being given away at the end of our video today.

https://youtu.be/6LcOtAfdBnw

You don’t even have to watch the video! But you do have to be a subscriber to win. But you can always unsubscribe after you win. If you are that kind of fellow

The Arkham Chronicle Gang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.