Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Campaigning questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1) Is it intended that we read the description or "first parts" of a scenario before we actually commit to it? There are some parts of the campaign that based on the flavor text so far (i.e. at the end of previous scenario) we wouldn't know what the next place is or why we would be going there exactly. Then when we go there blindly, it all makes sense, but ??? It seems like it'd be intended to read some sort of description about what the scenario is in the first place...

2) The rulebook under campaigning says that once any party completes a scenario in campaign mode, no other party can do it in campaign mode (casual only). Doesn't this immediately prevent other parties from getting critical party achievements and unlocking other things in the campaign? Is it intended that there is only one "main party"?

3) Seems obvious but wanted to double check - does everyone check off the treasure chest numbers in the index when they're looted, and also the checkbox by the scenario name/number once it's been completed? Does anyone cross out the treasure chests in the book itself on the scenario maps to remind future selves that that chest was already looted, without risking spoiling the chest by looking at the index?

4) Do you do anything to the world map once a global achievement has caused a scenario to become inaccessible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Vehementi wrote:
1) Is it intended that we read the description or "first parts" of a scenario before we actually commit to it? There are some parts of the campaign that based on the flavor text so far (i.e. at the end of previous scenario) we wouldn't know what the next place is or why we would be going there exactly. Then when we go there blindly, it all makes sense, but ??? It seems like it'd be intended to read some sort of description about what the scenario is in the first place...

I would not read the introduction text until I had chosen to do the scenario and done a road event (if applicable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
You should read the pre-requisites and the links. Nothing more.

We planned to do one once, did the road event, then looked at the scenario and found we didn't have the pre-requisite, so now we check beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vehementi wrote:

I hear what you're saying. Perhaps if you are having trouble deciding which of the available scenarios you want to do you could read the intro text of each as a tie-breaker?
Actually, in light of the answer to your question 4, it might be worth doing that as routine to limit how often you decide to go to some location just to find it's been locked out.

Vehementi wrote:
2) The rulebook under campaigning says that once any party completes a scenario in campaign mode, no other party can do it in campaign mode (casual only). Doesn't this immediately prevent other parties from getting critical party achievements and unlocking other things in the campaign? Is it intended that there is only one "main party"?

I'm not far enough into the campaign to say, but certainly based on scenarios #1 and #2 it seems a little weird. If the intent is to avoid a party from doing #2 and having the text not make sense because they haven't previously done #1, then why can't the second party get the party achievement in casual mode?

Of course, if a party achievement represents some unique item that relates to the storyline in some scenario, that's harder to deal with... but if the party who just happened to get that achievement goes on hiatus for six months you'll just have to house-rule something. Probably something along the lines of "Party B tracks down Party A and mugs them for the item" (mechanically: transfer the party achievement)

Vehementi wrote:
3) Seems obvious but wanted to double check - does everyone check off the treasure chest numbers in the index when they're looted, and also the checkbox by the scenario name/number once it's been completed? Does anyone cross out the treasure chests in the book itself on the scenario maps to remind future selves that that chest was already looted, without risking spoiling the chest by looking at the index?

I check the box in the index, and cross out the chest on the map, in sharpie

Vehementi wrote:
4) Do you do anything to the world map once a global achievement has caused a scenario to become inaccessible?

I don't know which achievements are required to access the scenarios I have available, or which will lock them out. If I notice that a scenario is locked out - most likely just after we decide to try that scenario - I'll probably mark the map so it doesn't happen over and over. More than likely with a different mark so I know it's a good candidate for casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:
I don't know which achievements are required to access the scenarios I have available, or which will lock them out. If I notice that a scenario is locked out - most likely just after we decide to try that scenario - I'll probably mark the map so it doesn't happen over and over. More than likely with a different mark so I know it's a good candidate for casual play.

Just remember there are some scenario(s) which can NEVER be unlocked for a given campaign in either casual or competitive mode due to the choices that were made.

In theory, once you finish the campaign and every other legal scenario, you can houserule to play those blocked-off scenarios in casual mode if you really want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
#1 is a group by group thing. Since some introductions explain how you get sent to wherever the dungeon is, it's hard to RP deciding where to go until you've read at least a little bit of the intro. So, I read part of the intro for each scenario and then we decide where to go. Just whatever we'd learn in town, generally speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vehementi wrote:

I only mark the index of chests in the back of the book. I figure if I can't remember that a chest has been looted, then my characters won't either. Then when they try to open an already looted chest, they'll just find it empty. Hasn't been an issue so far, but the game is still pretty fresh on my mind and I haven't had to go back and replay old scenarios (except ones I just tried).

Edit: I'm only playing this solo, and don't have to worry about multiple play groups. Would still be thematic to do this IMO, but could get frustrating for players to have a chest they've never come across yet to be empty by another adventuring group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
you could use these for easier management:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1736518/treasure-chest-card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archr wrote:
I only mark the index of chests in the back of the book. I figure if I can't remember that a chest has been looted, then my characters won't either. Then when they try to open an already looted chest, they'll just find it empty. Hasn't been an issue so far, but the game is still pretty fresh on my mind and I haven't had to go back and replay old scenarios (except ones I just tried).

I thought you don't even place a treasure overlay down if the chest has already been looted?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This makes a difference to the battle goal to loot a treasure overlay tile

Morthai's cards would be useful though; you could find the card at the start of the scenario and leave it face-down next to the board. Then you know if the chest is still there, and if it is it's quick to reveal when you actually loot it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:

I thought you don't even place a treasure overlay down if the chest has already been looted?

That's actually a good question...

I sharpie through the chest on the scenario setup page as well as the index.

I mark Completed quests by filling in the box with a black dot on the map sticker's box.

I mark quests that are locked out by Global Achievements with a red dot on its box on the map sticker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I find it necessary, especially in the case of random side scenarios, to read at least the first part of the introduction for the unlocked scenario. Otherwise, you have no idea why that scenario is unlocked. Did you find a map? Some other clue? I personally like the stories this game creates, so choosing to play a scenario without knowing how we even know that location exists just doesn't work for us thematically.

Plus, I keep track of our party's "story" by writing thematic session reports on a blog. Each week, I have a poll so that players (and anyone who follows the blog) can vote on which scenario we should do next. To do this, I need to give a brief teaser about what that scenario is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:

CrushU wrote:
That's actually a good question...

The bolded text on page 14 states, "Treasure tiles can only be looted once" so I guess you're stuck if you're replaying.

The FAQ states that "goal" treasure tiles do get reset (because otherwise you couldn't replay the mission I assume), so those missions would be better if you drew that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.